Fake pricing epidemy on POE.trade to abuse sellers on purpose

"
Sochana wrote:
"
I wish there was a "false listing" report button alongside items in poe.trade. So after you message a person and they don't answer for a minute you can click the report button. If it gets five unique reports in an hour the item is taken down. I think it would help things out immensely without too much griefing happening. It wouldn't hurt most honest players, because most honest players aren't going to ignore five people buying the same item in an hour. If the item has already sold in that hour and people are reporting the item, taking the listing down hurts no one.

The only place it would really hurt someone is if a currency item was reported.

Make it so that same item can't be put up by the same player for 24 hours. Less false offers (but not NO false offers), allows people to do something about it, and might clear up 4 people price fixing the whole market.

Nice idea but it cannot work.

If you have some friends or a guild with you and want to sell very rare/pricey item. You just have to report the cheapest in order to be the only seller or the cheapest. Ofc we can also ban these kind of player but the overall complexity is enhanced instead of having a simple system.

The fact is that GGG could make a pretty simple system to sell/buy items but GGG doesn't want to, so we have to deal with all the problem that come with it.

Yeah, price fixers usually use guilds or many bot accounts to manipulate prices. With "report" feature, they'll be able to "report spam" anyone they want (for example, players with higher prices), to abuse trade system even more! That is literally the worse PoE.trade could do, actually.
Only GGG can fix "fake offers", and for that, they must implement a trading system without so-called "player interaction", so when buyer pushes "buy" button, he gets an item, and seller loses an item automatically (so he cant "reject an offer") and receives currency paid for it.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Sep 11, 2017, 3:44:48 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
I can't believe GGG doesn't do anything. This is no better than botting.

GGG are in a strange spot with this, because of their resistance to including this feature within the game.

They don't own poe.trade, so it's funky for them to penalise players for 'ab'using the system that they don't own. Of course they own the API that allows it, but the issue lies with the sites that aggregate this information rather than GGG themselves.

It's also not uncommon for regular players to massively undervalue their stuff. I used to just throw all jewelry into a '1c' tab for chaos recipe and a few times added very valuable items to this tab without realising the real value. By the definition, this would be scamming, despite not intending to deceive.

Basically it's tough for GGG to come down on players that abuse systems that are essentially not controlled by GGG.

Of course as you say, they could solve this issue with an Auction House, i'm not sure why they're so resistant to it TBH. I can imagine it would take a chunk of server power but with the recent numbers bump with 3.0 I reckon they could justify the expense...
"
casper0010 wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

GGG are in a strange spot with this, because of their resistance to including this feature within the game.

They don't own poe.trade, so it's funky for them to penalise players for 'ab'using the system that they don't own. Of course they own the API that allows it, but the issue lies with the sites that aggregate this information rather than GGG themselves.

It's also not uncommon for regular players to massively undervalue their stuff. I used to just throw all jewelry into a '1c' tab for chaos recipe and a few times added very valuable items to this tab without realising the real value. By the definition, this would be scamming, despite not intending to deceive.

Basically it's tough for GGG to come down on players that abuse systems that are essentially not controlled by GGG.

Of course as you say, they could solve this issue with an Auction House, i'm not sure why they're so resistant to it TBH. I can imagine it would take a chunk of server power but with the recent numbers bump with 3.0 I reckon they could justify the expense...

There's also the reason that some players (myself included) don't want GGG to get involved with trading at all. I'm in the boat that wants GGG to focus on leagues, expansions, and progression with the game. Micro managing trading so that everything is "fair" detracts from that. Price fixing is not new, most people know about it and can spot it. I suppose some number of new players get burned, but without real numbers, and just not assumptions, I'd be surprised if they ever did anything to fix it.
"
seanxjohnson wrote:
"
casper0010 wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

There's also the reason that some players (myself included) don't want GGG to get involved with trading at all. I'm in the boat that wants GGG to focus on leagues, expansions, and progression with the game. Micro managing trading so that everything is "fair" detracts from that. Price fixing is not new, most people know about it and can spot it. I suppose some number of new players get burned, but without real numbers, and just not assumptions, I'd be surprised if they ever did anything to fix it.

Ehh, I know what you mean but these days this should just be a feature out of the box. Having an AH would just make everything about trading so much simpler. Look up item>Buy item. Vendor gets to sell their stuff even if they're in the lab or mapping, buyer gets their stuff without having to spend forever trying to find someone that replies to sell you their thing.

It's not necessarily about price fixing, but the ease of getting and selling your items would be massively improved. I HATE when someone tries to buy something and i'm just starting an uber lab run, I lose the sale or they have to wait for me.

Maybe i'm just naive regarding this, but I don't think it would take much away from development of leagues or an expansion to add this feature and would only add to the trading part of the game.
poe is not concerned with fraud fam. The consider it a player thing and they historically never cared about scums
Yeah, some sort of AH would be great.

I don't see a huge problem in the scamming, cause you can check poe-trade and will be able to get the "real" prices rather fast.

I just don't like whispering 20 people and getting no response or getting "I'm in lab" as answers 90% of the times.

As mentioned, having an AH with simple sell/buy mechanics and a filter system shouldn't be too hard to implement and would greatly improve trading.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
In meantime just play SSF if you don't want to be exposed to all the scams going on out there.

Well, if the SSF drop rates were tuned for it, I would.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
Tbh a personal list of sellers, that I want hidden from poe.trade would help. Also a filter on the age of listings. Those could be countered by creating fake accounts and relisting, which in turn can be limited by a flter on the age of acounts.
P.s. I believe you can implement the filtering based on a personal blacklist on client side, via java script.
"
majna wrote:
Tbh a personal list of sellers, that I want hidden from poe.trade would help. Also a filter on the age of listings. Those could be countered by creating fake accounts and relisting, which in turn can be limited by a flter on the age of acounts.
P.s. I believe you can implement the filtering based on a personal blacklist on client side, via java script.

It already exists. There is a browser extension.
U MAD?
"
Docbp87 wrote:
"
emulatin wrote:
waiting for the price fix mafia to take over this thread and make everyone believe that poe.trade is faultless

The system is fine. The players are the problem.

I give you the second place, regarding the most stupid comment of 2017. sorry the first place is already taken.

Nice try, trying to appear intelligent. It didn't work too well though.

To the point: Any system will be abused, or at the very least some will try to abuse it. That's why systems are designed IRL to be the total opposite of what GGG is doing. Can't wait for newbies honeymoon to end and a massive shit-storm to happen.

In all case though, especially games using a support system, if you want things to change stop giving money until the change is made.
Last edited by Mischief67 on Sep 11, 2017, 12:39:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info