When will the death exp penalty be removed?

"
Doomstryver wrote:
"
raics wrote:
"
Doomstryver wrote:
I'm fine with the journey to 100 taking an eon, as I'm likely to definitely retire it by then, but the fact that you can lose so much progress through any combination of server lag, general idiocy and yolo maps (isn't this the main benefit of playing softcore?) is really quite harrowing.

How would they pull the eon thing without death penalty then? Getting an unnoticeable amount of exp from one map is hardly the better way to go about it. The feeling of progression and setback is preferable in my book than no progression and no setback.

Besides, pulling a tl;dr on map mods doesn't strike me as something good, you should be punished for general idiocy and taking yolo maps lightly.

It takes an eon even without death penalty. Not all of us want our brains to slowly leak out of our ears as we chain shaped strand 12 hours a day.

It doesn't matter, lvl 100 is useless.

I never reached lvl 99 in Diablo 2 (always stopped playing a character at lvl 92 and started another one), and I will never reach lvl 100 in PoE, and I still enjoy the game. If I try getting lvl 100 I'd probably get bored as hell and definitely stop playing the game.
Last edited by AsbelFar on Mar 27, 2017, 10:37:24 AM
The game have a reputation of being a hard game, why it have to be easier or softer because it's "SC" ?
SC in PoE don't mean that because you choose the mod which allow you to die an infinite amount of time the game will instantly become a road to level 100 guaranteed like in every MMO.
PoE is not about that, you play well and know the game in every aspect then you have a chance to reach the ultimate level. Playing badly with yolo map and then you'll never reach that. Period.

PoE was never "sold" as a casual game, I'm a casual for a long time now, I have one templar 96... I was sometimes really angry on this road but I know why and don't blame the game to be what it is.
... nothing
Last edited by __Z__ on Mar 27, 2017, 11:28:25 AM
"
__Z__ wrote:
The game have a reputation of being a hard game, why it have to be easier or softer because it's "SC" ?

Thats the most false opinion and illusion the fanboys here believe in about this game.
There is no actual fact or proof that POE is a hard game.

All friends that I have invited to POE have quit because the game is superb easy as long as you follow the meta builds.
This game requiere almost no player skill such as reflex, positioning, fast decisions, teamplay, combos and fast learning. The only requierement is to know how to build character by abusing the game mechanic or simply copy-pasting a build. Thats no player skill, since its ONE TIME challange. You do it for few hours at max, and then you are set, no more player skill requiered at all.

POE is not hard game at all. Eeverybody with a bit of self respect will say so. I have played to many games to consider this one hard. I invite you to play rhytmic games like guitar hero, stepmania, bullethell games like touhou and simply FPS games like titanfall, battlefield or old plain CS.
Those requiere you to really have some skill in solo or teamplay if you really want to be good at them.
Go play them on highest difficulties or rankings, come here back and say "POE is hard".

POE is actualy just starting to get some hard elements in the game. They start to add bullet hell dodging mechanism to bosses. The traps in lab are also forcing you to think before you move. Ofcourse the game still require lot of changes for it to work, but ARPGS never were about skill, they were about just having fun from making builds and challanging yourself if thinking creative about it.
POE death penalty is limiting creativity, because balance is set around meta builds and everything else (with is also fun) is smashed and peed on. Thats the truth about POE, thats why we dont have milion of ARPG fans here.
"
herflik wrote:
All friends that I have invited to POE have quit because the game is superb easy as long as you follow the meta builds.

PoE isn't really an easy game in its core if you play it fair, however, let's say it currently has... low resistance to breaking? Something like the PSP remake of Tactics Ogre, it can be fairly hard if you noob it but if you know how to farm stats and which classes/weapons are broken it goes beyond cakewalk.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
herflik wrote:
"
__Z__ wrote:

Thats the most false opinion and illusion the fanboys here believe in about this game.
There is no actual fact or proof that POE is a hard game.

This game requiere almost no player skill such as reflex, positioning, fast decisions, teamplay, combos and fast learning. The only requierement is to know how to build character by abusing the game mechanic or simply copy-pasting a build. Thats no player skill, since its ONE TIME challange. You do it for few hours at max, and then you are set, no more player skill requiered at all.

POE is not hard game at all. Eeverybody with a bit of self respect will say so. I have played to many games to consider this one hard. I invite you to play rhytmic games like guitar hero, stepmania, bullethell games like touhou and simply FPS games like titanfall, battlefield or old plain CS.
Those requiere you to really have some skill in solo or teamplay if you really want to be good at them.
Go play them on highest difficulties or rankings, come here back and say "POE is hard".

POE is actualy just starting to get some hard elements in the game. They start to add bullet hell dodging mechanism to bosses. The traps in lab are also forcing you to think before you move. Ofcourse the game still require lot of changes for it to work, but ARPGS never were about skill, they were about just having fun from making builds and challanging yourself if thinking creative about it.
POE death penalty is limiting creativity, because balance is set around meta builds and everything else (with is also fun) is smashed and peed on. Thats the truth about POE, thats why we dont have milion of ARPG fans here.

I've just said that it's in fact hard to reach 100... indeed ? try it... Or go play HC if it's super easy...

... nothing
"
AsbelFar wrote:

It doesn't matter, lvl 100 is useless.

Can close the topic now.
I just bring the truth!

Tbh The xp penalty is a good thingy since if you die it should feel like you lost something.

In Sc you get -10% xp
In Hc well you char is dead and moved to Standard.

Couse if there where no Xp penelty for death in Sc I might as well go full
retard with a glass cannon build all the way up to 100. Since well i don't lose anyhting upon death.

The penalty is there to slow you down and think about your defences since if you die over, over and over again you are basicly stuck at that lvl and need to rethink your strategy to move forward,
wich a is a good thing.

The warrior turned to stone.
The maiden now of bone.
Together for eternity.
Shall never be alone.
I totally agreed that the 10% penalty is pretty harsh, but not to the point that it has to be removed,
maybe 5% from lvl 90 on or somewhat like that is okay to me.

Exp penalty itself encourages players to play cautiously, balance their stats and do some maths to optimize their characters (Yeah I do NOT deny that this game has various imbalance though), making the game considerably more challenging and worth some effort.

Above lvl 90-95 the 10% is really killing many players, and that's the disgusting point of this system, this is true, but the idea of penalty on death is imo somewhat vital to the game.

Just imagine the penalty got removed, then lots of players would just simply throw themselves at bosses that are far above their levels like retards and progress flawlessly, simple as that, and 95% of players would reach level 100 in like 1 or 2 weeks? In that case I would just recommend GGG remove/disable 50 - 70% of defensive nodes and double the effect the offensive nodes, bcuz dying is no big deal (the rest 30% - 50% is for those endgame 6 portals lul). Or more simply, just make the character immortal outside map areas.
Could you imagine how ruined the game would be?

Com'on my friends, reaching lvl 99 or 100 is not that important, have you ever seen any build that sucks just because it lacks 2 points to reach the vital keystones?

Long story short, the penalty should be REBALANCED for endgame stuff in my opinion, not removed, because losing nothing for your mistake makes PoE no longer worth any effort, just like a game for 6 years olds.
Or maybe they´ll make a separate league where you level up through dying.
Cast on Death is a thing, there are even builds that kill shaper while dead, so i believe that
playing the game while being dead is an aspect that needs to be explored more.
Clearly there are many SC players and players in general who want to be rewarded for dying.
Or if not rewarded , then at least not be punished. I think this is a very huge clientel
that GGG needs to cater to a little more. Maybe just remove health bar completely from the game
so that you can just experience the game without the fear of dying.
Death would mean nothing but your character screaming a little and then porting to town.
But maybe that would be bad too because you would have to walk back to the spot where you died.
So maybe a portal on death so that you don´t have to do all that dumb walking.
This could be considered a punishment as well. So yeah I definetely hear you.
Death is a concept that shouldn´t exist in this game.
When you git gud.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info