When will the death exp penalty be removed?

"
__Z__ wrote:
"
Tarille wrote:
Seems there's a lot of ePeen being thrown around in this thread...

People wanting SC to become HC so they can feel pro-1337 without having to actually commit to HC...

Games gotta be fun yo. This means for some people, they play HC and can show off proof that they have not died once on their character.

For others this means playing SC, if they don't want to deal with the one life aspect of HC for whatever reason (Lag, crashes, player skill, not wanting to play ultra-safe 100% of the time etc)

A punishment for dying is good. It makes death feel impactful. If it's fair it won't make you feel like you're wasting your time.

But something ridiculously harsh is stupid.

What next? "Dying in SC should delete your game so you have to re-install it again"
"Also, it'll fry your hard drive so you have to get a new one"
"It'll also ban your IP address so you have to move house"

Guys, if you want your ePeen, go play HC.

If you already play HC, then what the F do you care about SC players? They're not in your game so what does it matter if they're playing "Above the ability of their character"?

BECAUSE even if you are in SC this is Path oF Exile AND not D III. This must be hard even in SC, hard you know ? Hard is mostly not fun but more rewarding if you succeed. It's not easy to reach lev 100 even in SC, that's the game as it is and should be...

Why you people always bring D3 into these discussions I don´t know...

D3 does not even have a level cap!

The death penalty is quite unfun if you are a Casual, you can lose progress of a whole week, how is this supposed to lift someone's game experience?
I'm an eternal scrubcore player.

My opinion is that past 90, the XP penalty really comes into its own. Farming safe content (T12 and below - no rippy mods) will get you around 2-3% XP per map at this point and it only goes down as you get closer to 100. Dying once in a map sets you back atleast 2 maps, and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

I died twice on my level 91 in a T15 map with some rippy mods this league and I literally lost all interest in continuing my play session because I felt I had wasted so much time.
21/05/18 - The beginning of the end of PoE
"
Doomstryver wrote:

My opinion is that past 90, the XP penalty really comes into its own. Farming safe content (T12 and below - no rippy mods) will get you around 2-3% XP per map at this point and it only goes down as you get closer to 100. Dying once in a map sets you back atleast 2 maps, and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

I died twice on my level 91 in a T15 map with some rippy mods this league and I literally lost all interest in continuing my play session because I felt I had wasted so much time.

That's when you should retire that character and start up another. Max level in this game is set by the player and his choices. It's not 100 for every character. It's not 100 for every player. It's a soft cap. It's a soft cap for exactly the reason this thread exists. Soft cap is better than hard cap.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"
Doomstryver wrote:

That's when you should retire that character and start up another. Max level in this game is set by the player and his choices. It's not 100 for every character. It's not 100 for every player. It's a soft cap. It's a soft cap for exactly the reason this thread exists. Soft cap is better than hard cap.

It doesn't just boil down to that though. Sometimes its fun to keep progressing on a character. I'm fine with the journey to 100 taking an eon, as I'm likely to definitely retire it by then, but the fact that you can lose so much progress through any combination of server lag, general idiocy and yolo maps (isn't this the main benefit of playing softcore?) is really quite harrowing.
"
Doomstryver wrote:
I'm fine with the journey to 100 taking an eon, as I'm likely to definitely retire it by then, but the fact that you can lose so much progress through any combination of server lag, general idiocy and yolo maps (isn't this the main benefit of playing softcore?) is really quite harrowing.

How would they pull the eon thing without death penalty then? Getting an unnoticeable amount of exp from one map is hardly the better way to go about it. The feeling of progression and setback is preferable in my book than no progression and no setback.

Besides, pulling a tl;dr on map mods doesn't strike me as something good, you should be punished for general idiocy and taking yolo maps lightly.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
"
Doomstryver wrote:
I'm fine with the journey to 100 taking an eon, as I'm likely to definitely retire it by then, but the fact that you can lose so much progress through any combination of server lag, general idiocy and yolo maps (isn't this the main benefit of playing softcore?) is really quite harrowing.

How would they pull the eon thing without death penalty then? Getting an unnoticeable amount of exp from one map is hardly the better way to go about it. The feeling of progression and setback is preferable in my book than no progression and no setback.

Besides, pulling a tl;dr on map mods doesn't strike me as something good, you should be punished for general idiocy and taking yolo maps lightly.

It takes an eon even without death penalty. Not all of us want our brains to slowly leak out of our ears as we chain shaped strand 12 hours a day.
Nothing close to an eon. Not even close to a year. More than a month... typically. I'd call it a six month project at my play speed, though I have no intention of devoting that much time to a single goal.
"
__Z__ wrote:

BECAUSE even if you are in SC this is Path oF Exile AND not D III. This must be hard even in SC, hard you know ? Hard is mostly not fun but more rewarding if you succeed. It's not easy to reach lev 100 even in SC, that's the game as it is and should be...

You may have missed my earlier post in this thread, but I actually agree with the death penalty.

I like hard games and being punished for my mistakes. Heck, the Soul's series are my favourite games of all time (Even if you can figure out cheesy builds that make the game super easy)

But there's a difference between being punished for making a mistake by being set back a fair amount of experience and some of the things people are suggesting, like removing all experience for a level, actually being able to decrease in level or other such nonsense.

Like, that level of death penalty exists. It's called Hardcore. You lose ALL your levels AND items effectively.

People who want that kind of punishment can play that.

Leave Softcore people to have a harsh, but not excessively so, penalty.
Get to the final bar in experience. Stumble across some boss or rare mob that destroys me. Attempt several more times to figure what happened. Resets me back to zero.

Never. Freakin'. Fails.
And the white guys says, I'll have a Coke then.
"
Doomstryver wrote:

It takes an eon even without death penalty. Not all of us want our brains to slowly leak out of our ears as we chain shaped strand 12 hours a day.

If you're chaining shaped strand for 12 hours a day that's your fault both for wasting your life playing video games that much and wasting your video game time playing something you don't find fun. I agree that the higher more dangerous maps aren't rewarding enough compared to easier shaped maps though.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info