Developer Q&A - Answers Part 2

so basically we wont be getting any major trade improvements due to the fact that it would make it smoother and more enjoyable to trade so more people would do it, and due to imbalance in the game this would a huge problem... how about just fixing the power problem and give the community what they actually want??

and the argument that people will "leave a league earlier" if they get the gear they want is so bad, consider that people might also leave a league early due to the fact that trading is horrible. Plus i know i would be more enticed to play more in leagues and making new chars if trading wasnt horrible !
"
Have you given serious thought to providing people who don't like Labyrinth-style content options to play the rest of the game without going through the content they do not enjoy? Is there some reason it's not being done? Is there any chance it might happen in the future?

This is discussed occasionally but there are no plans to change it in 3.0.0. We're worried about the slippery slope of players wanting the rewards from a system without engaging in that system (although we do understand that Ascendancy classes have been so successful that they are no longer considered rewards but instead intrinsic parts of your character). I am sure we will continue to discuss this and related topics.
I apprechiate that GGG is showing awareness of the issue and is taking a sensible stance, observing feedback and weighing options.

One comment on the system though: It's understandable that to GGG and people that like the Lab it makes sense to view the Lab and Ascendancy points as one system - after all they were designed together, released together and now it's that rad change of pace where you get those sweet points (what are you even talking bout Xeledon!?!).
To a Lab hater (to me at least) they seem way more separate because they invoke such distinct feelings. To me the Lab is everything bad about this "system", APs are everything good about it. When I finish the Lab I don't feel good about having beaten it, I feel good about getting the points and not having to go back to the bad part. This may seem like a small distinction from feeling good about beating it - it does however highlight the different viewpoints.

To me challenges are interchangeable, rewards are too. I don't see why the Lab couldn't be part of normal progression, sealing the entrance to act 4 for example. Sure that would make me quit - but it could have been done this way. Similarly I don't see why the rewards for Lab as a side area couldn't be something else (say, 4 skill points and all the other stuff currently there, minus APs?).

3.0.0 highlights the merits of this view of interchangeability. Rewards that are currently in systems of acquisition will disconnect from those systems. Bandit rewards for example. Completing the quest once won't give the rewards of all three instances in 2.6.0. If the Cruel and Merciless rewards are kept they need to go someplace else, form a new system.

I get that you are not changing the Ascendancy system for 3.0.0. I would just like to encourage you not to be too rigid in your views of that system. Everything in this game can be molded into something different if the benefits merit the change.
Online delenda est:
When the lifecycle of PoE will draw to an end many years from now,
there needs to be a final patch making it available offline.
Last edited by Xeledon2132 on Mar 24, 2017, 5:46:03 AM
"
Zamary wrote:
"
LoloTwingo wrote:
Just thinking about something i would like to have for every league i played : have a button to force a league character to go standard (or HC league to standard HC) before the end of the league.
Starting a new character in a league with an empty stash is a challenge and finally fun. But when you reach 70+, you still have "nothing" really good in your stash, and would like to go standard to access your treasury. One could say "trade", but when you play SSF, it will never be an option.

For example i started a tornado shot ranger, having in mind the use of my standard death's opus and cospri's will. Now i'm reaching 70, and i must wait the end of the league, this is not fun anymore. I wish to go standard, finish building the character to 80-90, then eventually start a new one back to the league.

What even. Theres a reason you cant go to standard, there are league specific items that standard will not get until the league is over.

And why the hell did you make a league character if you wanted to use your standard items. You make my brain hurt.

Indded, but if only nude/empty inventory character can be transfered to standard, there is not any problem anymore.
Why ? I thought it was clear. To resume : playing a low and mid level character without stuff/currency is fun and challenging, playing a high level one in these conditions is not fun (after 3+ years playing). That's my opinion, which only engages me.
But the main response to "why ?" is "because i wish to", if -you- don't want this feature, who cares ? i'm certainly not alone with this wish, now it's up to GGG to decide if it's worth implementing or not, and i'll respect their choice.
SSF for ever :)
tl;dr

Spoiler
- Labyrinth crashes warrant the need for an extra portal or two to reenter.
- Improve trading capabilities.

We appreciate the balance you are trying to strike between risk and reward regarding the lab, but the risk of crashing on a once only instance is not something the player can mitigate in any way.

This is especially frustrating on Uber lab when a player has gone to the effort to hunt Argus and/or the extra treasure key/darkshrines etc. from side areas.

An extra portal or two would help.

We also appreciate the "crisis" regarding trade. Effortless, automated trading and the flow-on effects of that are obviously not what the majority of the PoE community want. But the current trade system is frustrating and requires convoluted solutions using 3rd party tools. For example, when i'm in a full group and mapping, I use a macro tool that allows me to quickly add a buyer as a friend to give them access to my hideout to make a trade. I then race to my hideout after the map (hoping the buyer speaks english and understood my message and is patiently waiting) to make the trade.

This is the only way to trade without leaving the group... which kinda sucks because many times this technique has failed me.

There seems to be limitations to cross instance trading so I can't begin to suggest solutions to this... But there MUST be another way. Maybe a 'trading post' addition to hideouts where trades can happen?
--------------- THE MOOCH --------------
For the love of God, please dont add durability to items. It is one of the things i hate in every other rpg or arpg's. It is such an anoying feature.
dont fucking bring durability in the game! D: dont even think about it.
"
Sollkomol wrote:
Disappointed about the answers of my biggest concerns: Lab and Trading.

My suggestion for lab rewards and ascendancy points: Let the player ascend after defeating Act endgame bosses, e.g. after act 3,7,10. For the remaining two points the character still needs to beat uber izaro. This would make the lab more of a endgame content only, but i think most of the players will be fine with this. The requirement to complete the lab to ascend does not feel very good integrated into the leveling process. Because of its difficulty, a lot of people are skipping the lab first and complete it later when they are overleveled.

When it comes to the lab enchantments, i would be happy to see them as a reward for completing trials. This would make the trials more rewarding and the possibility to grab an useful enchant will increase.

These are really good ideas! I mean im ok with the Lab as it is right now, but i think your ideas are just better. Good Job ;)
"
because everyone thinks that they're a game designer

And this explains the state of decay in the industry
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
Since .93 and still going. Thanks for the great game Chris! Looking forward to Beta!
Since .92
"
What are some ARPG mechanics from other games that you don't think you'd ever like to see in Path of Exile?...

...Some things like mercenaries and durability might make a showing if we can work out a good way in the future.

PLEASE GOD NO

"
Being able to trade items is critical to the success of an Action RPG.

I Disagree

When I first started playing the game, I wanted to play 100% singleplayer but I felt forced to trade as its too powerful a feature to ignore, hence I wanted a game mode where the game was balanced around singleplayer, you've made clear you don't want to implement that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info