Developer Q&A - Answers Part 1

The most I have read in a long time and 100% worth it. You clearly took a very long time reading and answering. Great job.
"
"
Do you guys intend to improve mystery boxes in a way that we don't end up having multiple copies of the same item? Multiple portal effects of the sae portal for example is pretty obsolete.

If we made this change, they would have to be massively more expensive than they currently are. Is this a tradeoff you would prefer?

I would prefer to spend a little more and have a good chance at getting something of personal value.

"massively" =/= "little more"...
good stuff
"I mean to beat you to death, and drink your blood from a boot."
"

In general I agree with this, however it is perhaps worth at least considering the possibility that there are parts of the server code that GGG would have to integrate into the client in order to make this viable.

They wouldn't have to integrate anything into the client, that's the point of a standalone server executable. You can simply redirect outgoing connections, back to the local server. This is the exact same methodology that was used to bypass Blizzards anti cheat in legacy clients on their live servers. However, that's another subject unrelated to this topic.

"

They may have strong reasons for not wanting to do this while the live servers are still running. For example, if the server code was integrated into the client then it might be the case that some clever and enterprising fellow might figure out how to use it to compromise the integrity of the live servers, or to exploit a feature of the behaviour of the server code in such a way as to break the game completely. This is something that GGG might reasonably want to defend against while they are still running the live servers.

The risk here is minimal, if GGG released as an example a 2.5 server, it wouldn't affect the 2.6 servers. So much code changes in between releases, an enterprising fellows exploit would be broken every time and only work on offline servers. Of course a general purpose exploit could be developed, but honestly there's nothing preventing that from occurring currently. The main risk would be disclosing the anti cheat mechanisms, which could clearly be avoided by not including that in the standalone server executable. If someone wants to cheat offline, it has no impact on the live servers, so there would be no purpose of including the anti cheat anyway.

Furthermore, I have some in depth knowledge of how these processes are exploited, not to imply that I use them. So if you're reading this, I'm not just pulling this information out of my ass. Giving the players a place to play offline, and possibly cheat is a lot better than the alternative. Which involves cheats being used on the live servers. Another thing to consider is the benefits that come by providing an offline server, say for example someone does make a public cheat for these servers, in that case GGG can in their next expansion, patch any exploit that they think could affect the live servers. Inherently, this risk, like open source software quickly becomes beneficial to the community. Helping to tighten down the screws per se.

Note: For context purposes, my first post in this thread, related to this subject, can be found here.
Last edited by SoulProcurer on Mar 20, 2017, 7:10:06 PM
"
How many GGG employees does it take to change a lightbulb? (Russian question)

Honestly, we'd probably just call someone to do it for us so that we can work on the game instead!

I would like to offer my services. I have many years of experience as an Illumination Technician.
IGN:PowerWeasel
"
Honestly, because once we have finished our optimisation work, it won't really make much of a difference to have particles reduced.

Because everything will burn down anyway?
Please let someone be grilled about the leaguestone bug in the next one, it's so similar to the force proccing monstrous treasure exploit, everyone knew about that months ago and can even still do it? Last leagues economy was also badly damaged by a bug, ruining the reset :( 2 months to go i guess
Last edited by DrDraids on Mar 20, 2017, 11:29:19 PM
Do you guys intend to improve mystery boxes in a way that we don't end up having multiple copies of the same item? Multiple portal effects of the same portal for example is pretty obsolete.

If we made this change, they would have to be massively more expensive than they currently are. Is this a tradeoff you would prefer?

If the box has no more consumable, I would prefer this.
Quote "Can something with no price, be of any value?"
Thanks for the answers, but the excuse for not having inventory sort itself is just lame.
The only feeling I have is not one of mthings being real but just a pain is the ass.
Also, please make things like the currency, essences and divination cards automatically use their tabs when you Ctrl+Click then from you inventory. The number of times you accidentally put them in the wrong tabs is just painful.
Inventory management should not play such a big role. Wasting time putting stuff away is just a mechanic to slow the rate at which you can earn gear.
"
SonicBog wrote:
Thanks for the answers, but the excuse for not having inventory sort itself is just lame.

Almighty Brevik said so! How dare you to doubt it! Sacrilege! Heretic! Burn!
"War's over, soldier. You just don't know it yet. Everybody lost."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info