Developer Q&A - Answers Part 1

I would really buy many more boxes if you couldn't get duplicates, it feels bad and is more time consuming.
Great answers so far, Chris, but you know the one I want answered. ;)
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
Commoble wrote:
One solution: If the box rolls a non-stacking equipment or character effect that the player already received from the box, give the player a low-value stackable MTX like fireworks or hideout decorations or skin transfers instead.

Not a bad solution; I'll see it and propose another: have some way to track what a player has already received in terms of those items from X strain of box; this way, when one is opened, it can check against that list and treat any matches as 'roll again'.
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
What is the color of magic items in-game supposed to be?

People call them either blue or purple items, and this confuses me a lot when they're talking about magic items.
Why not just make all MTXs infinitely stackable? They don't charge for MTX stash tabs, there's no gameplay reason for MTXs not to be infinitely stackable, and making them infinitely stackable would reduce the number of MTX tabs needed, which would therefore also be a data saving.

Edit: Perhaps the one issue is mystery boxes. Maybe you want to have mystery boxes as stackable at all, since you want to 'open' each one and have it feel like you've opened 'something' which takes up some space until you've at least seen it. Maybe the MTX from mystery boxes start out in the same location that the mystery box sat, and the player can manually stack them when they want to.
Last edited by HoneyBadGerMan on Mar 20, 2017, 12:46:38 AM
"

I know this may be far in the future, but do you guys plan on eventually making an offline version of the game once you guys move on to the next game and aren't able to devote resources to maintaining servers and such so that the game can be preserved forever and played years from now like Diablo 2. (I know many of us still play D2...including Chris.)

We don't plan to do this, and the reason is because the game will never be in a state where the servers have to be shut down for financial reasons. Running the servers is inexpensive - it's running the studio to create new content that consumes most of the resources. Making an offline version is masses of work, unfortunately.

This answer is quite a let down. In terms of Path of Exile reaching it's end of life, there should be something in place to permit players to play offline. I mean think about it this way, if GGG doesn't provide it, someone else will.

If you think it's impossible look at all the emulators designed to run Blizzard games. Sooner or later, someone will reverse engineer the game and, emulate it. So as a company, GGG can either provide it, or unintentionally promote such behavior. The latter of which, will result in more third party products that alter the game on live servers. Since, if the game was to be reverse engineered, it would be quite simple for someone to develop said products.

Another thing to consider, while Path of Exile has attracted numerous fans that were hardcore fans of Blizzard titles, they've also attracted the developers of the third party programs designed for Blizzard games. Some of these developers are already at work, designing things for Path of Exile. In my opinion, I think it would be best if GGG released standalone server executables for old expansions. This would somewhat satisfy players interested in playing offline, as well as incite offline players to check out the latest live expansion. How hard can it be to bundle the server files into an executable and release it?

An offline client/server would provide numerous benefits for the community. For instance, people who despise the new expansions could continue to grind away offline or, play the standard league until such time that the new league mechanics are imported into standard. I guess you could call this the desalination process (@ProjectPT). Meanwhile, people playing the new expansion would be afforded less crowded servers, less toxic community members, less wait times regarding customer support, etc. The list of benefits is almost endless.

If you've read this far, I want to emphasize that I'm not one of the people who want the option to play offline. I thoroughly enjoy playing online. However, I think this option should be provided, the same as SSF was provided.
"
Chris wrote:
An quite honestly I think Chris should further consider this.
Last edited by SoulProcurer on Mar 20, 2017, 12:49:53 AM
"
Will there ever be an auto-sort button for inventory and/or stash similar to Titan Quest mechanics?

Unlikely. I had a good conversation recently with David Brevik about how large items that require manipulation in the inventory help simulate the "weight" that items have in other RPG systems. It may be inconvenient to have to organise items, but it makes them feel real. Simplifying this down to auto-sorting or single-slot-items is a road we don't want to take our game down.

What a dumb and totally stupid justification to not include this feature...

Pretty sure that clicking and dragging a Scroll of Identification and a Kaom's Heart from my inventory feels like they have same weight, so this "weight simulation" would only feel realistic if the game had some type of feature to reduce my mouse pointer speed based on how heavy is the item I'm dragging around... Again, pretty silly reasoning to not include a feature present on most modern ARPGs...
Last edited by eralduspr on Mar 20, 2017, 1:30:44 AM
"
SoulProcurer wrote:
"

I know this may be far in the future, but do you guys plan on eventually making an offline version of the game once you guys move on to the next game and aren't able to devote resources to maintaining servers and such so that the game can be preserved forever and played years from now like Diablo 2. (I know many of us still play D2...including Chris.)

We don't plan to do this, and the reason is because the game will never be in a state where the servers have to be shut down for financial reasons. Running the servers is inexpensive - it's running the studio to create new content that consumes most of the resources. Making an offline version is masses of work, unfortunately.

This answer is quite a let down. In terms of Path of Exile reaching it's end of life, there should be something in place to permit players to play offline. I mean think about it this way, if GGG doesn't provide it, someone else will.

If you think it's impossible look at all the emulators designed to run Blizzard games. Sooner or later, someone will reverse engineer the game and, emulate it. So as a company, GGG can either provide it, or unintentionally promote such behavior. The latter of which, will result in more third party products that alter the game on live servers. Since, if the game was to be reverse engineered, it would be quite simple for someone to develop said products.

Another thing to consider, while Path of Exile has attracted numerous fans that were hardcore fans of Blizzard titles, they've also attracted the developers of the third party programs designed for Blizzard games. Some of these developers are already at work, designing things for Path of Exile. In my opinion, I think it would be best if GGG released standalone server executables for old expansions. This would somewhat satisfy players interested in playing offline, as well as incite offline players to check out the latest live expansion. How hard can it be to bundle the server files into an executable and release it?

An offline client/server would provide numerous benefits for the community. For instance, people who despise the new expansions could continue to grind away offline or, play the standard league until such time that the new league mechanics are imported into standard. I guess you could call this the desalination process (@ProjectPT). Meanwhile, people playing the new expansion would be afforded less crowded servers, less toxic community members, less wait times regarding customer support, etc. The list of benefits is almost endless.

If you've read this far, I want to emphasize that I'm not one of the people who want the option to play offline. I thoroughly enjoy playing online. However, I think this option should be provided, the same as SSF was provided. An quite honestly I think Chris should further consider this.

In general I agree with this, however it is perhaps worth at least considering the possibility that there are parts of the server code that GGG would have to integrate into the client in order to make this viable. They may have strong reasons for not wanting to do this while the live servers are still running. For example, if the server code was integrated into the client then it might be the case that some clever and enterprising fellow might figure out how to use it to compromise the integrity of the live servers, or to exploit a feature of the behaviour of the server code in such a way as to break the game completely. This is something that GGG might reasonably want to defend against while they are still running the live servers.

The thought that I have is basically that even though they say that the servers will always be up, that claim is, perhaps, a little strong. Perhaps it wouldn't be overly strong if the running costs of the server became something that the community could manage through something like Cobudget. However, I still think that there are probably people who would like to play the game offline, perhaps people who live in places were a good internet connection isn't really available, for example. It would be great if that option was available for those people, and I know a few of them who would be willing to pay handsomely for an offline version of the game if it was available. In fact, I would probably pay for an offline version of it myself if it was available.
Last edited by HoneyBadGerMan on Mar 20, 2017, 12:57:43 AM
"
eralduspr wrote:
What a dumb and totally stupid justification to not include this feature...

Clearly, you've read that book. What's it called again... Gah, can't remember... Oh yeah, that's right "How to win friends and influence people."
Last edited by HoneyBadGerMan on Mar 20, 2017, 12:59:47 AM
OK,this is the part 1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info