Developer Questions and Answers

What is the most hilarious bug you ever encountered during the development of path of exile?
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Will there ever be a day Ice Shot will be competitive with Blast Rain (and every other skill in the game with the same dilemma) or you devs want some gems to not shine end game?
Will we get act 5 hideout in some way in the future?
I'm software developer, no longer in the game industry I left several years ago. I'm curious about your technology, your custom game engine reached a pretty impressive state. As the game gets in complexity, adding new mechanics can get harder and harder.

1) Was the game engine planed to support the actual complexity of POE? Or it grew with the requirements?

2) I was wondering, do you still have to modify extensively the game engine to support the new expansions? If I reformulate, is the actual system flexible enough to support most of the game rules by mostly scripting/configure with minimal modifications to C++ (or whatever codebase you use) ?

3) Maybe the tech lead could answer that, how do you deal with the complexity of a game like POE?
Last edited by ModernBison on Mar 13, 2017, 8:40:25 PM
Are the jewels that we socket into our skill tree lore related to anything?

Seems like we have some gemling action going on, except the exiles are using jewels and not gems.
Are you content with the current balance of chain, fork and pierce? Do you have any plans to change the associated support gems?

I can go off on a rant for pages about how I've literally not seen a single build (and I love theorycrafting, so I've seen MANY) since I started playing the game in talisman use Fork. Or, how I've only ever seen chain used for frost blades via unique claws to avoid the multiplier and lightning arrow where it's still worse than pierce for off screening with good gear.

But, I know you guys have seen that feedback a million times over. I'm hoping 3.0 has some love for chain/fork, I just don't get why the devs have been silent on the topic for so long, despite a clear community interest in the issue.
Sorry if this has occurred in the 58 Pages before, but since there's no "Search in this Thread" option available in the search bar on this forum and I honestly cba to program the userscript myself I'll just append my question regardless. I hope this somehow get's covered still. So, here it goes:

For a long time the community has been asking for a Microtransaction Stash overhaul to allow players to more conveniently organize their M stashes. The ongoing reply to that wish is that the current implementation doesn't allow for this change request to be applied. While I trust your professional judgement and knowhow, I still get the itches to understand just WHY this current implementation doesn't allow for that to happen. Any chance on getting some kind of techy insight that doesn't give away sensitive information which could be used to fidget with the system but only would create more of an "ah, okay, seems plausible" effect on your tech savvy customers' side?

TL;DR: Why exactly is M such a mess?

Thank you :)
That is not an avatar, that's how I really looked when I wrote this post!
when you first introduced Guilds to PoE, how did you originally envision them to work within PoE's social environment? Are you fairly happy with their current state?

Over the past year I started building up my own Guild, and it's been a very rewarding experience so far.

Are there any major changes you guys have planned for Guilds in the future? What things would you like to see changed, if so?
Also, I would like to know why lightning tendril and cyclone aren`t considered as channeling skill since you actually are channeling them...?
Will you ever lower prices for third world countries? You know like they do in some games on steam?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info