What is wrong with the lab?

Izaro is fine, even if he could be scaled down a little if you squint, to be actually doable at the level he's supposed to be done, even for players who haven't been here since beta. Apart from that, he's actually an interesting boss fight.

What's absolutely intolerable about the lab are

a) the traps - I don't come to Wraeclast to do a friggin' Super Mario clone, especially as I'll never have the same kind of control over my character. That they still kill you when you're 30 levels above them only adds insult to injury.

b) the enforced pseudo-hardcore with no portals. It's ridiculous, and no, I don't need a game developer to decide for me which mode I want to play.

These two points earn GGG the eternal Razzie Award of the lousiest game design evah, renewed with every new league that they don't get rid of it.
Made me stop playing HC. It was far too hard to learn how to fight something that took about a week for me to get to that could kill you with attacks you've never even seen before. Nothing could prepare you for the fight, and you have no way to learn it short of watching other people play it. That's what killed the lab for me.

So I switched to SC, and as expected, the game lasted about 4 months before I got bored and quit.

Back to my regular HC play in this league, but still tainted by my time in SC. The lab really caused me to lose a lot of my enthusiasm for the game. I typically do the normal and cruel, once I'm so overleveled that the risk is worth the reward, but only add the Merci-lab once I am absolutely ready to quit a character. Uber-lab might as well not be there.
"
majesw wrote:
This whole thread ignores the biggest problem with lab... Trails! Why on earth would I want to spend 10-20 minutes back tracking to run through some traps just to unlock traps... Then for uber lab why do I have to run 200+ maps to find the 6 trials I need?

Such poor design. The lab itself is fine. Pretty fun if you ask me!

You need to do them once per difficulty per league. That's not a lot to ask. You can ease this frustration by grabbing them as you go through the areas you find them in. Sure it's not optimal strategy, but it makes it far less tedious.

"
SudianX wrote:
This is my issue with the lab. Did the developers not notice that I purposely did NOT click on "hardcore" when I made my character?

GGG, you might as well be honest and just remove other options if you cannot stick with it.

...so just because you can't respawn your way through it, it's hardcore content? Come on now, I'm a casual myself and I don't agree with that. The Lab is one of two times I feel like death has a real penalty in Path of Exile (the other is leveling past 85 or so). I mean, you don't even lose much time when you die since the worst that can happen is you respawn at the beginning of the zone.
Uninstalling because of the lab is just plain stupid, worst case scenario it takes 4 hours for a character to do all the trials and labs to get the 8 ascendency points, if you play said character 100-200h, wich is rather a reasonnable amount of time, it's 1/25-1/50 of your play time.

Uninstalling a game because you don't like 1/25-1/50 of it is just plain bad faith.
Last edited by EnafAequi on Mar 8, 2017, 8:44:25 AM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Made me stop playing HC. It was far too hard to learn how to fight something that took about a week for me to get to that could kill you with attacks you've never even seen before. Nothing could prepare you for the fight, and you have no way to learn it short of watching other people play it. That's what killed the lab for me.

So I switched to SC, and as expected, the game lasted about 4 months before I got bored and quit.

Back to my regular HC play in this league, but still tainted by my time in SC. The lab really caused me to lose a lot of my enthusiasm for the game. I typically do the normal and cruel, once I'm so overleveled that the risk is worth the reward, but only add the Merci-lab once I am absolutely ready to quit a character. Uber-lab might as well not be there.

this is kinda how I feel, I mostly only do the norm and cruel lab.

its really sad, if i do the higher labs i pay someone to do it for me
I dont see any any key!
"
Trylobyte wrote:
"
majesw wrote:
This whole thread ignores the biggest problem with lab... Trails! Why on earth would I want to spend 10-20 minutes back tracking to run through some traps just to unlock traps... Then for uber lab why do I have to run 200+ maps to find the 6 trials I need?

You need to do them once per difficulty per league. That's not a lot to ask. You can ease this frustration by grabbing them as you go through the areas you find them in. Sure it's not optimal strategy, but it makes it far less tedious.

Yeah, it's the worst part of the whole league. I have to run 6 trials 3 times each that don't have any direct benefit and take me out of game immersion. That's not even mentioning how awful it is to have to complete the uber trials.
"
majesw wrote:
"
Trylobyte wrote:
"
majesw wrote:

Yeah, it's the worst part of the whole league. I have to run 6 trials 3 times each that don't have any direct benefit and take me out of game immersion. That's not even mentioning how awful it is to have to complete the uber trials.

yeah they feel so artificial and disconnected to the rest of the game,

its a tedious chore that might get you killed no matter how strong you are (fuck you traps)
I dont see any any key!
I hate labs too. I'm about to finish up Cruel difficulty in a couple days so I've only run normal labs. I only run them when I get a new pair of gloves for the enchant. I tell yea, when I get to Izaro (that's his name, right?) that my heart POUNDS and I can feel my pulse in my hands.
And the white guys says, I'll have a Coke then.
@Pulga013

For lab you need movement skills and quicksilver flasks, to evade the regulars traps and have an easier fight in the last Izaro encounter.

Avoid his well telegraphed heavy hitting attacks (the green *shit barrage, the slam,etc).

But the most important part is, you need a well defined amount of HP. I woould say 1.7k at least in normal, with some point of damage mitigation (either armour or granite flask).
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
"
gandhar0 wrote:
(...)Avoid his well telegraphed heavy hitting attacks (the green *shit barrage, the slam,etc).(...)

Correction - green fireballs barrage is not telegraphed.Either you can take it on chest and survive (or at least half of it if you have 20%+ move speed and never stop in place),or die miserably.To make things even worse she can shoot you 2 screens away.Also it's not Izaro's attack,but Goddess's on his back - which means ex Decoy Totem won't save you from the barrage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info