How is ssf going for u guys/girls? ^^

Figured I'd give SSF a shot. Played a FB totem char to 70 to start. Was a complete waste of time, how people play those builds I've no idea. zzzz

Rerolled a Frost Blades char because I wanted to play a go fast clear char to get as far away from FB totem sleepiness as I could.

In my first few maps I've ended up with all this shit. I'm barely level 70.



I historically play bow builds; my main character in LSC is a Doomfletch PF. I can't help but feel that it's a sign.


I have a quick question though. Is there any tested way to target threshold jewels? I'm happy to play Frost Blades without them, but when it comes to Breachlords/Atziri etc, I'd like to have them.

I guess the alternative is to respec my FB Totem Elementalist into cwc Firestorm or something similar for bosses?
Last edited by Morelikeew on Jul 13, 2017 9:40:59 AM
They really need to add a div card for unique jewels and make it common enough for a SSF player to farm. That or just sell us the threshold jewels at a vendor.
"
Completed 13 ChallengesMorelikeew wrote:
Figured I'd give SSF a shot. Played a FB totem char to 70 to start. Was a complete waste of time, how people play those builds I've no idea. zzzz



I just love that POP sound that does freakishly high damage.

It's horrid without a ton of cast-speed though.
"
Moosebert wrote:
"
Completed 13 ChallengesMorelikeew wrote:
Figured I'd give SSF a shot. Played a FB totem char to 70 to start. Was a complete waste of time, how people play those builds I've no idea. zzzz



I just love that POP sound that does freakishly high damage.

It's horrid without a ton of cast-speed though.


Maybe I've not picked up enough cast speed then, who knows.

Tried to get an upgrade for my claw for Frost Blades.

ilvl73 lmao. Hit Tyrannical and Regaled t7 hybrid. Rip. Still a ~350pdps claw when multi-modded. Time to grind Elreon + Vagan forever.
Finally hit a North rod and was able to run Vinktars. Hit the best possible!



A couple of divines got it to a near max roll.
Last edited by seanxjohnson on Jul 14, 2017 4:58:46 AM
There's just no way I can deal with playing SSF in a game that leaves you practically zero ability to target your gear.

The game was just designed with being dependent on trading, and having to sink lots of time into each and every character. There's just no foundation in place to where you can just pick a playstyle and go with it, and realistically gather the gear you need ( even if much of it is crafted ). Div cards only go so far ..and like mentioned with jewels ....there's a lot of key build items that are entirely random.

So you either have to be content with a build that requires nothing to do late game content..

...never do late game content....

..or can deal with needing to switch between characters constantly as you gain items to make builds work.


I love being able to gather things myself, which was a huge thing with crafting games and the "classic" arpgs like Diablo 2. PoE is just not built like that, and GGG knows it ( having mentioned that there is a real lack of support for solo play ).

Whenever I start dreaming about starting up a SSF character ..I immediately think about all of the .001% chance items that I'm going to need ..and immediately remember why I unfortunately depend on trading to enjoy this game.

For those that can get enjoyment out of SSF, that's great. But How is SSF going for me? Dreadful.
"
Completed 12 ChallengesJoeShmo wrote:
There's just no way I can deal with playing SSF in a game that leaves you practically zero ability to target your gear.

The game was just designed with being dependent on trading, and having to sink lots of time into each and every character. There's just no foundation in place to where you can just pick a playstyle and go with it, and realistically gather the gear you need ( even if much of it is crafted ). Div cards only go so far ..and like mentioned with jewels ....there's a lot of key build items that are entirely random.

So you either have to be content with a build that requires nothing to do late game content..

...never do late game content....

..or can deal with needing to switch between characters constantly as you gain items to make builds work.


I love being able to gather things myself, which was a huge thing with crafting games and the "classic" arpgs like Diablo 2. PoE is just not built like that, and GGG knows it ( having mentioned that there is a real lack of support for solo play ).

Whenever I start dreaming about starting up a SSF character ..I immediately think about all of the .001% chance items that I'm going to need ..and immediately remember why I unfortunately depend on trading to enjoy this game.

For those that can get enjoyment out of SSF, that's great. But How is SSF going for me? Dreadful.


You might want to read through the last 10 or so pages of this thread. You'll see that people have assembled some insane gear, done all content, completed most of not all of their atlas, killed shaper, uber atziri and chayula. Have multiple end game builds to 90+, and have at least 1, if not multiple, 6Ls.

Does SSF take longer? Yes, but isn't that sort of the point?
"


You might want to read through the last 10 or so pages of this thread. You'll see that people have assembled some insane gear, done all content, completed most of not all of their atlas, killed shaper, uber atziri and chayula. Have multiple end game builds to 90+, and have at least 1, if not multiple, 6Ls.

Does SSF take longer? Yes, but isn't that sort of the point?


You might want to read what I had said. Did I say it was impossible? No. Did I say nobody could enjoy it? No. I said if people can do it, then good on them. I can't, for the reasons I stated.

In retort to your comment about the last 10 pages, I have read them; they entail several posts about how "I got super lucky" or "There's no way I want to start over with SSF in a new league" , etc. etc. Clearly people have been expressing their understanding that SSF is a battle of wills / endurance. Finding enjoyment in spite of its huge downfalls, and not because of it.

I don't have the blind enjoyment of the game to devote hundreds of hours into "making it work" just because its the only way to make it work. It's Illogical, like trying to carve a marble statue with a pencil. Can it be done? Sure. But it doesn't mean it's "Fine".

And no, the point isn't for it to take longer, the point is to do something by yourself. They're not mutually inclusive terms. You can have things take the same time but require different methods; but that's not the case here, as you point out as well.

The OP asked a question, I gave my opinionated answer for it. Not seeing the point of you trying to insinuate that I'm doing it wrong or seeing something that isn't there.
Last edited by JoeShmo on Jul 14, 2017 7:02:34 AM
congrats on vinktar! where did you get the north? cadiro, random drop, master, div card?

also I stumbled upon this profile the other day, and holy shit someone actually got HeadHunter, and in HC too.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Neighthan/characters
Level 100 Juggernaut SSF Legacy: view-thread/1926356
Last edited by golan4840 on Jul 14, 2017 7:03:24 AM
"
Completed 12 ChallengesJoeShmo wrote:


..or can deal with needing to switch between characters constantly as you gain items to make builds work.



For me, this is the most fun aspect of SSF. finding those items feels fucking amazing.
for example, I was in he process of making a gladiator character, and at level 88 I found a kaoms heart. I shat my pants, and immediately abandoned my gladiator to make a RF character (my favourite skill).
and of course, it is far from perfect. for the longest time I had no witchfire brew which is a huge damage boost. still could not find the kaoms way prophecy (upgrading kaoms sign to give 0.4% life regen per endurance charge). and I still couldn't find a vinktar.
But the thing is, kaoms heart was really the only mandatory item to make the build good, and I'm currently sitting at level 99 as a juggernaut.
Level 100 Juggernaut SSF Legacy: view-thread/1926356

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info