[Guide] Path of Exile, Steam, and account linking

Note to console users:

You can now choose to log into the forum on a Microsoft or Sony account on the log in screen. The option is displayed on the right, just beneath the option to log in on a Steam account.

What is account linking?

Account linking allows you to log into a Path of Exile account through Steam.

What is the point of account linking?

It means having fewer account credentials to remember. The Steam client can automatically download and install updates for you. You can buy things from GGG through Steam, so there are more payment options available - including any money you have in your Steam Wallet.

What if I have only ever played on my Steam account?

Before playing Path of Exile on Steam for the first time, you must either link your Steam account to an existing account, or create a new Path of Exile account which is automatically linked to your Steam account. If you have played Path of Exile, you have a Path of Exile account.

How do I start using the Steam client for the first time?

Go to this page. If you haven't played Path of Exile through Steam before, that'll allow you to link your accounts. If it claims your accounts are already linked, that's because they are.

You will then need to download the Steam version of Path of Exile. Your loot filters and settings are stored in /Documents/My Games/Path of Exile/ and should be used by either client.

How do I start using the standalone client for the first time?

Log into the Path of Exile website through Steam on this page. Then go to this page and click on Manage Account. You should find an option to associate an e-mail address with your Path of Exile account. Then you will be able to log into your account using the standalone client.

You can copy the Content.ggpk file archive to the directory for the standalone client to avoid downloading and installing it over again. The client will need to briefly verify its contents.

Can anyone link their Path of Exile and Steam accounts?

In some regions the Steam version of Path of Exile may not be available.

You can check by opening Steam and searching for the game.

Should Linux users link their Path of Exile and Steam accounts?

Historically on Linux I’ve used the standalone client. You should be able to use either - but I view the non-Steam client as having fewer things which can go wrong, so I prefer it when using WINE.

Given Proton, using the Steam version of Path of Exile may well be worth trying.

Is it possible to change which account is linked to which other account?

You'll need to contact GGG about this. See the question about e-mailing Support.

Why do I get "Failed to update e-mail address"?

This suggests the e-mail address you chose is already used by a Path of Exile account.

I overwrote my account link with a link to another account! What do I do?

You'll need to contact GGG about this. See the question about e-mailing Support.

I have to contact Support. What should I tell them?

First of all, their e-mail address is support@grindinggear.com.

Here's a few things that's always worth mentioning;

• What you would like help with.
  • Your Path of Exile account name.
  • 2 to 3 of your character names.
  • A 'please' and 'thank you' never hurts. :P

Here's information they'd prefer you do not include;

• The password for your Path of Exile account.
  • Your account name or password on Steam.
  • Payment information, unless they specifically ask for it.

I contacted Support, why haven't they responded?

They're probably just busy. It's worth remembering they're based in New Zealand, so you might be contacting them during the night shift. Just try to be patient - they'll respond soon.

I recommend not sending them more e-mails while waiting for a reply from them. E-mails to and from each player are grouped up into a conversation. When you send them another e-mail, this counts as the conversation being updated; you'll drop down to the end of the queue.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Sep 10, 2021, 12:51:01 AM
Last bumped on Aug 26, 2019, 3:10:09 PM
If you've any feedback on how this guide could be improved, please let me know!

You're welcome to ask any questions you have here if you would like to, but please remember that I am not an employee so I can't do anything to help you directly. That's also a good reason not to give me any personal information. Seriously - please don't do that. If you'd like to ask your questions directly to staff, e-mail support@grindinggear.com instead. :)
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

Thanks for taking the time to write this :-) One suggestion: put the url of the thread in your sig - it really helps spreading awareness.
Thanks a lot, Alysma. :)

That was actually my original plan! I tried but unfortunately us plebs aren't allowed to use the url tag in our signatures; I tried and it just showed all the code, which was kinda ugly.

Edit: Oh, sorry - I'm daft. Never actually thought of that! Gonna do it now. :)

----

Last edited by Sarno on Feb 27, 2017, 5:48:28 PM
Added bullet points to the questions to help them stand out more.

As always, any feedback people have on that (or something else) is more than welcome. :)

----

long overdue, thanks sarno. should be stickied after you removed the self praising ;)

---

never understood why it's possible to link a "forum account" which obviously gets created when you login over steam back to the steam account and overwrite it?

that's also what irritated me in your text, people who deleted their chars are of the opinion that ggg messed it up and has to fix it. don' give them the impression they did something wrong

ggg messed up the steam integration, software shouldn't allow any overwriting of accounts.

in the worst case, the steam integration is a everlasting band aid which likely costs them alot of customers because many people probably can't be bothered to wait for days before ggg reverts the deletion. it should get higher priority to fix it so player's complaints stop.
I have a PoE account and a Steam one. 1 of each and they are not fresh. Haven't linked them yet. Do I need to be aware of something?
Hizsoo,

Account linking is used to combine Steam account credentials, and the ability to pay for in-game stuff using Steam Wallet funds / payments supported by the Steam platform, to an existing Path of Exile account. A Steam account can only be linked to a single Path of Exile account at a time, so if it's already linked to one, that link would be overwritten if you link it to another account.

Sometimes people assume that you can play using Steam without a Path of Exile account, or that account linking can be used to merge multiple accounts together. That isn't the case. If you've played Path of Exile through Steam before, linking the accounts would cause you to lose characters, MTX, achievements, etc. from the account currently linked to Steam.

----

Never played through Steam client,but Steam wallet might be easier to use, just being curious.
If you've never played through Steam then the account link will work perfectly for you.

----

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info