[Guide] Efficient currency farming

"
carkasjak wrote:
"
whrsmycoffee wrote:
Don't dump items into 5c tab for "price checking". Have tabs from like 20->1c and then a "custom price" one. If you're unsure of an items value, price it very high. If it sells, good. If not (it won't), move it down incrementally. I usually move items down every other day. When an item gets moved down from 1c tab, vendor it. For a few very high value items you use "custom price" tab where you have individual buyouts and these few items you mark down manually.

Don't use fellow exiles to "price check" by posting false buyouts when there's a much better way!

This idea seems pretty valid as well, but it requires a lot more busywork than I am willing to do.

I regret calling it "free price checking" in the original version of the guide, as this gives people the wrong idea about the method. I've tried to tell people repeatedly that it's EXTREMELY rare that I'd ever change the price of these items. In the vast majority of cases I'm just selling things that would normally be worth between 5c and 30c for 5c, and saving myself the time and effort of checking it.

It's more work for you but less work for everyone else. I'm sticking to it.
Just creating more work overall isn't necessarily a bad thing.
I haven't actually read the original post because I don't care about efficient currency farming, but here's my take on the "free price check" thing. You must reply to an exile who whispers you based on your buyout price. If you do not do this, you are being a douche.

To see how buyers feel, pretend you're working at a checkout counter. A customer comes to your lane and starts putting his goods on the belt while you tap away at your checkstand monitor. Not replying means you pretty much just keep tapping at the monitor. The buyer just kinda stands there, confused, and will probably say "hello? you there?" and then you keep tapping away. You just wasted his time.

In contrast, if you just say "checkstand's closed, head over that way" then you get your price information and the buyer has wasted all of 2 seconds and goes about his merry way.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
carkasjak wrote:
"
SunL4D2 wrote:
Spoiler
Well you got main point right - play a lot and play efficiently (but don't go full retard either), but some of this advices are terrible.

Chaos recipe. Let's just get this point out of the way - rich people do Chaos recipe. Belton does it and he one of the richest players here. You just need to manage it correctly. Pick up all jewellry (you can identify good bases) and complete rare sets with loot from boss. Don't do extra trips. Don't horde rare armour. Use quad tab if possible and keep it in check. You don't waste a lot of time but get guaranteed 2 chaos. It's great in the begining of the League as well. I realise it's profitable but personally don't do chaos recipe, because I don't like to pay extra attention at stuff.

"
If I'm trying to buy an item and don't get a response within 10 seconds, I try the next person on the list. I've seen others just spam whispering everyone in rapid succession; don't do that, as it often leads to multiple invites and frustration.

Good luck buying something cheap like map or certain unique. Buying those can be frustrating even if you whisper everyone, let alone waiting 10 seconds each person. Vice Versa ALWAYS spam everyone when you want to buy map or some other cheap item where rolls don't matter much.

"
If you want an item to sell quickly, it's OKAY to sell it for a lower price than the market value, so long as you are aware of it, and are making an informed decision. On the other end of the spectrum, it's okay to list an item for more than the current market value if you're not in a hurry to sell it. Prices will change depending on the time of day, how far into the league you are, and on the shifting meta

Because of people who think that undercutting prices is good idea, such activities like Atziri or Uber Lab farm quickly become less and less profitable. I agree you can undercut prices of rares but never when it comes to hot uniques or quality gems.

"
Minimum transaction profit: 5c. I don't even list items that are worth less than this, unless I can sell them in bulk, like certain maps or essences.

I farmed 700 tiers, I got GG Rustic Sach and that's it. All other irems are 1-3c. I should just vendor all of them according to this Guide? Divination Cards, Maps, Fragments, Gems (might be tricky to price them correctly even with Trade Macro though) - all of them are great sources of income. This smaller trades pile up and give you monies in the end as well. What I mean here is it's ok to list something for 2-5c. I would not go below 1c personally, because there is just too much items here (Div. cards and some other items like maps are exceptions to this rule).

Is there something about converting currencie you don't use into chaos and then buying Exalts? This might be good idea.

Lol this takes so much time. Fuck it. xD

P.S. Your Loot Filter is not Gorgeous enough. :3

The thing about the chaos recipe is that it feels like tedious busywork, and would also require making significant changes to my whole playstyle, which would slow me down a lot, and lessen the enjoyment I get out of the game. If you have done your own testing and determined that it's profitable for your playstyle, and if you don't hate doing it, feel free to keep doing it.

I don't know who Belton is, but my goal has never been to be the richest player. Currency is just a means to an end. If I get enough of it to fully deck out a character in really good gear, without having to do things I don't enjoy in the game, I've reached my goal. I don't "play" the market at all, and I have no interest in playing an economy simulator.

I straight up disagree with you on the spam whispering subject. People think I'm rude for the 5c tab thing? I think spam whispering everyone in the list without giving them 10 seconds to respond is FAR more rude than changing the price of an obviously underpriced item, as long as you are honest about it.

I'm not sure what your point is about undercutting. The market changes over time based on supply and demand. Especially in softcore where items don't leave the economy, the market gets flooded with items after a while, causing an inevitable price drop. People undercut because they want to sell items quickly. It's not a bad thing if you're a buyer.

Should you vendor 1-3c items? That's entirely up to you. I vendor a lot of 1-3c uniques at least. Your minimum transaction profit is something you have to decide for yourself. I don't claim that my way is the best for everyone, but it's a way that works well for me. I want to minimize the amount of trading I do since it's not at all enjoyable to me.

"
FreedomOI wrote:
Hi just a additional "trick":

Make a tab for 10c+ rares without a buyout:

1. You find an Item you know is worth something
2. Put it in the tab;)
3. You got spammed with offers(4) or not....
4. Look up the Item(tool) and price it 20% lower
5. Enjoy having 95%+ sell for a decent price

We all will profit from this method:

Especially with jewels and rings/amys people dont know how to price them. I have seen countless 0.5ex Items listed for 1ex+ from day 1 of the season to day 90 that simply wont sell. We all profit from having more items available to us and nobody gets scammed/lowballed

The issue I have with this is the part where I know the item is worth something, since that requires that I've already taken the time to look at the item. If I do this, I might as well just determine the price on my own.

"Time is money". I can deal with being rude if it will save me some time AND nerves, because well trade in Path of Exile is not exactly perfect how do you think?

Of course price will change with time, but if there won't be people who undercut it will drop much slower. It works like that - one retard undercuts price and everyone else does same via chain reaction. And everyone gets less profit in the end. Undercutting people hurt the most in Hardcore though. I am not talking buyers here. :)

Point is we mostly get shit items for 1-3c and you advice to not get advantage of them. What?...how is that gonna work if someone need currency? Not everyone finds good stuff each day.

If you play CoC Discharger that clears Strand in 40 seconds, of course it's not gonna work for you, but what about other people? You wrote up a guide and take responsibility for advices you give you know. :P You should at least mention WHY it works for you, because in time someone will trade his 1-3c item, you will clear 2 maps...

P.S. Nice Unique btw. ^_- How do you feel about it fall from grace over time? I think it was much more expensive earlier - like maybe multiple exalted orbs and now it's almoust vendor-tier later on in the Leagues like with many Uniques this days. :( AOE changes in 2.6 will make it even less appealing...
Last edited by SunL4D2 on Feb 26, 2017, 11:14:07 PM
"
SunL4D2 wrote:

If you play CoC Discharger that clears Strand in 40 seconds, of course it's not gonna work for you, but what about other people? You wrote up a guide and take responsibility for advices you give you know. :P You should at least mention WHY it works for you, because in time someone will trade his 1-3c item, you will clear 2 maps...

I thought that was made pretty clear already, but maybe I'm wrong.

"
SunL4D2 wrote:

P.S. Nice Unique btw. ^_- How do you feel about it fall from grace over time? I think it was much more expensive earlier - like maybe multiple exalted orbs and now it's almoust vendor-tier later on in the Leagues like with many Uniques this days. :( AOE changes in 2.6 will make it even less appealing...

I vendored the one I found late in this league, but I still enjoyed seeing it drop. I've never cared about the price since I was playing strictly SSF back when I designed it.

I also don't really think it has fallen from grace. It fits its niche well, and if you want to stack AoE as a life based character it's still gonna be a solid choice.
Last edited by carkasjak on Feb 27, 2017, 5:12:22 AM
I wonder if i will be able to pick up good leveling items from other players for about 1 alc/chaos whatever in the future if everyone just lists his items for 5 chaos and don't bother with trading for lower values.

This is not the players fault, its GGGs fault for not having implemented good trading features in a game that is heavily designed around trading. This is so stupid...

When i am leveling a new character in a fresh league, i want to upgrade my gear at around reaching cruel most of the time. Because i am not interested in crafting and the self found items are usually totally crap, i need to trade for them. But what amount of currency can someone spent in a fresh league with about level 35?

"
Sollkomol wrote:
I wonder if i will be able to pick up good leveling items from other players for about 1 alc/chaos whatever in the future if everyone just lists his items for 5 chaos and don't bother with trading for lower values.

This is not the players fault, its GGGs fault for not having implemented good trading features in a game that is heavily designed around trading. This is so stupid...

When i am leveling a new character in a fresh league, i want to upgrade my gear at around reaching cruel most of the time. Because i am not interested in crafting and the self found items are usually totally crap, i need to trade for them. But what amount of currency can someone spent in a fresh league with about level 35?

I wouldn't worry about not being able to find cheap gear. This playstyle is not for everyone, and a lot of people actually enjoy selling 1alch and 1chaos items, and will keep doing it forever.

"
adghar wrote:
I haven't actually read the original post because I don't care about efficient currency farming, but here's my take on the "free price check" thing. You must reply to an exile who whispers you based on your buyout price. If you do not do this, you are being a douche.

To see how buyers feel, pretend you're working at a checkout counter. A customer comes to your lane and starts putting his goods on the belt while you tap away at your checkstand monitor. Not replying means you pretty much just keep tapping at the monitor. The buyer just kinda stands there, confused, and will probably say "hello? you there?" and then you keep tapping away. You just wasted his time.

In contrast, if you just say "checkstand's closed, head over that way" then you get your price information and the buyer has wasted all of 2 seconds and goes about his merry way.

It's a bit silly to reply to the thread when you don't even know the full context of what you're replying to. I am not advocating that you don't respond to whispers. In fact, I am doing the opposite. If you read the parts of the guide that are relevant to this discussion you'd know this. I have no idea why you even felt like replying in the first place.

Your shopkeeper analogy also fails to hit the mark. Item listings in PoE are a lot more like putting up an ad on a website saying you have a used toaster for sale, and leaving your contact information. The buyer has to contact you, and might want to negotiate the price and other terms, and you can still back out of the sale or change the price if you discover that it might be worth a lot more, since it's an antique toaster or a collector's item. The buyer can't expect you to take time off work to make the trade whenever it suits his needs.

If you try to raise the price after you've both agreed to meet, when the buyer shows up at your door, then that's definitely a dick move, but that's not at all what's happening here.
Last edited by carkasjak on Feb 27, 2017, 7:26:49 AM
"
Sollkomol wrote:

Don't worry. There will always be people selling low-calue stuff like non-quality gems, levelling uniques, rares with mediocre rolls for a couple alteration orbs, a chisel or an alchemy orb.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
That feeling when your favorite game becomes a job, and you measure your "performance" in "Opportunity Cost" and transactions per second like you are playing competitive StarCraft.

The Autism and Obsessive Compulsion is deep in this community. I am certainly a part of that, I exclusively play the addiction-stroking ARPGs after all, but even I think this is too much.

Will anyone think of the seconds wasted while picking up scrolls!!!? Think of the time you can save if you don't wipe after going to the bathroom!!!!!1!!!!one!!!!
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:
That feeling when your favorite game becomes a job, and you measure your "performance" in "Opportunity Cost" and transactions per second like you are playing competitive StarCraft.

The Autism and Obsessive Compulsion is deep in this community. I am certainly a part of that, I exclusively play the addiction-stroking ARPGs after all, but even I think this is too much.

Will anyone think of the seconds wasted while picking up scrolls!!!? Think of the time you can save if you don't wipe after going to the bathroom!!!!!1!!!!one!!!!

Did you have anything useful to contribute to the discussion, or did you feel an intense urge to show how disgusted you are with the way other people choose to play the game?

Maximizing efficiency and minimizing tedium is a fun game in and of itself for me. The only time PoE feels like work is when I am pulled away from my monster killing by annoying trades.
Last edited by carkasjak on Feb 27, 2017, 12:45:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info