[Guide] Efficient currency farming

The lack of good loot filters for this kind of playstyle annoyed me, so I made this website that generates a loot filter specifically for your build: https://filter.poe.gg/index.html

Let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions.
FilterCloud: https://filter.poe.gg
Filter Debugger: https://bschug.github.io/poedit/poedit.html
"
carkasjak wrote:

My response to controversy regarding the 5c tabs:
Spoiler
"
_Interrupt_ wrote:
"
5c tabs for mass dumping of small items for free price checking

God how i hate people like you.

Instead of taking two seconds to correctly price an item you waste the time of other people for your personal gain - you are on the same tier as the price manipulators.

I instantly ignore everyone who changes the price during a trade.

I've noticed that a lot of people get hung up on this 5c tab method and go into a fit of rage over it, and I can kind of see their point of view too, but it is being blown out of proportion. 99% of the time, I will not reprice an item, and people are usually getting nice brodeals out of my unwillingness to manually price stuff. The remaining 1% is unfortunate, but I won't lose any sleep over it. I have changed the wording in the guide a little bit in an attempt to clarify my position.

Path of Exile is a game, and unless GGG explicitly states that this kind of behavior is against the terms of service, I will keep doing it if it helps me enjoy the game more.

If GGG were to implement a faster trading system where you HAD to sell an item at the listed price, I would still use the 5c tab method, even if it meant that I was selling a a few items for far less than their value.

Are you kidding me? That's what I experience in the new League all the time. At first I thought that's quiet the lazy and maybe unfair behavior, cause they actually waste other peoples time to check an appropiate price range...but it seems common.
So why should I waste even more of my time and check the pricing for my own items...
Thank you carkasjak for your guide. I am using it and I have more fun than ever. Thanks ;-)

I'd only ask you for advise which map to use (because of new map layout), which ones to shape and how the Elder is influencing your strategy.
"
MurphyCz wrote:
Thank you carkasjak for your guide. I am using it and I have more fun than ever. Thanks ;-)

I'd only ask you for advise which map to use (because of new map layout), which ones to shape and how the Elder is influencing your strategy.

I haven't gotten the atlas and elder stuff all figured out yet, but here's what I've got so far:

My atlas is fully completed except for Tiers 8, 9 and 10 where I only have shaped Iceberg (T3->T8), Gorge (T4->T9) and Toxic Sewer (T5->T10). What I've learned so far is that Toxic Sewers feels AMAZING to run. Would definitely recommend it for that tier. Gorge is obviously also still a solid map. I like the aesthetic of Iceberg, but it's not perfect for my build this league (Ele Wander) since it's too open, and kinetic blast works really well in tight corridors. I will probably re-complete my tier 8s at some point and maybe un-complete tier 11 so I can do shaped Atoll. I don't really want to run higher tiers than 11 since I'm pretty squishy with my quantity gear on. Bisco's, Sadima's, 1 ventor, perandus blazon. I wanted to try some MF this league.

You should probably make your own decisions based on your own character's strengths and weaknesses. My current strategy will not work for everyone.

The elder and his guardians have mostly been a pain in my ass. There is a strategy you can do, where you get Elder to occupy one of your shaped maps and never kill his guardians. You can then run your shaped map with elder influence, but his boss fight never triggers because his guardians are still alive. You get extra mobs and elder items in your map that way. The problem is there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to force him to spawn on a specific map. You can push his influence around, but as far as I can tell, where he decides to put himself in the end is random. I've had to kill him and start over multiple times, and I still haven't gotten him where I want him.

EDIT: I managed to get him on Mesa, which is not as good as on a shaped map, but still pretty good. https://i.imgur.com/nn27i2a.png
If I leave his guardians alive, Mesa will have elder influence every time I do it, but the boss will not be replaced by Elder.

There's also a slightly easier strategy you can do when you get maps where shaper and elder influence border each other like this:

If you do the Mesa map over and over in this situation you will get alternating elder and shaper influence on the map. As long as you don't do any other maps it seems to stay this way indefinitely.
Last edited by carkasjak on Dec 22, 2017, 5:43:43 PM
I like the idea of not having to spend so much time worrying about pricing rares, which are pretty overwhelming for me, but where does all the profit come from if you are mostly ignoring rares (can't imagine most of the ones you put up for 5C sell, most aren't worth that much I presume)? Just actually currency drops and valuable uniques/div cards?
"
Doctor_Teh wrote:
I like the idea of not having to spend so much time worrying about pricing rares, which are pretty overwhelming for me, but where does all the profit come from if you are mostly ignoring rares (can't imagine most of the ones you put up for 5C sell, most aren't worth that much I presume)? Just actually currency drops and valuable uniques/div cards?

I think most of my currency comes from actual currency drops, 6socket items, and the occasional valuable unique, but a fairly decent chunk is from my 5c JAR(jewels, amulets, rings) tabs too. With no time spent looking at rares I have more time to actually grind, and that's what makes this strategy so enjoyable. I spend less than an hour every 2 days or so sorting my 4 quad dump tabs after they fill up from non-stop grinding. While most of the JAR stuff won't sell, I have such a huge amount of it that it makes a noticeable difference.

Part of my log is missing somewhere in the middle since I was running the game on a different hard drive for a while and don't have the log from that, but for the portion that isn't missing I was able to find 122 incoming whispers about 5c sales in my JAR tabs during Abyss league. That's 610 chaos worth of sales.

In addition I am also running "AJ" tabs for abyss jewels only this league, which I am pricing at 10c initially and then gradually lowering to 5c over time. I found 75 whispers for those. If we assume an average of 7c that's around 525 chaos worth of abyss jewels sold.

So if we add these together we get 1135 chaos. Shave 10% off to account for the occasional buyer who backed out, messages I missed due to being afk, or duplicate messages for the same item, and we're still looking at 1021.5 chaos. That leaves me with an estimate of 11.3ex at current exchange rates at the time of this post.

Note that I have A LOT of stash tabs. When I run out of spare stash tabs I might even start hiding rings, amulets and jewels in my filter for the remainder of the league rather than bothering with purging my JAR tabs.
"
carkasjak wrote:
"
Doctor_Teh wrote:

I think most of my currency comes from actual currency drops, 6socket items, and the occasional valuable unique, but a fairly decent chunk is from my 5c JAR(jewels, amulets, rings) tabs too. With no time spent looking at rares I have more time to actually grind, and that's what makes this strategy so enjoyable. I spend less than an hour every 2 days or so sorting my 4 quad dump tabs after they fill up from non-stop grinding. While most of the JAR stuff won't sell, I have such a huge amount of it that it makes a noticeable difference.

Part of my log is missing somewhere in the middle since I was running the game on a different hard drive for a while and don't have the log from that, but for the portion that isn't missing I was able to find 122 incoming whispers about 5c sales in my JAR tabs during Abyss league. That's 610 chaos worth of sales.

In addition I am also running "AJ" tabs for abyss jewels only this league, which I am pricing at 10c initially and then gradually lowering to 5c over time. I found 75 whispers for those. If we assume an average of 7c that's around 525 chaos worth of abyss jewels sold.

So if we add these together we get 1135 chaos. Shave 10% off to account for the occasional buyer who backed out, messages I missed due to being afk, or duplicate messages for the same item, and we're still looking at 1021.5 chaos. That leaves me with an estimate of 11.3ex at current exchange rates at the time of this post.

Note that I have A LOT of stash tabs. When I run out of spare stash tabs I might even start hiding rings, amulets and jewels in my filter for the remainder of the league rather than bothering with purging my JAR tabs.

And for the JAR tab, you are just picking up any high item lvl of those types, ID'ing them and throwing them in the tab without looking at them, correct?
"
Doctor_Teh wrote:
And for the JAR tab, you are just picking up any high item lvl of those types, ID'ing them and throwing them in the tab without looking at them, correct?

I don't really care about the ilvl of JARs since they don't really require very high ilvls to be potentially good. I only start using my filter when I'm at endgame anyway. Otherwise correct.
Small update today.

*Adjusted stash tab management section to account for the new map stash tab.
*Corrected some old issues like mentioning Merciless Dried lake and ES bases in current year. (lol)
*Added a quick tip about inventory management for mapping.
Spoiler

Last league, I tried if I couldn't make the chaos recipe worthwhile. I set up one tab per slot, i.e. one for weapons (two-hand only to minimize amount of items I need to pick up), one for body armours, one for gloves, one for boots, one for belts and one for rings and amulets. Then I created one variation of my loot filter for each of these slots (they all showed rings and amulets though).

While mapping, I move one of these tabs to the front and activate its respective loot filter. After each map, I first ctrl-click each of the CR rares into that tab (e.g. if I'm in helmet mode, I put all the helmets in there), then I switch to my dump tab and put the rest (i.e. divcards, currency, rings/amulets) there. Since I only ever have to sort out one type of item, it's really fast and requires no thinking or active decision making.

Once they are all full, I just cycle through them, hold ctrl, click item, click next tab, click item, click next tab, etc, vendor, rinse, repeat. Vendoring this way generates about 10-20 chaos per minute. Since you're only ever picking up one type of item at a time, it's usually not enough to completely fill your inventory while mapping and doesn't slow you down too much.

I'm still not 100% sure if it's worth it, but I think this is the most efficient way to do it, and it may help you get started during low tier maps in a new league.
FilterCloud: https://filter.poe.gg
Filter Debugger: https://bschug.github.io/poedit/poedit.html

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info