Molten Shell

I wish this skill would deal damage based on how much damage was absorbed instead of exploding only if the full amount was reached. This would make the skill more useful on small threat packs which you know wouldn't reach the threshold.
I posted my Molten Shell Elemental Equilibrium build with a video clearing chaos at level 60.

Molten Shell absolutely destroys Chaos with proper gear and build. The skill was much less useful in the early-mid game due and required increased duration support so it would last long enough for the mobs to blow it up. Basically just used it on uniques or blue melee packs. Late game the mob damage increases enough to replace duration support with concentrated and increased AoE. Finish with mana leech and you won't use mana flasks in Chaos.

Of course if you aren't stacking spell, AoE, fire and elemental passives don't expect much.
I love this spell. Link it to a cold gem and it pops nuking everything and chilling everything left standing adding to survivability and I don't have to worry about casting a nova with my melee guys. My only issue has been linked to my evasion rating. Since I avoid the hits many times the shell doesn't pop and the buff expires. This leaves me with less mana and broken dreams.

I would like to see a similar spell or support gem giving an immolation DOT or damage when hit reflected to enemies. Not sure why the don't burn their hands when they hit me but I'd like them to, one way or the other.
Death by lag in HC = the most widely told tale to hide the shame of a miscalculated/overzealous death by game :)
"
Lo4f wrote:
I posted my Molten Shell Elemental Equilibrium build with a video clearing chaos at level 60.

Molten Shell absolutely destroys Chaos with proper gear and build. The skill was much less useful in the early-mid game due and required increased duration support so it would last long enough for the mobs to blow it up. Basically just used it on uniques or blue melee packs. Late game the mob damage increases enough to replace duration support with concentrated and increased AoE. Finish with mana leech and you won't use mana flasks in Chaos.

Of course if you aren't stacking spell, AoE, fire and elemental passives don't expect much.

Mana leach is a smart idea. I'll try that. I love this game, where else do you get rewarded for thinking and creativity like this? No place. great job GGG!
Death by lag in HC = the most widely told tale to hide the shame of a miscalculated/overzealous death by game :)
Just tested the radius of that skill a bit...yet I always used concentrated as support, so I had -30% radius and didn't care too much, since I still damaged the enemies next to me of course. When I swapped that support out and increased radius in, combined with 24% increased radius via 6 Power Charges, I went from -30% to +54% while loosing 50% damage...and it isn't useful at all imho. The base radius is too small to make it worth increasing it.

Imho it could be interesting to tweak radius and damage a bit. Like increasing the radius to something a bit below the novas and decrease the damage by perhaps ~10%, additionally the damage of one "boom" could be lower at the outer parts of course.
"
Btah wrote:
Just tested the radius of that skill a bit...yet I always used concentrated as support, so I had -30% radius and didn't care too much, since I still damaged the enemies next to me of course. When I swapped that support out and increased radius in, combined with 24% increased radius via 6 Power Charges, I went from -30% to +54% while loosing 50% damage...and it isn't useful at all imho. The base radius is too small to make it worth increasing it.

Imho it could be interesting to tweak radius and damage a bit. Like increasing the radius to something a bit below the novas and decrease the damage by perhaps ~10%, additionally the damage of one "boom" could be lower at the outer parts of course.

What you've discovered is that concentrated support is OP, not that the rest is weak.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
How does absorbed damage work?
Is it calculated after damage reduction from armor?
PoE forums ignore list script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/162657

0.4: added "ignore" button. ignore list is now saved locally.
I wish the skill would explode when it timed out or something, it sucks when it doesn't explode.

Either that or massively increase the duration.
The shield is a bit weak early (but I think I equipped it a bit late so... not sure about that).
Later, I used it mostly for the armor boost, and the warning when it explodes that I'm in a dangerous situation.

Overall, pretty useful for melee character, any melee character.
PoE forums ignore list script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/162657

0.4: added "ignore" button. ignore list is now saved locally.
"
kodr wrote:
How does absorbed damage work?
Is it calculated after damage reduction from armor?
It is the damage reduction for armour.

Molten shell counts up how much physical damage was prevented by your physical damage reduction (which comes from armour + endurance charges) and also the physical damage prevented by blocking.

If the total amount of damage prevented reached the threshold, it explodes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info