Molten Shell

So I did not find a separate thread for vaal molten shell so I assume that this is where I should leave the feedback :)

Now Vaal molten shell is not a popular skill but it has done some very iconic builds in the past. But with the introduction of scolds bridle it became to powerful and received a nerf. However the nerf it got also killed the builds that was made with vaal molten shell before scolds bridle was introduced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDzumqzGLSc
This shows an example of the kind of arch type molten shell build I am talking about :)

The build I was trying to create was a similar build but with the introduction of juggernaut and especially the node unstoppable makes so that temp chains does not have a drawback. However the nerf vaal molten shell got to the damage at high end makes so that it does very subpar damage if you don't spam it using scolds or some other combination that has become possible with hooves. The duration is not a problem as the duration with temp chains is insane it is the damage nerf that makes the build very hard to make especially when most of the damage comes from ignites from this kind of a build.

My suggestion is kinda boring as we have gotten many nerfs like this but having a cooldown on vaal molten shell instead of nerfing the damage would be much better as it both keeps the scolds version down and does not hurt the non scolds version at all because the amount of procs is very low especially now with the change that only physical damage procs it aswell.
hi <3 I stream at twitch.tv/sjatar_
GGG, Molten Shell deserves an AoE buff. +1 range every 4 levels sounds just fine.
Probably Vaal MS deserves it too.
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
yeah, went here to say the same

It is already hard to make (non-vaal) MS decent main skill, which is fine, because of its high damage potential. But Im afraid in 2.6 its AoE is going to be pitiful. Even the strongest current close range spell, BV, got some.. so where is the problem?
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Mar 1, 2017, 11:51:29 AM
Well, too bad, too bad.

Given how good many other AoE skills are rigth now with reasonable investment in AoE, it is sad how damn useless Molten Shell is.

Not only it should have +1 range every 4 levels, but also like +4 base range from very start.

Will wait and hope for 2.6.1.
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
Last edited by Sarganis87 on Mar 4, 2017, 4:10:00 AM
I would like to use Shell for armor boost, but it explodes instantly. Not good.
Hi, GGG

My build is Self-casting(detonate) Molten Shell, lvl 90 Witch, the issue is molten shell no longer trigger it used to be, it proper works when you cast molten shell at first, then you cast molten shell again while the previous molten shell buff exists, molten shell was triggered to explode in this such loop(the build must met the threshold of certain damage absorb).

The skill setting is : Molten shell + Life leech + Area effect + Controlled destruction + Fire penetration + Blood magic

The key point is Blood magic, when I removed it, replace low level Molten shell ( in order to met the absorb requirement ) ,which mean I use mana instead of life to cast skill, then the loop works correctly .

So, all I want to say is the only factor has been changed regarding with the source of casting, but I don't see that coming in wiki or officially, so can GGG explain this for me please, thank you.
"
tigerhei wrote:
The key point is Blood magic, when I removed it, replace low level Molten shell (in order to met the absorb requirement), which mean I use mana instead of life to cast skill, then the loop works correctly.

Since you didn't list your setup, it's guesswork as to what the issue is. Mine would be, you're using Scold's Bridle. Scold's Bridle only triggers off Mana expenditure nowadays - it no longer works with Blood Magic. This is intentional.
I've just noticed that as a Marauder at around level 25 with a level 7ish Molten Shell, the armour bonus is only about 10% more than I have without it.

Is this supposed to be a defensive talent or an offensive talent? It doesn't seem to do either very well.
No AoE buffs...

=(
Real shame this skill didn't get + radius per level up to +6 or somesuch. It feels very lackluster as is, perhaps a radius of 4-5 character widths :(
@BeerPact

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info