Molten Shell

Unavailable

Post your 0.9.6 feedback for this skill here.

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Balance & Design
Last bumped on Aug 1, 2021, 6:16:11 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
Lo4f wrote:
I can see from analyzing the defense tab of the character screen that the 30% Buff Effect passives are increasing the amount of armor gained by the expected amount. Good.

Now what I can't see is if the Buff Effect passives are also increasing the amount of damage it takes before the Shell explodes? Because that would be not so good.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
What will the increased effect actually do for these skills? Which part (or even both) of Phase Rune is improved? How do you improve on being invulnerable from Immortal Call, etc.
All numerical values are increased. So both parts of phase run benefit.
Boolean states like invulnerable can't be "increased" so there will be no noticeable difference.

This response from another thread seems to suggest yes, as the "damage before breaking" is a numerical value.
No, both the damage and the limit at which it breaks are aspects of the spell, but are not a part of the buff the spell puts on you. Buff effect only affects stats you're gaining from buffs.
This spell puts a buff on you which increases armour, and then keeps track of damage and deals damage to surrounding enemies when you reach the threshold - neither of those is something the buff on you is doing, but a part of the skill.
"
kodr wrote:
How does absorbed damage work?
Is it calculated after damage reduction from armor?
It is the damage reduction for armour.

Molten shell counts up how much physical damage was prevented by your physical damage reduction (which comes from armour + endurance charges) and also the physical damage prevented by blocking.

If the total amount of damage prevented reached the threshold, it explodes.
"
teprac wrote:
the player should never receive "absorbed" damage.

Absorbed should always mean the player does not receive damage, whether a player or a skill absorbs it.
They don't. It's specifically damage they don't take which counts here - the shields increase your armour, and are "absorbing" all the physical damage that is prevented until they have enough to explode. damage that actually gets dealt to you isn't counted at all.
"
kodr wrote:
So... damage prevented by blocking means 100% of the damage is added to the threshold?
Yes.
Same for immortal call.
Feedback after this point is for 0.9.7
Balance & Design
"
Lionguild wrote:
The passive node "Buff Effect: 6% increased Effect of Buffs You Cast" has zero benefit on Molten Shell level 1. Using a Level 11 Templar.

Is this intended?
It should increase the amount of armour you get from the buff. You should be able to see it in the character panel.
"
Lionguild wrote:
Ok yes it did increase the armor according to the character panel. Should this passive node also increase the damage?
No. The damage is part of the skill, not the buff.

The Molten Shell Skill does two things:
1) Adds a buff to you which improves your armour
2) Records damage prevented and if it exceeds a threshold, the skill will remove the buff and deal damage in an area around you.

Buff Effect increases will increase only how big the bonuses to your stats you get from buffs are, not anything else that a skill involving a buff does.
We're working on making this more clear.
"
victor1957 wrote:
"2) Records damage prevented"

what kind of damage did it prevent?
cos when i try this skill and stand in mobs, he didnt explose.(without shield) With shield when i block attack he explose.
It's not just damage prevented by the shield (although the increase to armour from the shell obviously helps) - it records all physical damage from enemy hits that is prevented to your character, by armour/physical damage reduction, by blocking, or by immunity.
It doesn't do anything for evasion (or dodge) - you were never hit so there was no damage to prevent.
"
visibiliti wrote:
So Mark,

Molten Shell should get a damage increase to the explosion portion of the skill if you link it to the new Iron Will support gem, right?

(Assuming you have enough strength to get some damage% bonus)
Molten shell is a spell, and thus it's damage will be affected by the Iron Will support, yes.
"
wildery wrote:
I know you guys have discussed this before, but effectiveness points should improve the whole buff, and saying that Damage when it explodes aint apart of the buff gives me a fucking brainexplode soon, as well as anyone else can see its on the buff.
Except that it isn't part of the buff, and can't be, because buffs don't work like that - a buff just adds stats to the thing it's on, and can't actively do anything such as dealing damage. And as a result that stat can't affect it.
The buff was, for a short time, mislabeled in a way that made it sound like the damage was dealt by the buff, which is not the case, but this has already been fixed (although I can't guarantee whether that fix has made it to beta yet or not). I have, however, just fixed up a couple of other buff descriptions which were similarly confusing.

"
wildery wrote:
Otherwise i suggest, on for example Inner Focus: does not affect damage of buffs, or just make the damage less from start and this is a way to increase the damage.
would maybe solve some problems with the pig-shaman guys as well.
Saying it doesn't affect damage of buffs is unnecessary because buffs cannot deal damage, and potentially confusing because buffs can apply bonuses to damage, and those are affected.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info