Molten Shell

"
Lo4f wrote:

This response from another thread seems to suggest yes, as the "damage before breaking" is a numerical value.

If you read the post Mark made after that one you would know that damage will not be increased by Buff Effect passives.
"
"
Lo4f wrote:

This response from another thread seems to suggest yes, as the "damage before breaking" is a numerical value.

If you read the post Mark made after that one you would know that damage will not be increased by Buff Effect passives.

How do you figure Damage, as in "Deals XXX-XXX Fire Damage", is related to what I was discussing- "Shield breaks after absorbing XXX total Damage"?

If you read the post I made after that one you would see I clearly stated:

"
Lo4f wrote:
the damage portion of the spell is different than the buff effect it causes.

So let me ask this as plainly as possible...

Do Increased Buff Effect passives modify the buff variable "Shield breaks after absorbing XXX total Damage"?
It will not, because buffs do not deal damage.
"
Lo4f wrote:
I can see from analyzing the defense tab of the character screen that the 30% Buff Effect passives are increasing the amount of armor gained by the expected amount. Good.

Now what I can't see is if the Buff Effect passives are also increasing the amount of damage it takes before the Shell explodes? Because that would be not so good.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
What will the increased effect actually do for these skills? Which part (or even both) of Phase Rune is improved? How do you improve on being invulnerable from Immortal Call, etc.
All numerical values are increased. So both parts of phase run benefit.
Boolean states like invulnerable can't be "increased" so there will be no noticeable difference.

No, both the damage and the limit at which it breaks are aspects of the spell, but are not a part of the buff the spell puts on you. Buff effect only affects stats you're gaining from buffs.
This spell puts a buff on you which increases armour, and then keeps track of damage and deals damage to surrounding enemies when you reach the threshold - neither of those is something the buff on you is doing, but a part of the skill.
I must say that I love the originality of this skill <3
I like this skill a lot but feel it needs greater duration. Perhaps 20 seconds instead of 10. Also like all aoe skills I'd like to see the radius of effect on the skill tool tip.
"
BlastMonkey wrote:
I like this skill a lot but feel it needs greater duration. Perhaps 20 seconds instead of 10. Also like all aoe skills I'd like to see the radius of effect on the skill tool tip.

Just FYI, you can increase the duration of this skill with the Increased Duration support as well as Buff Duration and Skill Duration passives. I assume you're suggesting a longer base duration though?
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
Last edited by UristMcDwarfy on Feb 17, 2012, 8:51:20 PM
well i'm lvl 37 dualwield sword,

i dont have any spell dmg increase, but i feel like the spell needs a faster cast speed, and i dont really like the dmg about 600 at my lvl, i do 600dmg with 1 cleave with 2,8 attacks per sec.

i would like it more if the skill would explode more then once in the duration 3 times? and everytime 1 of the 3 shields goes away?, well so i could use the armor longer.
its like, i cast ist, it explodes instantly.
not even worth to recast 1 sec becoz i would die if i dont lifeleech myself.
On a melee build, I found this skill pretty useful in normal and cruel. In merciless, I don't use it anymore because

1. You can't afford to get surrounded
2. The damage is mediocre
3. Since mobs do so much damage, the shield only lasts for half a second
4. It is slow to cast on a melee char with no increased cast speed
5. The armor bonus is insignificant for a char who is already tanky (takes my char from 60% DR to 63%)

Visually, it looks great and I really enjoyed using it throughout the early levels. But I think it scales poorly for level 50+
"
UristMcDwarfy wrote:
I assume you're suggesting a longer base duration

Of course. Even if you build your character around maxing buff durations a 10 second base time provides little in bonuses from supports and passives. I see no reason for such a strict duration limitation on a skill designed to collapse rapidly under duress.

With a short duration you're forced to cast it the instant before or during a big fight but there are many other skills also needed to be cast at this time. Melee builds typically don't have a lot of mana and massive pre-fight buff spamming is annoying.

I'd rather be able to cast this long before a fight and not have to worry about it running out.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info