Balancing Legacy Unique Items

"
alhazred70 wrote:
"
Tempada wrote:
and can make it so both pc and console will never have legacy uniques again. This possibility excites me, and I say that as someone who owns plenty of legacy gear.

Can you explain why this excites you? Is it that you enjoy the unhappiness of others? Or is it some other mental health problem?

I don't enjoy the unhappiness of others, but I do enjoy when GGG makes ballsy (divisive) decisions that refresh the landscape of PoE and simultaneously streamline development. The Awakening (2.0), for example, was extremely ballsy. So many changes, but changes that made sense for the future of the game. The game was growing and getting unwieldy, and the changes to buffs, mana reservation, Enlightenment, AA, EB... This surely simplified balance while giving us new toys to try. I do miss the old mechanics, but I can appreciate it if the devs needed them to go.

Now maybe we're coming to a similar juncture. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand legacy gear to be an unintended consequence of the way the game code was originally written. Can GGG code the Xbox version so legacies never occur? If the answer is yes, then is there a way to remove legacy uniques from the pc to keep both versions of the game on similar footing? If GGG has a chance to streamline the code and fix an unintended consequence, do you think they will? It would be a bold decision since there would most definitely be blowback. While I find that stirring of the pot intriguing, it's not like I'm sustained by the salt of sad streamers. If GGG is actually getting rid of legacies, it's probably helping to spur unique item balance (new toys can lessen the blow). The newness is what excites me.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
awesome~
Please adjust 'The Covenant' to make is useful in the current game. I have been in love with it for years, but it has never once been as good as a decent rare (mostly due to interrupting energy recharge every time you use a skill and the fact that Vaal Pact is basically suicide). Make 3.0 the time it finally shines!

self plug-> https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1831358
Do something with Sin Trek please! Even just removing it from the game would be better than it dropping!
🐢
I don't like changes to legacy items. It makes items feel less valuable when your items sometimes randomly gets messed up, so I hope it doesn't affect existing items.

For me a lot of the fun in the game comes from getting the league specific items, so to get a shittier version suddenly is not nice. It's not fun when they are made super cheaply available after the league either so I hope the new league won't be like that.
"
Fasteddie1 wrote:
? Not enough info to know where this is all going ...

Legacy League confirmed?
Misleading title
"
trav_dawg wrote:
Please for the love of all that is good, deal with the plague that is Zerphi's last breath!

Yeah make it immune to nullifier! And please make it that using scold cannot kill yourself anymore!

800% is a big hassle for attack build mqke it at least 1200% that way we don't have to invest to use it.

Please makes Zerphi s great again (and make it common drop)
You ARE my Bitch of burden!
"Stay Alive exile! Or you'll be the next zombie someone raises off the beach." - Altnaharra
" Be Excellent To Each Other" -MikeP_GGG
"If you die to yourself are you still the victor? " - BEX_GGG
Good news! Finally!
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
"
Tempada wrote:
"
alhazred70 wrote:
"
Tempada wrote:
and can make it so both pc and console will never have legacy uniques again. This possibility excites me, and I say that as someone who owns plenty of legacy gear.

Can you explain why this excites you? Is it that you enjoy the unhappiness of others? Or is it some other mental health problem?

I don't enjoy the unhappiness of others, but I do enjoy when GGG makes ballsy (divisive) decisions that refresh the landscape of PoE and simultaneously streamline development. The Awakening (2.0), for example, was extremely ballsy. So many changes, but changes that made sense for the future of the game. The game was growing and getting unwieldy, and the changes to buffs, mana reservation, Enlightenment, AA, EB... This surely simplified balance while giving us new toys to try. I do miss the old mechanics, but I can appreciate it if the devs needed them to go.

Now maybe we're coming to a similar juncture. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand legacy gear to be an unintended consequence of the way the game code was originally written. Can GGG code the Xbox version so legacies never occur? If the answer is yes, then is there a way to remove legacy uniques from the pc to keep both versions of the game on similar footing? If GGG has a chance to streamline the code and fix an unintended consequence, do you think they will? It would be a bold decision since there would most definitely be blowback. While I find that stirring of the pot intriguing, it's not like I'm sustained by the salt of sad streamers. If GGG is actually getting rid of legacies, it's probably helping to spur unique item balance (new toys can lessen the blow). The newness is what excites me.

Nothing in the landscape changes when you get rid of legacy gear in standard league, you're just taking away toys that are old and don't effect you or the meta and most certainly have nothing to do with the temp league. I mean; being that you enjoy the pot freshly stirred you surely aren't a mostly standard league player right? Almost no meta builds demand a legacy item that only exists in standard. So I'll chalk that reply up to ducking the real question and move on.

Legacy gear is stuff that someone grinded for or earned with quite possibly a ridiculous amount of play time and/or hard to get currency. In many games it is left in place (not "retroactively nerfed") while new drops of the same item get nerfs, precisely because game dev's know that forcibly changing old items that were already earned is viewed with about the same level of pleasantness and understanding as walking into their house and replacing their 70" flat screen with a 1992 21" tube CRT. Players tend to leave games over such things, so it is seen by most Developers to be better to just nerf the new drops and let the legacy items remain as trophies.

Yes most knowlegable gamers understand the occasional necessity, and the usual EULA that stipulates that the items and all pixels are owned by the game company, but its normal human nature to feel ownership and investment of your earned things be they items or characters etc. Most game companies know this and also know that if they treat the players accomplishments as trivial, fleeting non persistent things then the players will grow to treat the games accomplishments and goals as trivial fleeting and worth bothering with. I.e. treat the game as not worth playing.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info