An Item Filter for the Discerning Exile | Ancestors Release | Spectre Filter Alpha

I like that you're creating your own tiering instead of using a tweaked NeverSink. From what I gathered, NeverSink is basing the tiering on trade demand and prices. But those don't make much sense for SSF. A Mirror of Kalandra is cool and all, but not practically usable in SSF - what are you going to do, mirror a ring so you have two, mirror a weapon for dual wielding, or mirror a map? Fortunately it is an extremely rare drop so I don't have to worry about it :p

Anyway, back to the current filter: now that I am really progressing my maps and build I am tweaking the filter to hide stuff. I like all the options that are available, but some things are not that clear to me. For example, some options have values show/remove/hide, others only have show/hide or show/remove. And I can't immediately tell what the setting will do. I'm guessing the 'remove' option wil not apply the setting at all (like an 'ignore' or 'skip') but I can't be certain. Also the questions seems a bit inconsistent sometimes:

"Do you want to hide high tier Uniques?" vs "Do you want corrupted items to show even if there is no corrupted mod or white socket?".
"Which Heist bases do you want to see?" vs "Which of these don't you want to see?".

There might be a valid reason for these things, but for me it can cause some confusion. And I do get it is difficult to have short and readably - but clear - options. Luckily there is a preview feature on that site so I can see what the result actually is :)
"
superdreddie wrote:

Awesome feedback with lots of specifics, thanks for that!

Right, NS (programs professionally) and uses automated tools to order and sort his tiers for some things, so you'll get an economically relevant highlight but lose whatever nuance comes from individually categorizing the options (he may also do a manual pass, idk). My approach definitely still cares about the scarcity of a drop but puts much more emphasis on progression value, risk, and farmability.

Aye, the customization is messy (was worse before lol) and the organization of Spirit is pretty patchwork. Your guess is correct that Remove will make the filter ignore that block instead of Showing or Hiding it. The reason you sometimes see only two from among Show/Hide/Remove comes down to conflicting filtering and the "reach" of the highlight, for example if Weapon Upgrades had a Hide option that would hide the best choices for weapons that drop (of whatever weapon classes are selected) without affecting outdated ones - with Remove, those potential weapon upgrades simply don't get an extra highlight and minimap icon but may continue to show if they have good properties. Likewise if you could Hide Chaos/Regal recipe and 5L instead of Removing them you would end up with a very broad net catching and Hiding basically any decent item.

I'm trying to be clearer and more concise with the new filter, and am being really strict with my own organization within the filter so that ought to help. Again it's great to point these things out, it's a challenge to maintain consistency across such a wide area of script.
*You call into the void. You hear a sound in the distance.*
"
Felix35071 wrote:

Aye, the customization is messy (was worse before lol) and the organization of Spirit is pretty patchwork. Your guess is correct that Remove will make the filter ignore that block instead of Showing or Hiding it. The reason you sometimes see only two from among Show/Hide/Remove comes down to conflicting filtering and the "reach" of the highlight, for example if Weapon Upgrades had a Hide option that would hide the best choices for weapons that drop (of whatever weapon classes are selected) without affecting outdated ones - with Remove, those potential weapon upgrades simply don't get an extra highlight and minimap icon but may continue to show if they have good properties. Likewise if you could Hide Chaos/Regal recipe and 5L instead of Removing them you would end up with a very broad net catching and Hiding basically any decent item.

See, that makes sense :) But I am not knowledable enough about all these things in the game to figure it out myself :p

"
Felix35071 wrote:

I'm trying to be clearer and more concise with the new filter, and am being really strict with my own organization within the filter so that ought to help. Again it's great to point these things out, it's a challenge to maintain consistency across such a wide area of script.

Yeah, my comment was more targeted towards the new filter so you could perhaps keep it in mind if/when you add customization. I did not mean that you should go over the current Spirit filter and makes those changes! Spend your time on the new filter instead :)
With the next expansion coming up soon, does this filter need an update? I was thinking that perhaps an update was not really needed and any new items would be automatically very visible.

I am also curious about the new shiny filter and it's progress. I can imagine maintaining two filters is very time consuming!
"
superdreddie wrote:
With the next expansion coming up soon, does this filter need an update? I was thinking that perhaps an update was not really needed and any new items would be automatically very visible.

I am also curious about the new shiny filter and it's progress. I can imagine maintaining two filters is very time consuming!

The Shiny update(s) sort of already happened, then merged with what I started doing for Ruthless, which then turned into this new filter. So there's no misunderstanding, you'll want to move from Spirit+ to Spectre (the new filter) and I'll be maintaining that going forward... Which hopefully starts soon lol, I had very little access to my pc during Sanctum and only got to 8 challenges (4 in the last couple days of league) so the chances to work on it were scattered until a week ago or so. I actually replaced my modem today, just in time!

I've been testing it heavily for the last few days with terrible latency and today I'm adding the missing league components (they aren't hidden or anything, things not caught by the filter get a major highlight) and running a character through to maps to make sure gear progression is working. It's a major step up imo, Spectre. Different construction and super precise highlights and hiding, and I've worked sounds, icons, and beams into the filter better.

As for whether Spirit+ will work, it will break due to a few BaseType changes and the removal of some Breachstones. It's able to take on gems, div cards, currency, etc but the removal of syntax will always break it. :) It's pretty easy to make the changes that fix it if someone wants to, but I'll also be starting a fresh thread for Spectre when it's ready (or a workable version anyway).
Where would I find your 3.21 filter? The links on the first page all point to 3.20 filters.
It's not about winning or losing. It's about how many new rules they have to add to the book because of you.
"
B_Brown wrote:
Where would I find your 3.21 filter? The links on the first page all point to 3.20 filters.

I'll put it up soon, just need to implement the 3.21 changes which are quick. Finished the primary filtering last night.

Since it's short notice I'll upload it in this thread first, once I get some of the secondary highlighting in (like tiering uniques beyond leveling value and affix sorting for regular drops) I'll setup a new thread with pictures and more information about it.

Edit: Alright it's ready, just waiting on Filterblast to be updated to parse it out and put up some followable versions. There won't be a github hosted version or filterblast interface quite yet, just the end result filters.
Last edited by Felix35071 on Apr 7, 2023, 10:30:21 AM
https://www.pathofexile.com/item-filter/jLnNq2iJ
Edit: If you're playing Ruthless you can use:
https://www.pathofexile.com/item-filter/Vprx0qFM

Here is the alpha for Spectre. I think it's complete enough to play through the game with but as mentioned I haven't done Unique tiering. This does NOT mean that all uniques look the same, but none are hidden and the estimated value is determined by the BaseType, any special properties, and placement in the leveling progression. Some types of uniques such as flasks will have a strong highlight, as will anything the filter doesn't catch. This "strong highlight" has AlertSound 15, bright red text, bright white background, pinkish brown border, and a red beam effect. Anything that has partial support will get a partial Catchall (the technical name) highlight filling in the other parts unless I've already overrided or manually disabled them with MinimapIcon -1 or PlayEffect None, or AlertSound None respectively.

Please let me know what I missed! Affix filtering just knows Unid, ID'd, and 6 Mod (Augmentation recipe is brute forced) for now.

Some info on Spectre:
Sifting Format for Highlights
Spoiler
Rather than assigning blanket highlights to valuable combinations of factors, Spectre's items have specific properties evaluated and highlights applied independently as they "fall" through the filter.

This means that Text, Background, Border, and AlertSound/Icon/Beam often have individual sections in the filter, and each of these highlight categories is ordered top to bottom least to most valuable or noteworthy (such that Corruption's red border will be overridden by Fracture or Synthesis).

Procedural Sizing
Spoiler
Using Dissolator's Filterblast Syntax (specifically the ModFontSize command which allows properties further in the filter to grow or shrink the text from a base size) in combination with the Continue function of the regular filter syntax, Spectre is able to show outdated but still useful items without tons of false positives.

Essentially, if an item becomes outdated it will be hidden unless it passes a level+property threshold, in which case it will be shown and appear smaller compared to an updated item (unless it has other properties such as six sockets that make the outdated factor irrelevant).

Progressive Outdating
Spoiler
Bases are shrunken and Hidden as they become outdated, depending on the item Class's DropLevel progression. Rather than outdating unilaterally every 5 area/drop levels, equipment updates more dynamically by a combination of BaseType and AreaLevel along 15 irregular ranges. This allows bases like hybrid defenses and Maraketh weapons to remain up to date while regular ones fall off.

Item Class Sensitive
Spoiler
It's typical to highlight Accessories differently than equipment, but Spectre takes it a step further - accounting for the maximum number of Sockets and role a given item class plays. This means Helmets, Boots, and Gloves are handled differently from Shields+1H Weapons and yet differently from Body Armours+2H Weapons. This attention to detail is prevalent throughout the filter.

Please provide feedback if you get the chance, it's early still and I have only run two chars through acts to test it (along with regular checking various settings in Filterblast).
Tutorial 1 - Basics
Spoiler
Green indicates Equipment, Quest, or Atlas progression. Blue indicates farming or selling value. Red indicates danger, whether to monsters (weapons), your character (dangerous maps), or an applicable item (orb of scouring). These colors overlap as well! Yellow is risky progression (commonly seen with currency), Purple indicates something risky but valuable to farm/sell (Pink indicates a more limited drop like an Atlas Base or Legacy item), and Cyan represents valuable progression. Also, the bigger and brighter something is, the better! You can see this in real time by leveling and GCPing your gems and checking their progress.

Tutorial 2 - Basics Cont.
Spoiler
A wide variety of colors are also used to indicate the type of drop and its position within that type, using the color of the item in-game where reasonable. Ex. Divination Card text colors are tied to the reward, so a card with a unique reward has a rusty orange text color while a currency card is yellow and an item base is grey-white.

Tutorial 3 - Minimap
Spoiler
Note that items that lose priority in the filter may still show without effects or icons before Hiding, so it's possible for example to be in a high enough level area for a 5 link to be uninteresting on a sufficiently outdated BaseType, but good enough for leveling to still be left visible but smaller.
Spoiler
Circle - Equipment | Cross - Linked Items | Raindrop - Flasks | Kite - Gems | Pentagon - Jewels | Diamond - Currency | Triangle - Divination Cards | Square - Maps | Moon - Fragments | Star - Uniques | Hexagon - Identified Items | UpsideDownHouse - Quest or Secret Drop

Tutorial 4 - Text Brightness and Background Color
Spoiler
Equipment, primarily Weapons and Armours, follow independent highlighting to indicate Weapon/Armour as well as Attack/Caster and Base Defence Percentile, respectively. Weapon text color brightens when the implicit is decent and is dim otherwise. Armour text color brightens as the Base Defence nears perfection and dims when a roll falls short.

Tutorial 5 - Notes
Spoiler
The filter will probably take some getting used to. Items of the same Rarity appearing different from each other depending on Class can be disorienting - Normal Armours are Greenish, Weapons can have a Red tint, it can be a lot of new information at once. Ultimately the goal of the filter is to allow a player to parse at a glance the distribution of their drops between Weapons, Armours, Accessories, different types of Currency, Flasks, Jewels, Maps, Fragments, and so on while being able to prioritize those drops quickly (without the screen turning into bright soup).

Tutorial 6 - For Newer Players
Spoiler
If you are new to PoE the filter should help you learn which bases are up to date, which weapons have a useful implicit, how many sockets you should expect at a given level, flask progression, vendor recipes, league mechanics, and a lot more.

As always if launch happens and there's an issue I'll fix it ASAP. Probably more likely with this launch than others lol.

Good luck and have fun everyone!
Last edited by Felix35071 on Apr 7, 2023, 3:33:02 PM
I'm more excited for the new Spectre filter than the new league :D
"
superdreddie wrote:
I'm more excited for the new Spectre filter than the new league :D

Always nice to hear :)

Only got to Act III because of some distractions, but the filter seems to be working nicely.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info