Path of Exile is Coming to Xbox One!

"
bootdisk wrote:
"
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
Not really. The game is "Free to Play" as advertised. Anyone can download and play the game at no cost. It is not so free if you want to get the most out of your experience and enjoy it to its fullest, but those decisions can be made after you have played the game and developed an opinion about it. After playing for free, I choose to pay for enhancements to my experience.

(...)

As a privately held company they still might have shareholders who have contributed capital for any number of development efforts. Unless the company has made statements about their funding sources, you are wrong to assume that their income only comes from players. How they meet those expenses is not connecrted to their marketing which is tied to "Free to Play".

Now that was "Well said!". ;-)

So from what I see above, we all agree that the Game is not FREE. (I still hope you know what is GNU for example)

"
cipher_nemo wrote:

you are wrong to assume that their income only comes from players

Deadly wrong, profit solely comes from players who buy stuff, all other incomes are just third party investments that are expecting on a bigger profit from these same players' purchases.

And at the end when the profit does not meet the expectations funny things start to happen. You will see soon enough :)
Most of what you quoted is from my post. I haven't seen GGG Income statements or balance sheets, so any speculation about sources and uses of funds are just that, speculation.

The financial structure and funding of the company is important because that is what is driving the long term goals. Venture capital based firms have specific patterns for growth that push for specific outcomes and ROIs. they are looking for 20x, 50x 1000x return on their investments. If the company is funded through family, friends, local economic development efforts, then both the goals and progress steps will be different.

The current business model (pre xbox) is atypical for VC projects, because scaling is difficult. The xbox move looks to me like a move to realign the business model to be more mainstream and thereby more "investible" by third party money. This move might enable GGG to attract more funding that could be used to do any of the following: improve servers; expand game content; attract more players; fix long standing problems; hire more people; etc.

As I see it, GGG is using the xbox move to attract more players and to attract more investment money. But, if it is true that all of GGG's game expansion comes from player support purchases, then they will need lots more players to keep that flow of cash coming. Hence xbox. The current player base is not an endless, ever growing source of cash.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
I don't make alot of posts, but I supported GGG after my first league, because I thought they were a great company with an even better attitude. This league I had little time to play and alot of bad experiences. Some examples are:
- That performance improved (didn't change alot for me), but server stability reduced alot more, it was literally unplayable for me this league at start.
- I had trouble with the support this league and really long waiting times.
- I was really shocked about the new raised MTX and box prices, I didn't expect something like this as they were edgy already
After making a break this league, I cannot believe this post right now. I can't deny that I'm not entitled to say such a thing, but I feel GGG spend a part of my support on something I don't want. I've spend more money here than any other game, because I believed they're a small company in a rough enviroment and they try to keep their intentions true. Now this feels worse than any DLC. A company that has excess money for an extra dev team and sells digital wings for 30 Euros isn't a company I want to support anymore. If they make that much money more why the hell do they raise MTX prices higher and higher. I think I extend my break. I still hope things will change for good, but for now it's too much. Sry for my little rant, I know alot don't agree and I understand that other opinions exist.
"
Firefly00 wrote:
"
blinddagger95 wrote:
One thing that would be fun to have: A button or toggle so I could shut off the display of other people's MTX, I don't need to see your glowy weapons, I need to see the enemies moving in real-time.

A capital idea, sir. With everything else that the dev team were and are working on to improve performance, I am honestly puzzled by how this particular option seems to have slipped under their collective radar.
A lot of people buy mtx cause they want to stand out and look cool to others. Of course GGG wouldn't give an option to disable mtx effects.
As a student of history, I give this a 5% chance of success. It worked for Terraria, but this is an ARPG. I went through Diablo 3's open and closed betas. I knew it was coming to console, due to the monster collision being ridiculously huge, and I knew it was going to be an inferior product. That and the art direction was Isometric WoW.
"
NecroticSap wrote:
Calm down everyone, way too much salt. Its just expanding the player base. As long as the PC version is the primary focus we'll be ok. I have no idea how targeting or trade is going to work, and gem swapping would be difficult but that won't be my problem since PC is still more functional. It will be interesting, but I'm not buying an xbone just to buy a tweaked version of a game I already have 4000 hours in.

Logically: pick a direction with a stick, attack, identical to shift+click. gem swapping will probably be the same, or highlight based. EG select gem, select item, "dump all sockets" of current item, etc.

The problem isn't the expansion of player base, the problem is splitting work to two different versions of the same game. corners won't just be cut, they will be Culling Striked.
Great job GGG! I'm excited for you to reach those gamers on console who don't play PC. For me, I am so excited to have just as many hours logged into the console version as I do/will on the PC version. My favourite PC game will now also be my favourite console game.

Will there be a beta? I want in.

Will my Steam account be able in some way to be affiliated with the Xbox account? (Even though it won't be cross compatible, will pathofexile.com require a different login or will I be able to have my list of characters (console and PC) on one list on POE.com?

Will you allow "mods"...thinking specifically of loot filters?

Will there be a way to trade like poe.trade for console gamers?

Will it allow couch co-op?

Are there going to be character limits?

Can you....

ARG! Just come out with the game tomorrow please. I have too many questions.

LOOOOOVE YOOOOOU!
https://www.ForeverExiled.com/: Forever Exiled, A Path of Exile Podcast

Annnnnd

Wrecker of Days' One-Stop-Shop: Stress-Free Builds (& Filters): 1-Button, HC SSF, Item Freedom: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3467875
"
LOL. RIP Alt-F4 hardcore players!

Ah, the "I'm too bad to play HC so I'll try to bash them" post. If it was as easy as ALT-F4'ing you might have one HC character over lvl 16.

Why is anyone complaining about this? It's a great game that more people should experience. I'm as big of an Xbox hater as can be, and I think this is awesome. GGG has done an awesome job with this game over the years. No one forced you kids to purchase MTX. When I purchase MTX I don't do it because I want them to make the game exactly how I want it. GGG makes much better decisions than the VAST majority of companies in this space.

tldr; stay in SC, special snowflakes!
ॐ "Metal Gear!?!?!?" ॐ
Onslaught: FixinToDie + Awnslot
"
Mootthemad wrote:
"
Ain_Soph_Aur wrote:
Wow so much negativity...GGG has done an amazing job creating one of the best games this side of D2 and they started with only 4 ppl. They are now ~90 employees strong and created the XBOX ONE version with "a small strike team within our studio" that created the DX11 version - something I'm betting would NEVER have happened had they not had this agreement with Microsoft and the XB1. And IF they keep the teams separate then what is the issue? Instead of all the poo-pooing maybe we should consider this as a very positive sign that GGG will be financially stable for many more years to come and this game we love will get strong, better, and most importantly still be around for acts 6-10.

Anyhow who isn't excited for SNOW!!!!!!!! Act V hurry your sweet ass up!

They created the dx11 version? Oh my god better kneel down to them.. oh wait nvm you mean the buggy as hell, unplayable dx11.
Unplayable? I have had zero issues with it.
Kinda disappointing since Xbox it's from microsoft which i hate and xbox sucks tbh, it's the only console im missing xD.

Anyway i guess this is a good new for those little ppl that actually play on xbox, altho im not surprised by the fact that there is a low pop on xbox.

Then again im guessing its a good thing for ggg since they are gonna make more money that way somehow, which i hope they will.

I didn't get the act 5 part tho but anyways, i do believe tho they should be more focused on the pc version and i do also personal believe that it was too soon to head for a console version.
Last edited by Graklak on Jan 19, 2017, 5:42:40 PM
Personally I'm not against GGG releasing the game on any console. What I've experienced in the past though, is that developers start developing the game's systems with consoles in mind. Which in turn dumbs down/slows down the gameplay immensely. And changes the gameplay for the worst.

As long as GGG develops the game for pc audience first, and won't let the console adjustments leak to the pc version, I have no issues with this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info