0.9.6 Patch Notes

"
Drudley wrote:
Stop your idiotic whining, please, you guys are the reason they don't post the patch notes earlier.

Witches aren't underpowered now so why the hell are you complaining when they're just getting more options?
They are simply making another witch build type viable, not nerfing your spell builds.

A valid discussion about important game mechanics that has nothing to do with balance really. Stop whining about our non-whining.
I already have a very viable wand witch using elemental hit, and sad to say that I probably won't get much use out of Power Siphon:

1) Fusing orbs are so scarce right now that I'd have to either give up my current badly linked items w/ good mods or gamble a good deal of currency in order to fit a 2nd attack skill in with passive supports.

2) As a crit-based build with 35% crit chance before power charges, it's much easier and probably faster to just use Voll's. Being diligent enough to stop spamming attacks and switching to a 2ndary attack to finish off a mob (x6), then at least once more every ~13 seconds thereafter, doesn't sound like much fun.

I can only see Power Siphon being viable as a primary attack. Maybe someone else can try a wand marauder with this skill and the Iron Grip keystone and let us all know how that works out :).
I will probably switch my Flicker Strike dual-charge witch to Power Siphon dual-charge.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Zaanus wrote:
What's the problem giving witches power charges in some manner that doesn't require using physical damage weapons?
One of the big advantages of most witches at the moment is they're much less dependent on gear for damage than other classes.
Hahahahahaha boy that's a good one. Telling me I don't care about how much Spell Damage is on my wand and acting like at least 50% of my overall damage doesn't come from my wand and focus. It's like you don't even play the game.

Anyways, looks like I'll be sticking with Voll's Armour.
"
Strill wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Zaanus wrote:
What's the problem giving witches power charges in some manner that doesn't require using physical damage weapons?
One of the big advantages of most witches at the moment is they're much less dependent on gear for damage than other classes.
Hahahahahaha boy that's a good one. Telling me I don't care about how much Spell Damage is on my wand and acting like at least 50% of my overall damage doesn't come from my wand and focus. It's like you don't even play the game.

Anyways, looks like I'll be sticking with Voll's Armour.
He said less dependent than the other classes on gear for damage, not that they don't care about damage from gear at all. You can deal with having no spell damage from gear. Which other classes can deal with no damage from gear? None that use weapon skills. That's Mark's point.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
Qarl wrote:
Our beta testers, as a group, tend to find many more creative ways to abuse the skills in testing than we do.

It's an interesting skill to be sure, shame the game doesn't really complement it. I guess we'll just have to take a look at the new state of things and see.
Just wanted to say I think this patch is gonna be awesome!

+ 1 Positive Feedback
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
He said less dependent than the other classes on gear for damage, not that they don't care about damage from gear at all. You can deal with having no spell damage from gear. Which other classes can deal with no damage from gear? None that use weapon skills. That's Mark's point.
I can deal with having no damage from gear at all?! No I certainly cannot deal with having no damage from gear at all. That would be like a weapon damage class using a white weapon with no physical damage bonuses. In fact, it's almost exactly like that since the damage loss is pretty darn close.

Casters are just as dependent on their weapons as any other character.
"
Strill wrote:
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
I can deal with having no damage from gear at all?! No I certainly cannot deal with having no damage from gear at all. That would be like a weapon damage class using a white weapon with no physical damage bonuses. In fact, it's almost exactly like that since the damage loss is pretty darn close.

Casters are just as dependent on their weapons as any other character.
You're missing the point. Spells have their own damage. Weapon skills don't. Therefore, weapon-skill users are dependent on damage from gear. Casters are not.

A caster with no weapon and no damage from gear can still hurt enemies. Other characters can't. They both benefit from damage on weapons, but spells even scale better than weapon skills when it comes to base damage without added damage from gear.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Feb 7, 2012, 7:29:55 PM
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
You're missing the point. Spells have their own damage. Weapon skills don't. Therefore, weapon-skill users are dependent on damage from gear. Casters are not.

A caster with no weapon and no damage from gear can still hurt enemies. Other characters can't.

They both benefit from damage on weapons, but spells even scale better than weapon skills when it comes to base damage without added damage from gear.

A weapon damage character with no weapon is as likely as a caster with no spells. In other words, nonexistent.

You're grasping at straws and your methodology is flawed. If you want to compare how difficult it is to improve your damage as a weapon user vs a caster, you need to start with the base case, then compare how difficult it is to go from the base case to the final case. The base case is a white weapon and a single attack skill, since that's what you are given right after the start of the game. The question then is what is the cost/benefit for improving damage as both a caster and a weapon user. I don't think there's any substantial difference.
Last edited by Strill on Feb 7, 2012, 7:46:30 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info