[2.6] Flash Freeze Ice Shot Ranger

My try on a magic find variation of this build:

Gear:
Spoiler

Character is The_IceQueen, if anyone wanna look at passive tree.

Setup and thoughts:

- Went deadeye in the idea of getting free chain to free up the chain gem so i could run quantity gem on a future 6 link. After testing, turns out the chain gem is just too amazing to pass on clearing packs. Makes me sad, because i lose a LOT of damage from running chain+GMP and the only real solution would be to switch to a reach or death opus, but that defeats the purpose of building MF :( So i'm kinda stuck with that. For now added cold is the best 5th link i found, might try increased crit damage once i get enough crit. I tried out hypothermia, but i dislike it because it only gives damage on the 2nd hit, not the first, and my goal with ice shot is to oneshot packs.

- Using Windripper for the MF. This bow has pretty good elemental damage, but terrible physical. This means that the Hatred aura is really bad with this bow, i'm currently experimenting with Wrath (level 6 wrath is already better than level 17 hatred, lol). I'm also thinking about going herald of thunder since it reserves less mana, which would allow me to get arctic armour for more defense

- Currently at 3700HP at level 75. It's not my first low HP build, i'll be fairly comfortable once i reach 4k, although 4k5 would be preferable. Goal of the build is farming shaped strands without too much trouble, so 4K life is fine.

- Did not oneshot myself to reflect yet, so i dont feel the need to run Sibyl's lament. If i ever need to, its not a big deal to remove one ventor's for it either.

- Gloves. There's so many good gloves for this build. I thought legacy maligaro's would be best at first, but i did the math and turns out surprinsingly thunderfists pulls ahead by a bit. My guess is that since i'm running windripper, all my damage is scaled off my initial flat elemental damage, and thunderfists adds a bunch of it. I'm considering maybe switching to acuity's once i get the cash.

- MF slot. Bisco's collar is insanely good, nothing bad to say about it. I mainly focus on item quantity, so my three unique options were greed's embrace, goldwyrm and perandus blazon. I settled on goldwyrm because it's the one that gives the most quantity (can roll up to 30 on legacy version) and it doesn't make me lose movement speed (like greed's embrace) or a lot of weapon elemental damage (perandus blazon). I'd probably run blazon too if i wasn't so short on life :(

- Utility skills. I'm running blink arrow+mirror arrow, like all my bow builds, but i'm also experimenting with frost bomb+increased duration. With the 50% AoE from deadeye, the bomb has a pretty good area and with increased duration it lasts about 5 seconds which is a nice window to pop flask and burst down a boss. Speaking of bosses...

- Single target. I've been running Shrapnel shot for single target, it's not too bad, but i started to knock back enemies on hit with the king of the hill passive which kinda screws with the idea of staying up close to get double damage with shrapnel shot. I dislike blast rain, but that would probably be the best choice here.

Well I think I rambled enough :) Will update once i'm higher level!
Last edited by Pyromancer4 on Mar 17, 2017, 2:38:20 AM
Im still kind of new to the game and have been really enjoying this build.

For fun I thought about trying to make the switch to Energy Shield / Evasion gear and changing the tree to more energy shield nodes and none of the life ones.

www.poeurl.com/bbZe

Not sure if this would work though so if anyone has more experience with playing ES builds please let me know if this seems viable.
Last edited by osiriswarp on Mar 18, 2017, 7:03:13 PM
"
Blackiiee wrote:
Quick Question.
Would you recommend using two Threshold Jewels for Ice shot to make it pierce 100%? Or should I ditch it and make use of Chain?
Also if going pierce, would you drop "Ricochet" and "Fast and Deadly" for "Powerful Precision" and maybe "Rupture" for the extra crit% and crit multi% against bleeding Enemies?

With kind regards,
Blackiiee

If you take the cold conversion nodes on the tree Ice Shot will have 100% cold damage and only physical damage can bleed which makes Rupture useless except for Blast Rain which still has 10% physical.

As far as the jewel, I don't think GGG did a good job there or they intentionally made it bad as a pitfall. Locking a skill into a certain mechanic is just not good, where many other jewels they added this patch just gave skills more damage or a unique bonus it didn't have before.
"
therealjcool wrote:
Thanks for the build guide. I'm doing something similar in HC, but as a Duelist Slayer

Question: Herald of Ash or Herald of Ice? I know you can't curse with Ash, but just for the sake of damage, Ash should be better? Gives me more deeps at least.

I already can't comment because you're in HC and this build was clearly not made to be played there :P

Looking over the changes, I can't really say if you would need HoI to curse or not because it's such a different build, but you did drop the True Strike circle and with no power charges you are going to be much lower on crit chance than the original build and you may need to build your base damage more just to reach similar levels of dps.
"
osiriswarp wrote:
Im still kind of new to the game and have been really enjoying this build.

For fun I thought about trying to make the switch to Energy Shield / Evasion gear and changing the tree to more energy shield nodes and none of the life ones.

www.poeurl.com/bbZe

Not sure if this would work though so if anyone has more experience with playing ES builds please let me know if this seems viable.

The ES you are getting from the tree is kind of low for a traditional ES build and you will be splitting your gear for Eva/ES which will make it lower as well as you won't have a shield with ES and you will need to drop Hatred for Discipline. Depending on your final setup you might not have more than the life version. (This is also in danger of the next expansion that is due to come out where GGG is planning to look at and nerfing the Vaal Pact/CI life leech to keep overpowered builds from being overpowered.)

Looking at ascendancy, Rupture will do very little because you deal no physical damage with Ice Shot so you can't bleed a target. It will keep you from taking extra damage from bleeding while moving though which might be what you were going for.

Overall, its a fun idea and you will have to let me know how it turns out if you do try it.
Im still newbish - i have someone slowly coaching me on whats dumb and whats not - and im doing an ele-crit ice shot build. Would love some tips.

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAICAADuAdEFtQX5BiMIiRGBE1AT2hR1FSAV8BmGGYognCF2JP0qOCpNKlss6TB8MfoyATKUM5I31DnUPydDE0MxQzZEnkWWSQ9KyEz_TipRR1FMUuxTu1PPVvpbr11oXkVh62OnZdNpTm_ycUNxoXXLdvd313j5efZ6U3sUfVt-3X8CfyuBrIJeguSGs4bOiq-Nfo25jb-PT5ARkvOVBZcGmvGbJqCfoSKhpKJApuCn1Kl5rEetwq_rsQGxfLIZtQi3tr_VwTPC7MM6w-bEosjMyqnNmM8Kz3rXLdhg2cbasd0N3Ubfb-Hb4oDkaudU6mLrLO0_7g7vj_T4-uv9bv7I_94=

^
Is the skill tree ive made. Its running double andvarius rings and an ignomon. I dont really know what to use in jewelry so im just using MF stuff...

Ill be running deaths harp/ deaths opus with the deadeye endless munitions for a free LMP, and when i hit level 64 ill also get a silvertongue for bleed on the second weapon slot.
Hi, you set Herald of ice+COH+Mark in a 3 links, but which spell will use to active the mark?
Hi! I just have one question, how do you proc the extra power charge? I get the frenzy one but I don't from which gem do you get the power charge

tyvm for your help!
"
Wyvpank7 wrote:
Hi, you set Herald of ice+COH+Mark in a 3 links, but which spell will use to active the mark?

"
Le_Phato wrote:
Hi! I just have one question, how do you proc the extra power charge? I get the frenzy one but I don't from which gem do you get the power charge

When you have Herald of Ice + Curse on Hit + Assassins Mark when you shatter an enemy the Herald will do a 360 explosion of ice this applies the Assassins Mark to nearby enemies and when you kill those enemies you have a chance to gain a power charge from Assassins Mark.
Great, so we don't need a secondary skill to spread the curse!
Last question; i've reached lvl 5o and i'm searching for a better bow and specific gear for more dmg, have some advice?
TNX

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info