[3.0] AFK Gone Cheap - AFK up to T16 guardians||Shaper killed || 3.0 balls video montage!

"
LookItsAKitty wrote:
After picking up a massive shrine and opening up a breach, this build crashed the server instance I was on. It rolled back my level up and deleted my map. T_T

My friends refuse to play with me because of the lag.

I love this build, great job.

Rofl
"
Would DPS be affected drastically? Swapping to arc sounds really fun and the no lag sounds awesome. What spell gems would you swap with arc? all of them? Or maybe just 1 or 2?

I don't think multiple arc gems (or any other spell) will do anything. They all share the same cooldown, so you'd only ever see one triggered at a time. That's why we use three different spells in a 4-link CWDT, and try not to duplicate any spells used in our high-level CWDTs, either (as all gems of the same name share the same cooldown for CWDT's).

The DPS aspect of the helm spells comes entirely from fire burst procs. They are otherwise solely there to trigger ignites, which combo into the razor/eye/mokou's trinity. Whether or not you consistently get more hits out of arc or not depends on how you usually encounter groups of mobs. Lots of unobstructed linear distributions = ball lightning is probably awesome; lots of mobs coming from lots of unobstructed directions and getting close to you = novas should be awesome; most other situations translate into arc having a better performance. In maze maps you'll probably be happier with Arc or Nova as one of your spells (Fire Storm and BV are probably your other two; BV for keeping stacks up, Fire Storm because it's just awesome at generating hits over an area; you could try without the fire storm and see how it goes, though), but in tropical island and strand type maps you'll probably want Ball or Arc, whereas in wide open areas like dunes/oasis you might be happiest overall with a Nova, since mobs are likely to come at you from several directions). Against a Boss that has few to no adds spawned, Arc won't perform that well. As long as there's two targets up Arc can just bounce between them, but it can never chain to a target it just hit; but it can chain A->B->A->B->A. Ball Lightning probably triggers the most hits per second against strictly single targets, as it'll probably hit a boss that isn't tiny two or three times on each cast. Getting double hits from Shock Nova requires fairly precise positioning; so if you've got the skills to pay those bills it might be your most reliable performer in these situations.

One side effect of arc is that occasionally it will zip off into a group of mobs you haven't actually aggro'd yet, which is something I usually find convenient (maybe slightly annoying when I'm trying to pick up loot, as it's hard to resist the urge to just keep blasting through everything that's coming my way). Keeps the killing going and pulls things closer together which just makes the Fire Burst AoE more efficient. I also like the speed because I like to trigger spells that can travel a distance to deal with pesky ranged attackers (they're usually not threatening to us if they're not uniques or bosses, but they do tend to be annoyingly clump-proof and will just stand well outside the range of novas and BV) without having to wait for the benefits of the leech+ignite+possible bursts, or be denied them entirely due to the mobs being outside the range of everything (but note that things like Bladefall hit at range in an area, as does Fire Storm, both of which are pretty standard spells to put into our CWDTs; arc can just continue outside of their area to hit stuff that's refusing to gather together).

As Tomay has often said: it's hard to fuck the build up, and most any combination of spells that suits you will work out with a few exceptions. For example, molten shell is tempting, as it does hit hard at high levels, but it's hard to guarantee it'll explode before it's recast, which would render it into nothing more than a non-damaging armor buff. To trigger it consistently we'd basically need to go non-AoF and run physical reflect maps, and/or wear a rat cage (and maybe run ele reflect maps), and/or focus more heavily on using Heartbound Loops and skeletons.

As long as you've got a high and a low level spell that can hit targets at range, you can probably socket whatever else you want (long as you avoid duplicates) and do fine. Though for lag considerations, things like Vortex are extremely laggy--to avoid lag look for spells that are as minimalist as possible in their graphical intensity and their persistence. Fire Storm having a duration is what makes it laggy; Vortex fails both checks; arc passes both considerations.

But the guiding principle of the build is that Fire Burst is the Lion's Share of the DPS, so prioritize everything else around generating as many hits per second as you possibly can in the situations you are going to be in. So look first at spells you expect will abide by this (vortex partially fails this, as well, as it hits an area on the initial cast, which is good, but then leaves behind a laggy DoT effect on the ground which therefore does nothing for us damage-wise).
Last edited by TimeDilation on Jan 3, 2017, 11:36:52 PM
"
"
tomay wrote:
And craft % Armour/Evasion on your gloves and make 'em 20q, every little helps. ;)

On the the helmet craft STR (or DEX).

Can't craft any more attributes on the helm but the str/eva on gloves was successful. I have a question though, is there any other auras/curses that would benefit this build other and AA?

Flammability and Elemental Weakness are both great for increasing your damage, and Enfeeble and Warlord's Mark are great for increasing your survivability, aka resistance to one-shots and severe DoTs. Both constitute mitigation, and in simple situations Enfeeble wins out but in complex situations such as hexwarded maps or against bosses (which have a punishing 60% less curse effect) you might be better off with the Endurance charges as long as you've got enough mooks to generate them from, as nothing nerfs the mitigation from those. Even Poacher's Mark could be nice for generating frenzy charges and flask charges (though the mana/life on hit are pretty useless, as those only apply to attacks, and our only attack by default is Whirling Blades, and we don't much care about their evasion rating, though it would make maintaining fortify a little easier).

And Anger aura is just more (fire) damage to everything we do.

But keep in mind that it's hard for us to run a main skill if you reserve more than about 60% of your mana. I run a curse aura and AA constantly, and that's 60%, and I can only manually cast my BV up to 8 stacks before I run out of MP and have to rely on either mana regen or mana leech (from ascendancy) to keep me going. The leech is usually plenty, and I can get max stacks whenever things can live long enough for that to matter without issue, but in no regen maps I occasionally find myself having whirl'd into a group of mobs with no BV stacks and no mana.
Last edited by TimeDilation on Jan 3, 2017, 11:33:41 PM
"
TimeDilation wrote:
"
"
tomay wrote:
And craft % Armour/Evasion on your gloves and make 'em 20q, every little helps. ;)

On the the helmet craft STR (or DEX).

Can't craft any more attributes on the helm but the str/eva on gloves was successful. I have a question though, is there any other auras/curses that would benefit this build other and AA?

Flammability and Elemental Weakness are both great for increasing your damage, and Enfeeble and Warlord's Mark are great for increasing your survivability, aka resistance to one-shots and severe DoTs. Both constitute mitigation, and in simple situations Enfeeble wins out but in complex situations such as hexwarded maps or against bosses (which have a punishing 60% less curse effect) you might be better off with the Endurance charges as long as you've got enough mooks to generate them from, as nothing nerfs the mitigation from those. Even Poacher's Mark could be nice for generating frenzy charges and flask charges (though the mana/life on hit are pretty useless, as those only apply to attacks, and our only attack by default is Whirling Blades, and we don't much care about their evasion rating, though it would make maintaining fortify a little easier).

And Anger aura is just more (fire) damage to everything we do.

But keep in mind that it's hard for us to run a main skill if you reserve more than about 60% of your mana. I run a curse aura and AA constantly, and that's 60%, and I can only manually cast my BV up to 8 stacks before I run out of MP and have to rely on either mana regen or mana leech (from ascendancy) to keep me going. The leech is usually plenty, and I can get max stacks whenever things can live long enough for that to matter without issue, but in no regen maps I occasionally find myself having whirl'd into a group of mobs with no BV stacks and no mana.

Where would you link Blasphemy and the curse along with AA?
Loving this build too!

A few more levels and i'll have the skill tree finished. My health is a bit short right now at 6.3k with a 5L Belly, but I know I can upgrade a few items / jewels, when the currency comes in and fix that up a bit. I'm fairly new to poe, so still learning how to make bank!

Could someone have a quick look over my gear (Smudge_AFK) and see if i'm making any obvious mistakes that I could cheaply rectify?

Thanks, Matt

Did all breachlords but Chayula. Uul-Netol layout is bitch and I did filed it once because of it.

Does anyone knows if Chayula is doable with this build? I'll miss those 150 chaos for Chayula stone if I fail it.

"
Where would you link Blasphemy and the curse along with AA?

In the gloves. I don't use it for a CWDT. It's AA+Blasphemy+Curse of preference (flammability in my case)+whatever. Whatever in my case being a (flame) golem.
Have you considered Brass Dome as a chest piece? When I ripped with this build in essence HC I was high 80s and I tried Minotaur in standard for fun. I face tanked him for a long time right up until I got crit which one shot me, so I immediately thought of Brass Dome to fix this. Would it be a viable alternative or would it not be worth the health loss compared to Belly of the Beast?
The Brass Dome is arguably the best body armour for this build in very late-game scenarios (i.e. when you level is high enough to reach a health pool of around 7.5k without life on chest) but getting five off-colours on this baby (or even six for my preferred gem setup) is a real b*tch. ;)
Last edited by tomay on Jan 4, 2017, 7:05:47 AM
"
I have a question though, is there any other auras/curses that would benefit this build other and AA?

Well, you can use a Purity of choice according to the boss you encounter if you're too lazy for flasks (I use PoF in reflect maps).

If you have extra Endu Charges (from tree or items) you can use Warlord's Mark.

Enfeeble to weaken the real hard hitters.

Dual curse is possible if you're willing to sacrifice life in the skill tree (Whispers of Doom) or on boots (Windscream).

Blasphemy plus curse(s) of your choice is an option... at the expense of one of our precious spells (the less we hit/ignite the less we heal and "fireburst") and quite a lot of mana. After AA, Purity, and Blasphemy we'll be left with only 7% mana and things can get a bit dicey if we're out of gas. I'd rather cast high-level Flammability or Enfeeble manually where required. It's not that this build presents a challenge in terms of skills we need to cast. ;)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info