Make POE multi Player again

"
Partying stopped being a significant source of fun when they added permanent allocation and everyone started using it by default.

Untrue. On the contrary, adding Permanent Allocation helped partying.
I'm confused because dudes who make top of the ladder always team up. Very few solo players can do it.
S L O W E R
"
ampdecay wrote:
I'm confused because dudes who make top of the ladder always team up. Very few solo players can do it.

they do so by abusing some of few reasons to group. pooling maps spreading costs of mod rolling and taking advantage of otherwise unnecessary support classes ... like guardian and necromancer aura buffs.

that doesnt mean grouping is rewarding or fun in most cases.

also keep in mind those groups are highly coordinated and represent the very best of what grouping can be. it only rolls downhill from them. and it is a long way to the bottom
"
Partying stopped being a significant source of fun when they added permanent allocation and everyone started using it by default.

I have to say, the best, most memorable times I ever had in d2 where 8 player public games. Everyone was scrambling for loot and survival. (especially early HC ladders) Granted, it always seemed like the good stuff went to someone else, it was still a blast, and I could never get enough of it. Those rare times when you did actually snag something good, it was exhilarating! Really no way to describe it unless you experience it - I find this feeling entirely lacking in PoE when something good falls. ‘oh joy, I can sell that for 2c later’…

IMO this is how d2 kept replay value going strong for years without adding any content at all.

Sadly, I just wish there was a reason for public games to exist at all, let alone a reason to use FFA/SA looting! As it stands, there is almost ZERO incentive to even play with guild mates. I remember in D2 it was imperative to stay in a full party if you wanted to level up and keep in the top 1000 - anytime my friends were on the first thing we would do is organize a group and if we didn't have 8 people we made it a public game to keep it full.

If you have maps the only reason to open the game up and make it public is if you are a) too weak b) feeling lonely or c) you really want a headache trying to deal with others who don't listen to the leader (that changes and cant be passed back every time he gets disconnected), run ahead and kill bosses, clear in random order, use COC combos that kill everyone's FPS, cull before the culler can kill anything, sitting in a HO AFK, or just waste portals for no reason, etc. x 1000. With the current 'power creep' meta nobody is too weak. (further removing the need for teamwork even if you do get a group) obviously nobody wants headaches, and how fucking pathetic are we when the only reason to play with other people in an ONLINE ONLY GAME is to show off your MTX's?

I have thought about this problem quite a bit, and I have no suggestions how to fix it without directly borrowing d2's group dynamics of 'heavily incentivizing XP in large/full groups and removing the weak loot 'options' - or at least give a stated bonus for using FFA. And ultimately if they did that - to balance it, they would also need to allow a hostility button and allow the threat of PK'ers. (in d2 this was a huge added danger to parties, and really helped keep people on their toes - I saw more RIP's to them then PvE) It would make for one hell of a temp league maybe??
Last edited by Zee on Jul 28, 2016, 12:49:10 PM
OP has a point.

Parties seem unnecessary in most situations except XP farming (aka gorge runs...). And the fps drops to a fraction and sometimes unplayable lows if u play on an average computer.
"
Zee wrote:
"

I have to say, the best, most memorable times I ever had in d2 where 8 player public games. Everyone was scrambling for loot and survival. (especially early HC ladders) Granted, it always seemed like the good stuff went to someone else, it was still a blast, and I could never get enough of it. Those rare times when you did actually snag something good, it was exhilarating! Really no way to describe it unless you experience it - I find this feeling entirely lacking in PoE when something good falls. ‘oh joy, I can sell that for 2c later’…

IMO this is how d2 kept replay value going strong for years without adding any content at all.

Sadly, I just wish there was a reason for public games to exist at all, let alone a reason to use FFA/SA looting! As it stands, there is almost ZERO incentive to even play with guild mates. I remember in D2 it was imperative to stay in a full party if you wanted to level up and keep in the top 1000 - anytime my friends were on the first thing we would do is organize a group and if we didn't have 8 people we made it a public game to keep it full.

If you have maps the only reason to open the game up and make it public is if you are a) too weak b) feeling lonely or c) you really want a headache trying to deal with others who don't listen to the leader (that changes and cant be passed back every time he gets disconnected), run ahead and kill bosses, clear in random order, use COC combos that kill everyone's FPS, cull before the culler can kill anything, sitting in a HO AFK, or just waste portals for no reason, etc. x 1000. With the current 'power creep' meta nobody is too weak. (further removing the need for teamwork even if you do get a group) obviously nobody wants headaches, and how fucking pathetic are we when the only reason to play with other people in an ONLINE ONLY GAME is to show off your MTX's?

I have thought about this problem quite a bit, and I have no suggestions how to fix it without directly borrowing d2's group dynamics of 'heavily incentivizing XP in large/full groups and removing the weak loot 'options' - or at least give a stated bonus for using FFA. And ultimately if they did that - to balance it, they would also need to allow a hostility button and allow the threat of PK'ers. (in d2 this was a huge added danger to parties, and really helped keep people on their toes - I saw more RIP's to them then PvE) It would make for one hell of a temp league maybe??

I too remember the Diablo, Diablo 2, Diablo 2 LOD days of leveling. Its nice to have ladder races and be able to group. Hell people even grouped for XP runs be it cow levels, Diablo, or Baals.

Being able to hostile people at will was amazingly fun. Sadly with the instance system we cant really effectively murder people while bored.

For me personally new content is pretty meh, its not really needed per say just expected by the community. Every time new content comes into play everyone/build seems to get strong as heck! At some point their should be a balance of offensive and defensive rolls and needed support rolls to clear content. Its boring soloing maps endlessly until you die (for me). (woo thank god) then get to re-roll whatever META with your currency.

Not sure if more rewards are the way to go. People get pissed if it takes to long to level since most builds need 70+ to go into fully and even then you may not yet have the gear. So when its all said and done your level 84, with meh gear, playing a mindless build you hate, and waiting to rip so you can make that streamer meta build and get rich quick.

Take a tip from D2 LOD and make all items with sockets worth something (RUNEWORDS. BAM!

"
Partying stopped started being a significant source of fun when they added permanent allocation and everyone started using it by default.

ftf.

Also, why partying is ded? Well, try searching for a party... Before the plague of all those idiots posting trades in public boards, I was partying quite a lot. People aren't even using them anymore, because all you can find there are scammy trades.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
mark1030 wrote:
Perandus was not party friendly. Prophecy is even worse for parties. The added content like Cadiro and prophecies are much better solo. They need to up the droprate of silver coins by number of people in the party. It's stupid that 1 coin drops in a 6 player map.

Well prophecies in party could be fun. The problem is that the endgame possibility to play in party are only 2: uberlab and maps. There are not much prophecies that triggers in maps, and no prophecies at all for uberlab that can make the game a bit impredictable with added rewarding (and for the lab we have to say that there is no reason to do full clear in a zone, unless you have to find argus or the silver chest/key).

They need to add new interesting prophecies for uberlab and maps, and increasing the slot of maximum prophecies avaible: i think 7 is too low, considering that silver coin drops very often: they could make the game harder by letting you the "choice" of having a lot of prophecies up that can trigger in the same area, and this probably in the long term would feel even more rewarding compared to what is now.

But the main problem of playing in party is, of course, the bad performance that the game has. Hopefully this could get a good fix in 2.4 and the next expansions.
Last edited by Serge91 on Jul 29, 2016, 2:52:17 AM
didnt even knew poe has multiplayer mode.

100% solo the game is the only reasonable way to go.
YES I support the game, NO I don't agree with many GGG decisions

Lab still sucks balls.

I miss Zana already.
"
Serge91 wrote:
"
mark1030 wrote:
Perandus was not party friendly. Prophecy is even worse for parties. The added content like Cadiro and prophecies are much better solo. They need to up the droprate of silver coins by number of people in the party. It's stupid that 1 coin drops in a 6 player map.

Well prophecies in party could be fun. The problem is that the endgame possibility to play in party are only 2: uberlab and maps. There are not much prophecies that triggers in maps, and no prophecies at all for uberlab that can make the game a bit impredictable with added rewarding (and for the lab we have to say that there is no reason to do full clear in a zone, unless you have to find argus or the silver chest/key).

They need to add new interesting prophecies for uberlab and maps, and increasing the slot of maximum prophecies avaible: i think 7 is too low, considering that silver coin drops very often: they could make the game harder by letting you the "choice" of having a lot of prophecies up that can trigger in the same area, and this probably in the long term would feel even more rewarding compared to what is now.

But the main problem of playing in party is, of course, the bad performance that the game has. Hopefully this could get a good fix in 2.4 and the next expansions.

Facts. I guess we shall just have to wait and see... based on the current lag I wouldn't imagine the engine cleaning up anytime soon.

@other guy

You can party sure. But theres no reason to since the games not very challenging in one player mode. Better to steam roll everything and keep all the drops then have to share.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info