Mechanical Questions Thread

"
LostXray wrote:
So ive been playing for a few years now and in the past when socketing and fusing it has always stoped at max. ive noticed recently that when socketing it still stops at 4 or 6. but now when fusing it rolls past the max; atleast with 4. Is this some kind of new rolling thing or what cuz i wasted alot of fusings due to this. Ive never had this issue just only recently in the past 2 weeks or so. any ideas would be awesome.

This has, in practical terms, always been the case. It was for maybe half a day true that four-links could not be rerolled.
A quick question about the interaction of slowing effects:

In patch 2.1.0c this statement is listed: "A cap of 75% now applies to the action speed reduction caused by Temporal Chains..."

First -- I assume it does but I ask for completeness -- does this 75% apply to all slowing effects?

Second, of the slowing effects that stack:

Chill: 30% slow
Hinder: 25% slow (Arbitrary; realistic number)
Temporal Chains: 29% slow (Level 20/0% quality)

Are these effects ADDITIVE or MULTIPLICATIVE?

In other words does the above example result in enemies being slowed by:
30%+25%+29%=84% --> capped at 75% slow?
OR
1-(1-30%)*(1-25%)*(1-29%)=62.7% slow?
Thanks in advance!
If I ignite with explosive arrow, besides the more damage on hit; Does Less Duration affect the burning damage ie Does it double dip?
"
PDONZ wrote:
A quick question about the interaction of slowing effects:

In patch 2.1.0c this statement is listed: "A cap of 75% now applies to the action speed reduction caused by Temporal Chains..."

First -- I assume it does but I ask for completeness -- does this 75% apply to all slowing effects?

Second, of the slowing effects that stack:

Chill: 30% slow
Hinder: 25% slow (Arbitrary; realistic number)
Temporal Chains: 29% slow (Level 20/0% quality)

Are these effects ADDITIVE or MULTIPLICATIVE?

In other words does the above example result in enemies being slowed by:
30%+25%+29%=84% --> capped at 75% slow?
OR
1-(1-30%)*(1-25%)*(1-29%)=62.7% slow?
Thanks in advance!

I have read a few days ago, on a forum post, that Temporal Chains is not stacking with other Slowing effects (not sure about movement like Hinder) but they said Chill doesn't stack with it anymore, so the maximum slow you can possibly reach is:

4L 20%TChains21+Empower4+Enhance5+20%Blasphemy+DyingBreath+AnimatedDyingBreath = 75.40% Slow

And I believe that they are Additive, since my cheaply builded Arctic Breath + TempChains summoner from 2 years ago used to make bosses attack/cast ridiculously slow.

I can be wrong on both statements tho, so I would really like a 2nd opinion on this, specially because I'm building a curse based Summoner on hardcore again and I've been searching everywhere for this info.

I hope I have helped.
Last edited by DBawss on Jul 18, 2016, 1:09:06 AM
"
If I ignite with explosive arrow, besides the more damage on hit; Does Less Duration affect the burning damage ie Does it double dip?

Yes

I am 99% sure
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
anyone know why veteran bowyer ascendancy node from pathfinder shows me firedmg on my tooltip eventhough its random with every attack?
Every Class 100
Discord Alex22#8812 if u cant catch me online in Poe
"
Visca wrote:
When you cast a single firestorm and deal 3 hits to the monsters A and B...
-If you crit, you crit A & B (no assassin's mark).

This is both backwards and incomplete.
If you critically strike either A or B, then you count as having crit with the skill (not the other way around). The crit roll being the same for the whole skill means that if your chance to crit against both A and B is the same, you'll crit both or niether, but Assassin's Mark is not the only thing that could cause such a difference. Any conditional or enemy-specific crit chance modifier could do this.
"
Visca wrote:
If A is cursed with Assassin's mark, one possible outcome is that A recives a crit and B doesn't.
Yes. In this case, you still count as having crit with the skill.
"
Visca wrote:
If you crit, you wear Voll's protector, you get 6 power charges.
Yes.
"
Visca wrote:
If you crit, you support firestorm with power charge on crit level 1, you have 35% chance to get a power charge.
If you crit, you support firestorm with power charge on crit level 1, you have 92.4% chance to get a power charge (because the chance to roll for a power charge is different in each hit. But with a maximum of 1 because PCOC is limited to 1 charge per cast).
Each critical strike you get has a 35% chance to generate a power charge, but you can't gain more than one. In theory this should be a 35% chance to gain a charge if you get a crit (i.e. if you get at least one critical strike on A or B), but if you fail that roll, the skill doesn't know it tried, so will re-roll on each subsequent hit - the knowledge that you've already tried to gain a power charge for the crit is only possible if you have the charge. So it will currently keep rolling on each hit.
"
Visca wrote:
If you don't crit, and you have Unstable Infusion, A receives 3 hits, B receives 3 hits, you have 10% chance to gain a power charge.
-If you don't crit, and you have Unstable Infusion, A receives 3 hits, B receives 3 hits, you have 46.8% chance to gain a power charge (because the chance to roll for a power charge is different in each hit).
As above.
"
Visca wrote:
If you don't crit, you support firestorm with elemental proliferation (0% quality), and you have 15% chance to ignite, A receives 3 hits, B receives 3 hits, you have 15% chance to ignite the pack (and elemental proliferation is pretty much useless).
-If you don't crit, you support firestorm with elemental proliferation (0% quality), and you have 15% chance to ignite, A receives 3 hits, B receives 3 hits, you have 62.3% chance to ignite the pack (because the chance to roll for ignite is different in each hit).
Each hit has a 15% chance to ignite the monster being hit. That ignite will be based on that hit, and will proliferate to other enemies within a small radius. It's highly unlikely that one ignite will hit an entire pack unless you've gone to effort to compact them in, and even if it can, elemental proliferation is still not useless, as every hit proliferates, and since the strongest ignite applies, more individual hits igniting means some will roll more fire damage, and thus a stronger ignite, than others. Igniting each monster individually without proliferation is less good than igniting each monster idividually with proliferation, because if one of them rolls high, all of the enemies wi proliferation range take that higher damage.
"
Visca wrote:
If you crit, and you have a surgeon flask, A receives 3 hits, B receives 3 hits, you have 20% chance to get a flask charge for 1 cast (doesn't matter the amount of hits or enemies).
-If you crit, and you have a surgeon flask, A receives 3 hits, B receives 3 hits, you have 20% chance to get a flask charge for each enemy (doesn't matter the amount of hits, but you can get up to 2 flask charges). (I think this is wrong, but to have it covered...)
-If you crit, and you have a surgeon flask, A receives 3 hits, B receives 3 hits, you have 73.8% chance to get a flask charge (the chance to get a flask charge is calculated on each of the 6 hits, but you get a max of 1 charge).
-If you crit, and you have a surgeon flask, A receives 3 hits, B receives 3 hits, you have a 20% chance to get a flask charge for every hit (a minimum of 0 and a max of 6).
Each hit has it's own chance, but you'll only be able to get one, just like the charges.
"
Visca wrote:
Is the Romira's Banquet and Herald of Thunder incompatibility intended? (because it is, right? was hard to test, I tested without increased critical strikes supports too).
They are not incompatable. However, Herald of Thunder has the same restriction as any normal skill that it can only gain one charge per skill use, so once you've got that one charge, you'd need to refresh the Herald to get another. This is likely to be changed in a future patch.
"
Visca wrote:
When Herald of Thunder + increased critical strikes crits, does it crit for all the bolts it launches on his duration (6.0 seconds)?
Each bolt has it's own crit roll. They are independant.
"
Visca wrote:
Killing a shocked enemy while herald of thunder is active, augments the time it is active, start a "new" herald of thunder's "rain" (see previous question) or works as other status ailments (active the most powerful but when it expires the weak keeps working).
When you kill a shocked enemy, it creates a set of lightning bolts. This is not an effect on you or a status ailment. Each set of bolts is independant (and has it's own location).
"
Visca wrote:
Herald of Thunder + Increased Critical Strikes + Power charge on crit: How often will it roll for a power charge? every time a bolt falls? only once for the entire duration of the herald of thunder duration (and to be able to get another charge only when there is a moment without herald of thunder active)? Or basically just any of the prior iterations
Just like the above charge-gainging cases, it will roll on eahc time the event occurs, until you get the charge.
"
Visca wrote:
And what are the differences between Herald of Thunder and Blade vortex hits.
Most things. They are very different skills, and trying to list all the differences here is beyond the scope of this thread. I need to know what in particular you want to know about the functionality of the skills.
"
Visca wrote:
Is the Vaal Righteous Fire and Spell Totem incompatibility intended or not?
Yes. Vaal Righteous Fire cannot be totemified. It's fundamental to the design of the skill that it's drawback apply to the player.
"
Visca wrote:
Does a Jewel socket on the tree count as a passive node?
Technically, yes. I'm not aware of any way in which this could matter.
"
Visca wrote:
If traps can hit, why curse on hit won't work with them?
Because the skill you used that was linked to Curse on Hit and a Curse threw a trap but never hit anything, and the skill the trap was the trap's only skill, and had no curses to apply. Traps do not have sockets. when you trappify a skill, you're changing that skill to create a trap that will have only that skill, and none of your other ones.
"
Visca wrote:
What category of items are jewels and flasks if they're not "equipable items"?
Outside of their item classes, which are just jewels and flasks, they're items. There isn't any other category.
"
Visca wrote:
Righteous fire + Hypotermia. Why doesn't work?
As discussed previously in the thread, conditional modifiers to damage can't apply to damage over time.
"
AlsoD wrote:
I've seen multiple people reporting that Blast Rain can't miss. Is that the case? If so is this a bug or working as intended (due to the explosions being secondary damage or something?).
As mentioned previously in the thread, Blast Rain was bugged and incorrectly checking spell dodge rather than regular evasion+dodge.
"
AlsoD wrote:
How does that affect crit confirmation rolls?
Not at all. The bug only applied to the initial hit check.
"
AlsoD wrote:
How does the "attacks can't miss" mod affect crit confirmation rolls?
There is no "attacks can't miss" mod. There's a "hits can't be evaded" mod, and it means evasion does nothing against those hits, including when confirming the crit.
"
What is the base (average) range of a ethereal knives projectile (with no increased/reduced projectile speed)?
The projectiles move at an average speed of close to 120 units/s for roughly 0.25 seconds of travel before they stop colliding with things, putting their effective range at somewhere around 30ish units. Then inherently have a variation of +/-40% base speed, but the average will be around 30.
"
What is the base (average) range of a freezing pulse projectile?
Similar calculation of around 165ish speed and 0.375s travel time suggests 60ish units.
"
Is there any rule of thumb what's the actual range of 'nearby enemies'?
No. "Nearby" is specifically (and only) meant to indicate that there is a range on an effect, not anything about what that range is.
"
What is the range of the singularity platinum sceptre?
25 units.
"
Assume I equip drillneck and hit a monster which is cursed with projectile weakness with a spark/ethereal knives/.. projectile linked to the pierce gem such that I have 100% chance to pierce. How much increased projectile damage bonus is applied?
100%. Pierce chance can never be more than 100%.
"
If a monster is effected by poison damage over some time and suffers additional damage due to a curse (projectile weakness/vulnerability/..). Does this change immediately when the curse ends?
Yes.
"
Jfr0st wrote:
if I use an item like 'Cospri's Will' or 'Voidheart' to cauze poison on hit, and link any melee attack skill with Void Manipulation, will Void Manipulation inrease the damage of the poison dot?
Yes.
"
menhowca wrote:
Does herald of ice secondary effect work when the monster is shattered with spells cast through remote mine?
No. You haev the Herald buff, but didn't shatter the enemy, and the mine did shatter the enemy, but does not have the Herald buff.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
This post needs a better format. There's no way to filter out all the noise. Noise is inappropriate questions. Noise is incorrect answers.
Ed: This post is noise too
There's a valid concern here, but I'm fine filtering out such "noise" manually, and not including it in my responses (with this exception, because this is worth discussing). I've updated the OP to include a link to the thread filtered to just my posts, so people can just get answers (with their associated questions) that way.
There may be more on the way to help people sort through and find the answers they're interested in, but I can't say anything for sure yet.
"
psyzero wrote:
1) Does the Gladiator Outlast and Outmatch endurance charge gain trigger on shield themed abilties? Reckoning and shield charge are the only two I can think of at the moment. Or do those count as dealing damage with your actual weapon?
Those skills are both attacks, which are performed with your weapons.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Spoiler
2.5Mb gif here.
Character (using Voll's Protector, Commandment of Frost enchantment on gloves) perform default attack on undamaged low level mob, rolls crit, do damage equal or higher than 90% mob's life pool (crit strikes have culling strike), kills the mob, triggers 'on kill' enchantment and getting 2 power charges.

Where is 2nd power charge comes from?
Definitely it's Commandment of Frost crit (there were no other mobs around)

Does it mean 'dead' mobs leave targetable 'body' for some time after death, before 'body hit the floor'?
Not for any time, no, but Commandment Of Frost happens during the killing hit - as an on-kill triggered effect, it is part of the process of the monster dying, so the monster hasn't finished dying when the enchantment skill hits it again.
This is on the list to improve long-term, but since it's rare and doesn't cause any real problems, is fairly low priority.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
How does Commandment of Winter work?
Unleashes a traveling icy projectile that pulses with cold
Is it the same mechanic as Ball Lightning?
No. Ball Lightning does no pulse, it sends bolts of lightning at specific targets independantly. The "of Winter" skills have a projectile that periodically deals area damage around it as it travels. This is the same mechanic as the pulsing projectiles used by the "Maelstom" monsters.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
What is travel distance limit
The skill does not have an specific limit. Projectiles are limited to 150 units by the game, though.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
pulse period
0.2 seconds
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
projectile hitbox size
2 units radius, although this is only relevant for terrain, since the projectile always pierces.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
base projectile speed
Roughly 30ish units per second.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
base min-max damage, pierce chance
This information is available from looking at the skill popup in game.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
pvp penalty T constant?
It doesn't override this value.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
How far from the character Spectral Throw projectiles are created (in units)? Is it based on weapon range like Molten Strike projectiles?
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
projectile spells, how far from the character projectiles are created? is there some default constant for the spells or each spell got it own 'projectile spawnpoint' distance based on the spell cast animation?
All projectiles originate from the edge of the player object, roughly 3 units from the player's centre (but varying with angle, as units measurements can only be integer, so rounding occurs).
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
What is Spectral Throw projectile hitbox size (1x3, 2x5 units or so), how does it affected by weapon type?
All projectiles (and other game entities) are squares, defined by a radius (the squares are circles defined by using manhatten distance). Spectral Throw's radius is half of the weapon's base range (rounded down).
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Singularity Platinum Sceptre
Can it be increased with modifiers to AoE from the character tree or gear?
No. The aura is a property of the item, not your character.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Lets say character has 1 maximum Energy Shield, 10% ES regen per second and can't recharge energy shied (at all) will it regenerate full (1) ES over 10 seconds
Yes
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Lets say character has 1 maximum Energy Shield and 20% Energy Shield Recharge per second,
will it recharge 1 ES over 5 seconds after es recharge delay expired
Yes
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
"Immune to Elemental Status Ailments during Flask Effect"
If ailment was applied before flask has been used will ailment effect exist during flask effect duration?
Yes, currently.
So, basically is it possible to be ignited or shocked before and take burn damage over time or extra damage from the shock while having Elemental Status Ailments immunity? Does that immunity mean immunity to 'on hit effect' only?[/quote]Yes, currently.

We are currently changing descriptions to better distinguish between granting "immunity to X" and "cannot be affected by X" (shortened to "cannot be Xed" where applicable). Once this change is finished and made live (currently planned as part of 2.4.0, but that could change), gaining immunity to something will remove instances of that thing, in addition to preventing new instances, while "cannot be affected by" will prevent new effects applying, but not remove existing ones. You'll see this in patch notes when it makes it to live.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Which order used to apply on hit effects, specially Bleed, Poison, Maim?
Arbitrary and with no mechanical consequence.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Is it possible to apply Bleed, Poison and Maim by a single 'lucky' hit if Noxious Strike (assassin) node is allocated?
Yes, but only if the enemy was already bleeding and poisoned. Noxious Strike cannot apply poison unless you hit a bleeding enemy. If you hit a non-bleeding enemy, and caused them to bleed, you still hit a non-bleeding enemy.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Is it possible to apply Poison (via Poison Support) and Maim with single hit vs not (previously) poisoned target if Noxious Strike (assassin) node is allocated?
See above.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
How does Remote Mine pick a direction to cast linked Frost Wall if there is no target in the Mine Detonation Radius? is it random
Yes, it's random.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
What is base Trap Trigger Radius, Mine Detonate Radius?
10 and 60 respectively.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Cyclone 'minimum travel distance' value?
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Beacon of Corruption (necromancer's node) poison cloud base radius?
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Minion Instability explosion base radius?
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Does Reflected Physical Damage dealt by the character (on block while The Anvil equipped) can be increased by global or global physical damage?
Reflected damage cannot be affected by damage modifiers.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Can Reflected Physical Damage be blocked/dodged?
Yes, if the triggering damage was dodgeable/blockable.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
does it affected by pvp damage reduction?
Yes.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Enemies you Curse have -15% Chaos Resistance
Does it stack if more than one curse applied?
No. There is one modifier, with a value of -15%, that applies to one set of things - enemies you've cursed. Something either is an enemy you've cursed or is not.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
How does Rapid Assault (20% chance to get Onslaught for 3 seconds on Kill) and Graceful Assault (10% chance to get Onslaught for 3 seconds on Kill) nodes interact? is it separate 20% and 10% chance or single 30% roll?
They are providing the same thing - you get a total 30% chance.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
What formula used to calculate Bear Trap immobilization effect duration?
Base duration is 150ms per % of enemy max life dealt as damage, to a maximum of 1/3 of max life.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Blast Rain
Fires an arrow up in the air, which splits and rains down in a series of explosions over an area. The explosions will always overlap on the targeted area
What is the blast base radius?
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Is it possible for Blasts to overlap exactly?
Yes
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
What is overlap area minimum size?
Technically, the exact targeted location. If you're not reducing the radius of the Blasts, then a 3-unit circle around that location.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Is Blast Rain animation always match actual 'blast' position?
Yes
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
How long does the knockback action take? if it moves character on 4 units, does it take into account character's movement speed or 'knockback speed' is a sort of constant?
Knockback speed is constant, and is 37.5 units/s.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
does knockback 'animation duration' affected by the Temporal Chains? Hinder? Maim?
Knockback does not involve any animations at all. In addition, Hinder and Maim only affect movement speed, they are not slow effects like Temporal Chains.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
If bleeding character takes 100 physical damage over time per second while stand still and 600 physical damage over time per second while moving, how much damage the character will take over 3 second if it will be knocked back 3 times during that period?
This can be worked out from the above info for a "perfect" case if you want, but in practice will vary because things have to be placed at an integer position, so angles change how far exactly things actually move (And thus how long they're moving for, since speed is constant).
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
How much damage character takes per movement skill use while affected by Endless Hazard?
20% of life + 12% of ES (if ES is protecting life)
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Can the damage be reduced/increased/mitigated/avoided?
It can be mitigated, but not avoided.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
What is the damage type?
Physical.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
What T value used to calculate Vortex cold damage over time pvp reduction?
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
User-side it looks like if slow or 'long life' projectile was created outside of 'some' range from the character the projectile 'become invisible'.
What circumstances could cause hostile projectiles don't display on client?
Entities that are too far from any player are "asleep" and take no actions. Entities that are outside this sleep range of your player specifically, do not exist on your client (but may still be awake if in range of a different player. The exception to this is other players, who are always awake. If another player fires a projectile while outside your sleep range, it may not be able to create the projectile on your client.
This is unlikely to cause any actual mechanical effect, due to projectiles being unable to travel as far as the sleep range.
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Does Hypothermia Support grants additional damage on hit vs target affected by Chilled Ground?
Chilled ground applies Chill, so yes.
Thank you a lot for your answers.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
I need to know what in particular you want to know about the functionality of the skills.

Already clarified.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Visca wrote:
Does a Jewel socket on the tree count as a passive node?
Technically, yes. I'm not aware of any way in which this could matter.

Intuitive leap

I'm not sure if you didn't saw the questions because you only posted the answers when you got the whole page (taking several days), but i edited on my post some questions that weren't answered. Please don't take this as "insisting". It's just in case you overlooked them:

"
-While having Ancestral Bond Rigteous fire does damage to you and don't damage enemies, while the wording is EXACTLY the same but changing "Enemies" for "You". If it's not you who damage yourself, then neither it's you who damage the enemies, or if it's you then you can't damage anybody (because Ancestral Bond) and that includes you (of course the objective was to gain a 40% more spell damage buff).
-I'm not sure about this question (because somebody asked me to edit it here because he didn't want to wait until you get to page 70), but why doesn't work the combo: CWDT (level 2) + Molten Shell (level 11) on a +2 fire weapon. You can equip that Molten Shell on level 40, so the level requirement for that specific gem on that specific setup is level 40, regardless of it's gem level. Is it intended or a bug?

I learned a lot. Herald of thunder can't sustain pcoc for now, and a multi-hit skill like firestorm/ice storm/bladefall are good choices to replenish surgeon flask's.

Could someone tell me can skills/effects from glove enchantments crit? if so affected by global crit/spell crit? ty
"
Lordsidro wrote:
Could someone tell me can skills/effects from glove enchantments crit? if so affected by global crit/spell crit? ty

As far as I can tell, glove enchantments are spells or attacks, and affected by global or attack/spell-specific modifiers.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Jul 19, 2016, 10:13:52 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info