Mechanical Questions Thread

map IIQ is yet another more multiplier to the total quantity btw @nomnaut its not additive with either mob iiq or player iiq
"
Therealshotzz wrote:
I've been wondering how damage stacking interacts with the upcoming gem Spectral Shield Throw.

As always, the shrapnel is entirely separate from the initial projectile. They do not share anything.
I did some searching, and couldn't find a consensus answer to my question, so I'll ask it here.

Assuming the changes to the Chieftan ascendancy stay the same, my understanding is the new 50% phys-to-fire conversion, paired with Molten Strike/Burning Arrow (60%/50% phys-to-fire, respectively) will convert 100% physical damage to fire.

If all of the above is correct, does the 2% increased melee physical damage per 10 strength (and consequently to projectiles via Iron Grip) get applied before the conversion?

Additionally, how does the bonus damage from strength affect a weapon with little or no physical but high elemental damage? For instance, Martyr of Innocence or Oro's Sacrifice.

Thanks in advance!
Look, man. Video games are hard, okay?
Last edited by Peace_Frog on Feb 20, 2018, 9:55:55 AM
"
Peace_Frog wrote:
I did some searching, and couldn't find a consensus answer to my question, so I'll ask it here.

That's odd, answers should be fairly consistent.
"

Assuming the changes to the Chieftan ascendancy stay the same, my understanding is the new 50% phys-to-fire conversion, paired with Molten Strike/Burning Arrow (60%/50% phys-to-fire, respectively) will convert 100% physical damage to fire.

If all of the above is correct, does the 2% increased melee physical damage per 10 strength (and consequently to projectiles via Iron Grip) get applied before the conversion?

You can think of it as "before conversion" and that's an ok approximation. The way Conversion works is that it allows damage bonuses apply to any type a piece of damage has ever been, or what I call "conversion remembers." So even if you are dealing 100% fire damage, if it was 100% physical attack damage before conversion, then any increased physical damage you have such as from Strength will apply to the hit damage as if it were increased fire damage. You have to split into sub accounts if some of the damage was not originally physical.

"
Additionally, how does the bonus damage from strength affect a weapon with little or no physical but high elemental damage? For instance, Martyr of Innocence or Oro's Sacrifice.

Increased physical damage will then grant little or no bonus there. Using the rule of thumb I said before, "conversion remembers," little to no damage was originally physical, so little to no damage benefits from increased physical damage.

You can check the wiki page on damage conversion for different wording of the same explanation plus examples. Damage conversion scaling calculation hasn't changed since PoE's official release.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
adghar wrote:

You can check the wiki page on damage conversion for different wording of the same explanation plus examples. Damage conversion scaling calculation hasn't changed since PoE's official release.

I did read that page on the wiki several times, and for whatever reason it wasn't making sense in my head. Your explanation, however, made perfect sense, so thank you :)
Look, man. Video games are hard, okay?
In preparation for the 3.2 leagues I am currently theorycrafting a few
niche builds.
In order to utilize the new (fated) Deodre's Malevolence gloves, I came
up with a Dark Pact build that uses Kitava's Thirst to spawn Skeletons.
However, the Skeletons spawn close to the player character, instead of
near enemies. I found out that this is also the case with target area
spells (ie Storm Call) - but not for curses (which are also target area
effects). I wonder what's going on here and whether this behaviour is
intended.
"
In preparation for the 3.2 leagues I am currently theorycrafting a few
niche builds.
In order to utilize the new (fated) Deodre's Malevolence gloves, I came
up with a Dark Pact build that uses Kitava's Thirst to spawn Skeletons.
However, the Skeletons spawn close to the player character, instead of
near enemies. I found out that this is also the case with target area
spells (ie Storm Call) - but not for curses (which are also target area
effects). I wonder what's going on here and whether this behaviour is
intended.

From what I know from using Kitava's Thirst (in a totally different build) : the spells triggered by this helmet will always be cast on the nearest available target. In the case of a spell that is intended to be cast on an enemy, such as Cold Snap or a curse, it will target the nearest enemy. However, Summon Skeletons or Storm Call target a location, not an enemy, so the nearest available target is always your location. I encountered the same problem with Ice nova : I thought it would target my Frostbolts, but it can be cast on the character, so it would always trigger on me, regardless of the presence of a frostbolt projectile.
Last edited by Hyrtacus on Feb 21, 2018, 10:46:38 AM
Dear GGG, does the "if only nearby enemy" status works if I have a active golem walking around?

Because, well, to me golem is a allie. Or this "if only nearby enemy" can only be broken by being in party with other players?!

I was checking new Assassin changes and I'm kinda confused with this.

Thank!
My end, it justifies my means,
All I ever do is delay,
My every attempt to evade,
The end of the road
And my end....
"
Dear GGG, does the "if only nearby enemy" status works if I have a active golem walking around?

A golem, or a friendly player, isn't an enemy and shouldn't prevent you from getting the bonuses.

By the way, there already are some Pantheon powers with the same condition, you can easily check if they affect your character when you have a golem.
Last edited by Hyrtacus on Feb 21, 2018, 3:09:20 PM
"
imLuCaSsS wrote:

Because, well, to me golem is a allie. Or this "if only nearby enemy" can only be broken by being in party with other players?!

I was checking new Assassin changes and I'm kinda confused with this.

Thank!

Your minions and players in your party (and their minions) are not Enemies, they are Allies. Enemies are specifically entities that you can damage or that can damage you. (In the general sense, I am not talking about specific cases such as self-inflicted damage.)

Players (and other players' minions) are only considered enemies during PvP. Your own minions are never your enemies.

I have a related question though: is the Goddess of Justice considered an Enemy? If so, does that mean that you can never have "only one nearby enemy" in the Izaro encounter?

Are traps or mines that an enemy throws or places considered enemies?
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Feb 21, 2018, 5:52:08 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info