[2.6] The Curse Whisperer - Tri-Curse CI Whispering Ice Elementalist - Viable for Everything

I think these uniques would help a lot.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Heretic%27s_Veil
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Windscream

Mask gives nice ES + reduced mana reserve + blasphemy 22lvl
and boots +1 curse which makes out ring slot free and easier to cap resistances
Why do you wait until level 88 to get Unwavering Stance? Are stuns really not an issue before then?

Also, it seems to me like Avatar of Fire might not be worth taking until fairly high level. Mastermind of Dischord and Paragon of Calamity seem more important that Liege of the Primordial anyway, rare jewels are comparable to Izaro's Turmoil, and you can use Frost Bomb to lower enemy resistances for a pretty big damage multiplier. I can see how the damage conversion becomes worth it once you've got a lot of double dipping damage sources (multiple Turmoils, Snowforged, Liege), but earlier on it doesn't seem like the Fire Conversion gets you a whole lot, especially taking the possibility of Frost Bomb into account.

I guess ultimately, both of my questions combine to: What are your thoughts on taking Unwavering Stance earlier and taking Avatar of Fire and the various double-dipping damage buffs later? Is that just a slower but safer route, or is there a reason I'm missing that you recommend converting to fire early on and saving Unwavering Stance for such high levels?
"
Inferius90 wrote:

Those were both discussed earlier in the thread. It basically came down to:

Windscream costs you a lot of movement speed and ES, and he thought you're better off with rare boots and Doedre's Damning for the third curse.

Heretic's Veil isn't worth the massive amount of int you sacrifice by not using Black Sun Crest.
"
Inferius90 wrote:
If we are converting all cold damage into fire do we still need cold damage in tree/jewels?

And why not use Pyre Ring?
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Pyre

Both 'before' and 'after' damage type works with converted damage. That's the beauty of it. Double-dipping.

Pyre - see page 1.

"
Slowdice2 wrote:
As far as I understand in harder fights we should always cast an Orb of Storm. Can't we link the Curse on Hit with Orb of Storm and skip the CwDT / CoH Setup?

For boss fights you can indeed link OoS - CoH - curses, and save 1 socket. However, it will make you less secure while clearing high tier maps with tough mods. CWDT - Ball automatically neutralizes everything that tries to hit you. Manually casting Orb and waiting for it to zap may let multiple mobs hit you while you are doing all that, and it won't affect ranged attackers. You can try this and see if you like it better. But I prefer safety for now.

"
Tzarbite wrote:
Hey guys, anyone have any experience with uber izaro yet? I'm pretty slow this league so it'll probably take me a while to even get there, but I'm a little worried about how hard uber izaro hits (especially if buffed for keys) vs. the only mitigation I usually run on CI whispeing ice, which is enfeeble and sometimes fortify. I'm not too worried about one-shots, but it's usually when I can't leech fast enough which is the problem. Thanks for your time!

I've done the uber lab on my Scion, will do on the Witch too, but it's gonna be the same. The Lab areas themselves are EASIER now because many mechanical traps have been replaced with the new area traps, and those are trivial for us - just cast Icestorm on them. Uber Izaro is nothing special. He hits harder than Merc, but not hard enough to worry about, and he has more Life. He's just as trivial as Merc Izaro.

Izaro has exactly 1 trick that can trouble this build: in the final fight he glows with a green circle around him and 3 sec later teleports you onto a random trap if you are in his circle. Get away from him when you see the circle, and leap back onto him when it's gone (if he's still alive).

Added Izaro to the boss section of the Q&A post.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Jun 10, 2016, 8:06:09 PM
"
Inferius90 wrote:

Heretic's Veil has been discussed in the Scion thread. It's still not enough to reserve enough mana for even 2 curse auras, let alone 3. And freeing up just a tiny bit of mana on the WM aura is absolutely not worth losing the massive benefits of Black Sun. Also, Blasphemy without quality is not very good. Various tri-curse builds that use Heretic's Veil ignore that mod and put a 20q Blasphemy gem into it together with the curses.

Windscream has crappy movement speed, crappy resists, no ES and no Int. It's been considered when the Scion version was adapted to 3 curses, and I decided that replacing one of the rings with Doedre was a less painful way to get the 3rd curse than replacing good rare boots with Windscream.

"
Quazifuji wrote:
Why do you wait until level 88 to get Unwavering Stance? Are stuns really not an issue before then?

Also, it seems to me like Avatar of Fire might not be worth taking until fairly high level. Mastermind of Dischord and Paragon of Calamity seem more important that Liege of the Primordial anyway, rare jewels are comparable to Izaro's Turmoil, and you can use Frost Bomb to lower enemy resistances for a pretty big damage multiplier. I can see how the damage conversion becomes worth it once you've got a lot of double dipping damage sources (multiple Turmoils, Snowforged, Liege), but earlier on it doesn't seem like the Fire Conversion gets you a whole lot, especially taking the possibility of Frost Bomb into account.

I guess ultimately, both of my questions combine to: What are your thoughts on taking Unwavering Stance earlier and taking Avatar of Fire and the various double-dipping damage buffs later? Is that just a slower but safer route, or is there a reason I'm missing that you recommend converting to fire early on and saving Unwavering Stance for such high levels?

US comes in late because the path to it is so long. It's not exactly lv 88 (it's lv 85, Diamond Skin comes after it), and you can get it as early as lv 81 if you go down the tree before taking the 3rd curse (Whispers of Doom). The Scion version has shorter pathing and gets it at lv 77.

Stun is not a big deal until high tier maps. And since most people level in safe places like Lake/Strand/Gorge/Plateau/Springs until at least lv 85, you definitely don't need it until then.

The reason I take Whispers of Doom first for the Witch version (the Scion gets it after US) is because the Witch can take the 3rd curse before finishing the game and doing the Lab on Merc, and that can be useful (Scion doesn't have that luxury).

Taking Avatar of Fire and switching to fire damage is a HUGE boost to your DPS (and leech). The moment you take it, you instantly gain 33% increase damage from Snowforged and ~15% MORE damage from Cold To Fire. And if you already have Izaro's - the bonus from them too. Only expensive jewels are comparable to Izaro's, and including Fire makes it easier to find good non-Izaros too.

I will start leveling my Witch tonight and use this opportunity to document her progress as she goes, with all the numbers. I wish I had done that for my Scion in Perandus, but oh well...
Last edited by Kelvynn on Jun 10, 2016, 8:08:10 PM
"
Kelvynn wrote:

US comes in late because the path to it is so long. It's not exactly lv 88 (it's lv 85, Diamond Skin comes after it), and you can get it as early as lv 81 if you go down the tree before taking the 3rd curse (Whispers of Doom). The Scion version has shorter pathing and gets it at lv 77.

Stun is not a big deal until high tier maps. And since most people level in safe places like Lake/Strand/Gorge/Plateau/Springs until at least lv 85, you definitely don't need it until then.

That makes some sense. On the other hand, the path gives a lot of int, so it doesn't seem that bad. I'm just already having problems with stuns in A3 merc, and waiting until I hit level 85 seems like a long way to go.

I guess I also level less safely than a lot of people, though. I like to just go for whatever maps I have and see what happens rather than sticking only to the easy ones.

"
Kelvynn wrote:

Taking Avatar of Fire and switching to fire damage is a HUGE boost to your DPS (and leech). The moment you take it, you instantly gain 33% increase damage from Snowforged and ~15% MORE damage from Cold To Fire. And if you already have Izaro's - the bonus from them too. Only expensive jewels are comparable to Izaro's, and including Fire makes it easier to find good non-Izaros too.

The thing with the cold to fire more multiplier is that you're swapping out Controlled Destruction for it. So the 15% more damage from Cold to Fire is actually less than you would get without it. Factor in Frost Bomb, and you're sacrificing the equivalent of about 7% more damage and 20% pen (against enemies strong enough to be worth frost bombing) for the conversion.

Izaro's Turmoil, Snowforged, and Liege of the Primordial give you a lot of bonus damage (40-80% from Liege depending on if you use ice or lightning golem, 33% from Snowforged, around 25% per Izaro's), so I believe that you still ultimately get more damage by converting to fire (especially if you don't like having to bother with Frost Bomb bosses), but it doesn't seem that huge. But maybe I'm wrong.

"
Kelvynn wrote:

I will start leveling my Witch tonight and use this opportunity to document her progress as she goes, with all the numbers. I wish I had done that for my Scion in Perandus, but oh well...

That would definitely be helpful. I've spent a lot of time dying and wondering whether it's because my gear is bad or I'm playing poorly.
Now that 2.3 has been out for a while, is scion or witch looking better for this build?
Is'nt "melding" worth picking? It gave you crapload of es with energy from within jewel
Will it work to use just 3-link CWDT+Enfeeble+Temporal Chains?
what do you think about going occultist?
you lose damage but you don't have to grab unwavering stance and the +1 curse node, which saves so many points that you could use to compensate the loss of dps?
Last edited by Booed on Jun 11, 2016, 7:53:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info