Opinions on real-money auction house?

"
Kayze wrote:
Good/rare items take time to drop...which means they will have some base value. It's like how you pay in-game gold for a rare/good item. Time invested exchanged for time invested. The only difference with a real cash system is that you can pay to have that time invested reduced. (Probably at great expense at that)

If anything, rare drops will be overpriced at launch/first few weeks, as is always the cash when new items are released in MMO's. Demand > Supply.

Depending on the rarity, I can see some items reaching $100+, going by the prices found on the black market in other MMO's.

I don't see why people liken Auction House -> Cash Shop. Cash shop is trading money for GM spawned items essentially, which ruins the economy. RMAH on the other hand trades money for time, which is different than randomly spawning items. Someone has to work to get the item to sell in the first place, which means playing the game, which will hopefully mean player interaction. Player interaction is the whole reason we play multiplayer games after all, right?

The would be true if you played the game alone. You are not trading money for time, as time becomes irrelevant when there are several thousand players. Certain items would be rare, yes, but essentially you would be able to choose exactly the items you wanted and have them equipped instantly - thus removing a large part of the attraction of the game, not only for you, but for a large part of the community you play with.

I think D3 will be a tremendous success. It will not be one I partake in though, and I feel as though a lot of other players will feel the same way once the true effect of the RMAH kicks in. I would hope I have POE to play instead:)
lol they don't do it to prevent illegal auctions. they could simply make it legal. But some intelligent dude @blizzard saw the opportunity to make some money. For each item put into the auction house they gain money and for each sold item they gain money.....it simply means getting more $ out of one of there games.

also i think a large portion of players thinks " cool i can play the game and when i find unneeded items i can sell them yay"

"
Westonard wrote:
because they can't afford to drop fifty dollars on that one rare drop. Now they are behind in PVP because they are doing less damage which will make a difference in fights, they are behind in PVE because they aren't going to be as optimally equipped.

And what is the difference ? It is a RANDOM drop and instead of trading it for a virtual ingame currency that only player have access to who can spend alot of time someone gets it who has another advantage. The player who can't afford it or who doesn't have this drop is always behind....thats the nature of these games
Wand's don't kill people, i kill people, with Wand's
Last edited by Niburu on Jan 11, 2012, 3:37:08 AM
As I said in the same topic on open forums where ppl were bitching about that.

It will be huge win for blizz both in terms of $$$ and game popularity and in the same time it won't change balance between players too much, since without RMAH players would trade items for real money anyway. If there is a demand there will be supply.
You can either try to hunt (mean spend money) without any major effects or just try to make money from this by maintaining such feature as RMAH.

As for GGG imo RMAH is not an option.
Too small company, too much work with.
It's a bad idea in D3 and a bad idea here. Worse actually.

It completely circumvents the entire trading/bartering system and adds basically a buy power option. GGG has stated they dont intend to offer it.

Now, a regular auction house or trading hub with the ability to set items for trade via orbs/shards etc would be something interesting.
"
Leissak2 wrote:
I my self am against a RMAH. It's the reason I won't waste a dime on my money on D3. I fore see in about 6 mo. after D3 goes live, the hacking and account compromises will be so bad that the game just won't be worth playing any more.

How exactly will having a secure, in-game way to spend money for items result in hacking and stolen passwords?

On the actual topic, people will spend the money in any case, either in-game or out of game, whatever is available.

Taking an aggressive stance against 3rd party selling if you don't offer an in game AH would be a good thing. Maybe making being the buyer a little more painful if caught. Set up fake sites offering to sell items, instant delivery, don't take the persons money just ban their account as soon as they click 'accept' to buy the items. Set the system up to log all trades, chat and website transactions, maybe auto flag suspicious behavior or text for manual investigation. Punishment needs to be more than take the item away, slap on the wrist.
"
Boroku wrote:
Set up fake sites offering to sell items, instant delivery, don't take the persons money just ban their account as soon as they click 'accept' to buy the items.
Setting up honeypots is a waste of time. You set up a website, make it look convincing, and then you catch a handful of people before everyone catches on. There only needs to be one site they trust that you don't have control of, one d2jsp equivalent, before that tactic stops working anyway.

Those work hours would be far better spent improving the game.
Last edited by GusTheCrocodile on Jan 14, 2012, 6:48:58 PM
Opinions? Just one, RMAH sucks. Pay to win has no place in serious RPG games. Differently from D3, which will cost $60 in the stores and will have pay to win (LOL!!), PoE is a free game so its not so ridiculous to include something like a RMAH if GGG really wanted, but the impression I have is that most of the people playing this game do that to avoid the "casualization" of the RPGs these days, so a RMAH will seriously hurt the player base of this game IMO.

I was a diehard fan of the Diablo franchise until they announced the RMAH, which made me completely lose the interest in the game. I was hard to decide not to play a game as huge as D3 but I did it, so I know how easily will be to decide not to play a "unknown" game like PoE if it has a RMAH, because lets be honest, PoE don't have a budget to compete against Blizzard in making games (no ofense, I do like this game).
Last edited by Synchrotron on Jan 14, 2012, 7:06:47 PM
"
Synchrotron wrote:
Pay to win has no place in serious RPG games

d2jsp
IRON MAN
I think rape should be legalized, people do it anyways so why dont make it legal and it could happen in a controlled way.
but seriously the only reason blizz/activisoin make real money ah is to squeeze more money from the users, everything else they say about this system is bullshit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info