Opinions on real-money auction house?

The drama is strong in this one.
"
kyusoath wrote:
none of the developers that made d1/2 great games worked on it at all.
And how many of them are working on Path of Exile, hmm? Either you're suggesting that you need a D1/D2 dev on board to make a good game - in which case this game and 99% of others are screwed from the start - or you aren't suggesting that, and your statement is entirely without consequence.

"
D3 will still make plenty of money. Because there's plenty
of children and manchild idiots that will pay for it.
Or, you know, people with different tastes to you. Oh you covered them, under manchild idiots, I see. It's good to see such humble and respectful discourse on the forums.

"
It's the worst MMO ever made because it set a standard, that since then all the other money hungry companies have tried to replicate it, stifling innovation and racing to the bottom. The money hungry people at SOE got dollar signs in their eyes when they saw the profits from wow and then destroyed SWG (the best mmo ever made until the CU (RIP)). SWG was doing fine making a profit and it was a great game. But greed spawned forth from the cancerous bowels of WoW destroyed it.
Wow, so now it's Blizzard's fault when other companies make decisions you don't like. Shit, maybe it was Blizzard that killed my dog, too, I'd better check that out.

Seriously, Blizzard's MMO is bad because Sony shut down SWG trying to imitate it? This is truly bizarre stuff. I guess everyone with a successful business should get in line to apologise to you in advance for ruining the world.

"
And you know what, there's nothing I can do to stop this.
This is why i am glad for my mortality. I welcome death, i would not want to live in forever in a world where this is the norm.
I guess that's one solution. The rest of us seem to manage fine just, you know, not buying things we don't like.

Yes, a bunch of teenagers like Justin Bieber and I don't. So what? Him making music doesn't mean music I do like doesn't get made anymore. Same with movies, same with games, same with everything. I don't have to read Dan Brown. I don't have to watch Transformers. I don't have to play Farmville. I can read, and watch, and play and listen to the things I do like, and discuss those things with people, and recommend them and share them and all the things people have always done with art. There's zero problem unless insecurity prevents you from being content in a minority.

"
This is the world we live in , music, movies , TV and videogames are built from a profitability perspective instead of a quality perspective.

I believe that this is unethical and and has a massive negative effect on the human race.
Yes yes, the things you like are built for quality, the things other people like are only built for profit. Maybe get back to us when you can actually show a difference between something in category A and something in category B.

Hint: you can't do that. Welcome to subjectivity.
"
kyusoath wrote:
This is the world we live in , music, movies , TV and videogames are built from a profitability perspective instead of a quality perspective.

even if (I) cant improve "the" world, I can improve _my_ world, and decide for quality (mostly) - or to prefer free instead of paying at least. _We_ have the might to choose on what we pay for - I choose to use this right.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
"
kyusoath wrote:

RMAH or any kind of pay to win RMT shit is a cancer in online gaming. games that implement pay to win systems
are all, without exception, garbage. There has never been a good game that has official pay to win cash shop shit in it.

So you prefere time to win I presume? You know the way all other MMOs work where if johnny 15 year old spends 50 hours a week grinding instances and raids he will be more powerful than a guy with a job and a life who plays for say 5 hours a week? Why shouldn't the second guy have the opportunity to spend money to put himself on equal footing with the kids he cant otherwise compete with??

You wanna know why it annoys people, cause whiny brats would scream and cry cause suddenly the fact they are super l33t and awesome wouldn't mean anything, it invalidates the one area of life they excel in. Personally I dont rate my own success or value based on any form of kudos gained through gaming so it doesnt bother me one iota if other people buy items or not. I dont see why it bothers you, unless you fall into my example above?

"
kyusoath wrote:

Diablo 3 looks like a world of warcraft.

No it doesn't, stop parroting pathetic 3rd hand opinions that weren't right years ago when it first announced and definately aren't right now since they made it darker and more gothic. It looks literally nothing like WOW, unless your blind perhaps.

"
kyusoath wrote:

D3 will still make plenty of money. Because there's plenty
of children and manchild idiots that will pay for it

Now your just starting to sound like a lame teenager who automatically assumes everyone elses 'mainstream' tastes are inferior and that you are one of the few people in the world with any integrity. D3 looks awesome, if you want to miss out on it cause you have sand in your vagina over the idea someone can buy weapons and nobody will worship your epeen thats your lookout. Give it a year and I guarantee you will be playing it like most others will, mark my words.

"
kyusoath wrote:
SWG was doing fine making a profit and it was a great game. But greed spawned forth from the cancerous bowels of WoW destroyed it.

No it wasn't, strange though it may seem to someone with no understanding of how companies make profit, if the game was doing 'fine' and earning money they wouldn't have been forced to redesign the whole thing. You may have perceived it in your tiny world as being fine, but it was far from fine, it was losing subs by the hour, had been from day 1, it was making a loss. Granted the NGE was a poor attempt to reboot it, but without that it would have died anyway, SOE has admitted this exact thing in interviews over the years.

See we are coming back to your juvenile approach to the world again, just cause you enjoyed it, you assume it was a great game doing fine. But your wrong, as you are with most of what you ranted about.

"
kyusoath wrote:

I do not understand why anyone would want this, it is simply ruining gaming.

Explain how its ruining gaming again?? Please cause im lost here? How does someone being able to legally do what was previously possible via spyware infested sites in russia/china 'ruin gaming' in any way shape or form?

"
Yes yes, the things you like are built for quality, the things other people like are only built for profit. Maybe get back to us when you can actually show a difference between something in category A and something in category B.

Hint: you can't do that. Welcome to subjectivity.

Well said...
I find Blizzards logic of "people are going to buy items anyway, they may as well do it from us" to be heavily flawed.
Its just that whole "make something bad legal and it ceases to be a problem" line of thinking all over again, which has been shown to not work.
Timezone: UTC+1
IGN:Togscd
Last edited by Togsy on Jan 17, 2012, 1:21:38 PM
"
Togsy wrote:
I find Blizzards logic of "people are going to buy items anyway, they may as well do it from us" to be heavily flawed.
Its just that whole "make something bad legal and it ceases to be a problem" line of thinking all over again, which has been shown to not work.
No one's said it ceases to be a problem. The argument is that it becomes less of a problem.
erm .... "booooooooo!" ?
"
Togsy wrote:

Where has this been shown not to work?? Actually all evidence points to the contrary that it does indeed make the situation better. Not ideal no, but then this isnt an ideal world.
"
Togsy wrote:

It's a lot of effort for them to try and manage and prevent the sale of items for real-world money, so they decided they'd let people do it legally. Plus they keep all the money until someone decides to 'cash out'.
IRON MAN
The problem comes in when Blizzard decides to skim off the top.

When something is a problem and you want to make it safer, you don't attempt to fix it and then attempt to gain extra from it... you simply fix it.

In cases where there is no way to stop something, then the next best method is to make sure that it's safe and secure. The RMAH was a good idea before Blizzard decided to quintuple tax you for doing so or whatever nonsense they've decided on now.

The RMAH should be funded at or near cost to do the transaction, which is often a small percentage or a flat rate depending on the credit company. The problem is that I do not believe they are funding it remotely close to cost and have made it excessively convoluted to the point where people will STILL use 3rd party sites.

Blizzard already had either most or all of that coded up already... it was no skin off their back to plop it in.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
Yes, I would like to see an auction house or atleast a way to trade without spamming global.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info