[2.2] DaEagle's budget Mjölnerphant (Hierophant mjölner with discharge and triple-curse blasphemy)

Introduction
This is a budget-friendly Mjölner build that utilizes the Hierophant's passive "Conviction of power" to generate endurance-charges 25% of the time you generate power-charges, which you will max out fast because of Romira's Banquet and the passive Resolute Technique. In fact, this build generates charges much quicker then a voll-build (I'am not saying that this build is better, it just costs 10-14ex less).

The highest map I've done yet is Conservatory (tier 14), which was really easy. The build rolls through all maps quite easily.

You can use this build on a budget of Mjölner plus ca 10c for the rest of the gear. (Mjölner price was 22-25c at the time of writing this guide). Check http://poe.trade/search/hehehikisetebi for current Mjölner-price.

Videos
Disclaimer: Got a 5 year old geforce gtx 580 which isn´t optimal for recording.

Tier 12 Shipyard map with enfeeble (good quality)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ-_esX8JCI

Tier 12 Arsenal map twinned and temporal chains (good quality)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICOoffKqJxE

Tier 8 Orchard map with basic gear (bad quality)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWQ31IlRVlQ

Highlights:
The build uses Resolute Technique in order to hit all the time, combined with Romira's Banquet to generate Power-charges all the time and Hierophant-passive Conviction of Power to generate an Endurance-Charge 25% of the time you generate a power-charge. Since you hit so much you will get maximum charges all the time.

Hierophant passives:
- Conviction of Power: generates endurance-charges
- Iluminated Devotion: Curse-radius on gloves (Blasphemy and triple-curse), Spell-penetration on helm (Orb of Storms)
- Pursuit of Faith for more DPS

Gear and Gems

Get as much strength and int as needed combined with your amulet which will help you wield the Mjölner!

Amulet
Astramentis is preferred, but Atziri's Foible is totally viable and the cheaper option.

Gloves
- Blasphemy
- Temportal Chains
- Elemental Weakness
- Enfeeble (optionally switch Elemental Weakness for Warlord's Mark)
Repentance is good, especially with Astramentis. Though any pair of yellow gloves will do. This is the spot where you put your curses due to the increased radius from Hierophant passive.

Weapon
- Arc
- Discharge
- Life Leech

Rings
Romira's Banquet for power-charges, Doedre's Damning for additional curse (3 curses)

Shield - Spelldamage, life and resistances.
Alternative 1:
- Any movement-skill (I use flame dash)
- Stone golem or Chaos Golem (I use stone golem)
- Minion Life

Alternative 2:
Replace Golem/Minion Life with Vaal Haste/Increased duration. I use this currently.

Body Armor - Life/Resists
A Kingsguard would be the best option for this build. Not worth it if it has less then five sockets though. Having this said, I would rather have 6 links than 5-link Kingsguard (they have compareable prices), a 6-link Kingsguard cost several EX. In a 5-link Kingsguard you would have to sacrifice faster attacks, which is very good against bosses.

If your priority is DPS:
6-link Kingsguard > 6-link rare > 5-link kingsguard > 5-link rare. You could ofcourse use a tabula-rasa aswell if you cover the stats and resists elsewhere.

If your priority is survival:
6-link Kingsguard > 5-link kingsguard > 6-link rare > 5-link rare.

5-link:
- Lightning Strike (for big packs)
- Molten Strike (single target)
- Greater Multiple Projectiles
- Fortify
- Multistrike
6-link:
- Faster Attacks

Boots - MovementSpeed>Life/resists, (strength)
- Immortal Call
- Increased Duration
- Cast when Damage Taken
- Optional (I use molten shell, haven't thought much about it)

Helm - Life/Resists, (strength)
Orb of storms goes here, we get 20% penetration from Hierophant passive. Orb of storms increases your single target DPS a lot, which means you can also go for double-arc in the Mjölner (for variation and fun)
- Orb of Storms
- Controlled Destruction
- Lightning Penetration
- Elemental Focus

I currently use Doedre's Scorn for extra dps:

Belt - Life, Resistance, (strength)

Belt for rich folks:
This belt shines with Vessel of Vinktar.

Flasks

Make sure you can remove Curse,Bleed, Freeze. Stibnite flask is awesome, especially for bosses that hit hard melee, such as The Brittle Emperor in the Wastelands Map.

Bandits

Normal - Help Oak for life
Cruel - Kill All
Merciless - Help Aliria for Power-charge

Jewels

Get:
- Attack speed with: Maces/One-handed melee weapons/While holding a shield
- Life
- Resistances
- Increased Damage/spell damage

Map-affixes to reroll

The only affixes that I reroll are:
- Immune to Curses
- Elemental reflect
- Players has no regeneration (low regeneration is fine)
- Blood Magic

Skill-gem considerations

Leech:
- You could opt for Warlord's mark instead of Elemental Weakness, if you want to be even tankier. From my experience a Life Leech gem in Mjölner is enough.

- Since Discharge uses fire-damage it makes more sense to go for the Life-Leech gem and Elemental Weakness curse rather then Lightning-penetration and Warlord's Mark since Elemental Weakness lowers all resistances.

- Life-Leech gem also enables you to run lower tier maps (tier 7-9 and under, depending on your gear) with curse-immune monsters.

Anti-lag measures

Since you are the god of lightning with nearly unlimited power, sometimes greater power then that which your computer can handle, you will sometimes have to restrain yourself.

Situation 1:
You spam lightning-strike onto a large group of monsters and at the same time you are too far away for discharge.
- Move closer to the big group of monsters, then press lightning-strike once and they will all die.

Situation 2:
You spam lightning-strike onto immune monsters (this is the worst one).
- Make sure you are close to the source of the immunity, such as the totem or rare-mob. Press lightning strike once and they all die.

Situation 3:
There's loads of monsters, there might be some that are immune, or few monsters close and lots of monsters out of discharge/curse-range.
- Use molten strike and kill off smaller chunks of monsters.

IT STILL LAGS!
- Replace arc with controlled destruction, you will still kill fast enough and single-target (bosses) will die even faster.

Other builds (with video)

Tier 12 Overgrown Ruins - Penta-curse, quad-aura Ocultist with ice-nova
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK9Jy4MPxh0

Last edited by DaEagle on Apr 29, 2016, 1:25:30 PM
Last bumped on Sep 28, 2016, 10:18:03 AM
Nice build!

Always wanted to try a Mjolnir build but couldn't afford it. I'm gonna try this and see if I can get it to work.

Do you think Rumi's would be good for survivability or is it enough as it is?
"
MrVamp wrote:
Nice build!

Always wanted to try a Mjolnir build but couldn't afford it. I'm gonna try this and see if I can get it to work.

Do you think Rumi's would be good for survivability or is it enough as it is?

I use Rumi's instead of the granite-flask,but the survivability is fine without it. Only just bought Rumi's actually. The stibnite flask provides better defence than Rumi's.

Please post a video.
In general what areas of the tree do you hit first?
"
Joshuha wrote:

Since I level as Lightning-strike I take the nodes close to the Templar starting-location, Retribution, Light of Divinity etc. Then Down to Warrior's blood and Diamond Skin, plus some nearby life-nordes.

Lightning Strike + orb of storms works ok. You could opt for going self-cast arc aswell!

At level 24 you will have warlords mark + elemental weakness, but you don't get blasphemy until level 31. After this it becomes pretty easy.

Wait with Whispers of Doom for a bit, your Orb of Storms might out-level your mana-pool!

Skip the power-/endurance-charges until you can use mjölner.
"
Exuroo wrote:
Please post a video.

Posted a video of an orchard-map now, link in the first post!
Any thought's on using Kingsguard as the chest or is the sustain not as good since there is no voll's devotion.
"
Autoshift wrote:
Any thought's on using Kingsguard as the chest or is the sustain not as good since there is no voll's devotion.

The sustain should be just as good as with Voll's. You generate Endurance-charges really fast with this build. I'll update the first post!

I have all this stuff sitting around my stash minus the Mjol, and I haven't bothered to look at Mjols these last few leagues; surprised they are so cheap these days! I think I want to give this a go, so thanks for writing this up.

"
DaEagle wrote:
"
Joshuha wrote:

Since I level as Lightning-strike I take the nodes close to the Templar starting-location, Retribution, Light of Divinity etc. Then Down to Warrior's blood and Diamond Skin, plus some nearby life-nordes.

Lightning Strike + orb of storms works ok. You could opt for going self-cast arc aswell!

At level 24 you will have warlords mark + elemental weakness, but you don't get blasphemy until level 31. After this it becomes pretty easy.

Wait with Whispers of Doom for a bit, your Orb of Storms might out-level your mana-pool!

Skip the power-/endurance-charges until you can use mjölner.

After RT and Mara area, would you path up to Witch first or Duelist? I imagine it's not too bad to hit 300 int with Astra so I don't know if all the int nodes should be rushed pre-60.

Last question- you think the 8% attack speed buff in Pursuit of Faith might be worth using ancestral over orb? I haven't gotten to play with a higher level orb yet, but Ancestral was doing half of my earthquake damage on a 3 link so it can get pretty beefy.
Last edited by JoeODanger on Mar 19, 2016, 4:58:23 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info