[2.5] Baelrog's Abyssal Cry Berserker - Send the whole screen to the Abyss with one attack.

Yeah, its ridiculous. You get 40% from Breath, 100% from Berserker, 20% from AC quality, 10% from Poison quality, 5% from tree; total of 175% increased poison duration, meaning 5.5 seconds poison. With my current setup, each monster deals a total of 428% of its maximum HP when it explodes: 65% on initial hit + 363% over 5.5 seconds.
I've been playing my own version of abyssal cry with dual breath of council wield for budget, they're like 6c each for low dps ok chaos roll. I planned to make a simple guide to share my idea, then i saw this post.

Pretty much core idea is the same mechanically, but my version focus more on aoe and curse. It's actually "full screen explosion" :D.

Skill tree basically looks like this: poeurl.com/IAj
Note: On the scion jewel socket will be intuitive leap (edited) ( to take aoe nodes and curse effect, so minus 4 mana and curse cast speed point there)

My final version (working to it) will be triple curse (idealy with Cospri's Will chest), with tempchain and enfeeble on blasphemy, and self cast vulnerability when needed. Normal mobs die too easily, so maybe tough blue packs, or bosses. Currently i only can run 2 curse, as a softcore player i leave enfeeble out atm. It's still safe with high life pool and tempchain + abyssal cry at early mapping stage anyway.

I also use a totem setup 4L Warchief Melee phys conc effect and faster attack/bloodlust (since we bleed with everything else due to voidheart, bloodlust doesnt add tooltip but is a huge boots to dmg output). The totem is helpful on reflect map, no need to swap anything, just use totem instead, and add huge dps on lonely bosses (like atziri ofc), where you cant awesomely one shot them like regular bosses with couple monsters around :D
Need a purpose in life...
Last edited by UncleJay69 on Jul 25, 2016, 1:03:08 PM
Having huge AoE is a lot of fun (I know from getting the shrine sometimes). However, I found that you don't need that much increased AoE for clearing effectively. For me, with no AoE from the tree, the initial cry doesn't cover the whole screen, but the chain reaction of explosions does. Its enough to clear the whole screen in most cases. The biggest gain from more AoE is more overlap, thus increasing the chances that tough enemies will be hit by more explosions. However, this is only relevant for really though bosses, which often don't even have many adds. Having good single target damage solves this problem.

Conc. Effect Earthquake is absurd when it comes down to single target DPS. Including the poison, earthquake does 110000 single target DPS with a 5-link (this is without taking the aftershock more damage into consideration). The biggest concern for an abyssal cry build is bosses with no or very few adds, lots of life and good offense (e.g. Uber Izaro/Argus).

Cospri's Will is interesting for this type of build. With it you could remove the poison link from abyssal cry, while getting a second curse as well. Although the biggest issue I have with curses is that they are the least effective when you need them the most; again versus strong bosses. Thats why I prefer not to rely on them too much.

What skill do u use as an initiator/single target, Warchief? Because you have little defenses, pretty much just a good amount of life and curses, going one-on-one in melee with something like uber Argus might get ugly fast.

Inspired Learning won't work there. Based on the context I think you mean Intuitive Leap? That would save a good amount of points (4).

Oh yeah it's intuitive leap, i often mistake one for another.

Defense is not that bad as you said since temp chain + abyssal cry make monsters incredibly slow.
For uber izaro i actually have to run around while the ancestral warchief totem deal most of the damage, i just sometime do one EQ slam (with only conc effect on the setup, still cover like half screen :D). Dodge stuffs is easier when enemy are slow anyway. It will be safe with cospri since i can have 3 curses (1 from the skill tree) and run both temp chain + enfeeble on blasphemy, vuln as self cast on bosses only. Another defense layer for me beside the curses, and flask (basalt + lion roar same as you use) is fortify. I have it linked as 5th link on EQ (instead of rapid decay or faster attack, free poison from voidheart already). Then leap slam with endurance charge on melee stun makes my immortal call last a bit longer, enough time to react.

So far the only 2 death i have is on mapping in party, i lag while leaping into packs, few sec freeze, of course nothing can save you from that situation. Good thing it's SC

For argus, it's suprisingly easy :)) you and totem + knockback flask = argus just bounce away while he try to get you.

End game variant for curse focused builds, should take account of the helm enchant for curse effectiveness. Especially when this char can farm uber lab quite comfortably.

Btw you said bigger aoe on abyssal cry is overkill, it's actually not. It's also make your character "ranged" if needed. EQ is extremely huge = easy to kite too, also you have a totem to attack from range, and the warcry basically taunt all stuffs appear on screen. I wish ggg make Warcry visual effect sync well with the actual AOE. Much easier to play around and feels better too.

You're certainly right about overlap ;) on "boss room" like crematorium or torture chamber, i always one shot boss before actually touch it, just with one cry and one slam on a random monster nearby.

I'll try to push this character to 95 ish if i have time and see what's its final potential. Because after level 85 all the life + damage stuffs are completed, which means i can totally grab all huge armor nodes nearby with 0 travel point. Also upgrade gear. Defense shall be more than enough with good armor, some evasion (from cospri chest), given now my gear only have ok life, resist, and close to no armor or evasion.
Need a purpose in life...
Last edited by UncleJay69 on Jul 25, 2016, 1:13:56 PM
I see, by scaling the AoE that much everything pretty much becomes ranged. I never used the warchief, always thought is was kind of gimmicky, but apparently you don't need much investment to make it work well. However, isn't essence drain a better option while dual wielding Breath of the Counsel. That way you will only have to focus on Chaos damage, scaling both damage skills. Its also ranged and very strong against bosses.
Hello, is it really that worth to get Evasion/Change to Avoid beign Stunned/Increased Stun recovery from the Tree, since we have already Unwavering Stance?(Cannot invade enemy attacks / Cannot be stunned).I'm kinda new btw, if there's a reason for that, I would like to know.

We don't take unwavering stance (US). It would completely wrack all your evasion. And with 6K+ life you won't get stunned much anyway (stun chance is based on damage of hit relative to your max HP). The tree in the guide doesn't have US.
You are referring to the Heart of the Oak node right (Stun Recovery question)? That node gives good life and life regeneration. The latter is somewhat rare on the tree and needed to sustain blood rage, which gives you life degeneration.
Can this build work if you add Righteous Technique?
Yes, the build doesn't make use of crit, so RT works with it.
This build late game is even more stronger than evryone thinks.Did concervatory and excavation very easy.Voidheart is op.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info