[2.2] Phys Crit Iron Commander Siege Ballista || Atziri Down || Budget

"
SirAnoobis wrote:
"
Point Blank + Far Shot (Ascendancy)
You may have noticed Point Blank was taken in the passive tree. This is because when you pair it with Far Shot, from Deadeye, much of the negative is actually neglected. This means instead of -50% damage at max range we are only -20%. So as the projectile travels half its distance it will go from 150% to 115% and dropping to 100% at around 70% of its travel. But don't stress about this. Siege Ballista has a stupid long travel time, 3 screens or more, so the damage drop off is completely irrelevant. This is a monster boost for us.

Point Blank range is based off of a fixed distance (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Point_Blank), you say that "Siege Ballista has a stupid long travel time, 3 screens or more, so the damage drop off is completely irrelevant.", to my understanding you mean "SB has such a long range that the penalty will come very far away so it will be irrelevant" right? But that would be incorrect since Point Blank is based on a fixed distance, not on a % of the total projectile distance, thus making Point Blank + Far Shot far less powerful than what you say it would be for this build? Especially since we rely on the knock-back on critical hit.

I think it would still be worth to go for one of the two, maybe Far Shot + knock-back since you want to keep enemies away from you but from ballistas too? Point Blank and maybe no knock-back on critical might still be nice too, but will force you to spawn ballistas on enemies' face thus setting them up for fast death.

I really like the build anyways, and apart from this thing (which may also be me interpreting your words wrongly actually?) the rest of the theory is very well thought and I enjoy understanding the how and why of the strategies and eventually making my own build instead of just copy-pasting the skill tree.

I swapped into Fast and Deadly for this reason, and dropped Point Blank.
It's difficult to accurately drop your Sieges in some situations. I noticed it on Atziri when I was trying to keep my Sieges out of her AoE while dodging. I also don't like that I can't get an accurate idea of how much damage I'm doing; I know tool tip is useless and plenty o things can inflate it, but not even having a general idea of how much damage potential I have, mostly due to not always being able to place totems where I want them, bothers me. FnD also seems to give you more consistent damage, which is appreciated.

I'm curious though: when you use Slower Proj in your gem setup, how does that interact with Far Shot/Point Blank? Does it just shrink the ranges on both to accommodate the shorter range on your Sieges? That's something else to consider.

Here's the tree I've got at 77
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAICAABeAO4FLQagCC4NjQ-rEMwVIBVDFr8ZihmOG60hdiP2JIsmlSoLKk0rtizpMHw1kjnUPC0_J0MxR35KfUrITP9Nkk4qU89VS1uvYeJkhGVNaU5tbG6qb_JwUnTtdct7FH31fyuDX4PMhrOGzod2idOMC4w2jEaNfY1-lLiVzJcGm42gn6OKr-u1SLXytz63trl8vTa-p8EzwzrEosT2xq7PXtN-2L3awd0N45_n6upi7LDtP-2D7g7veviT-TP5Y_m9_MX-Cg==

Also, considering that Sharp and Dangerous not only gives us chaos damage to scale, it might be worth taking the phys/chaos nodes near Shadow start once you finish merc lab. I still need another 10 or 12 points to decide for myself though. If you guys feel like testing it, let me know how it goes.
Last edited by FocusedFelix on Mar 18, 2016, 3:32:28 AM
Slower projectiles would mean the projectile itself travels less distance meaning far shot would be slightly more effective at farther range. Not a crazy overall change though. As far as point blank goes since it still a flat distance slower proj would have no effect on it.

Out of curiosity does anyone know what 35 range looks like?
@Kartikdon

what do you think about placing Lioneye's Fall in the jewel slot in the Duelist area?
nodes like Wreaking Ball or Executioner should give a huge dps boost
"
BeRse wrote:
@Kartikdon

what do you think about placing Lioneye's Fall in the jewel slot in the Duelist area?

if you were going non-crit it would be something to look at for sure. But it is a very heavy point investment to get those noteables, one that we can't do with crit. You could drop totemic mastery and get this going a little bit but I find that to good of a QoL cluster to pass on.

with the right gearing combo we ca drop dex points to work towards this. I think if you were fine with 800 dex (5 totems) you could definitely make wrecking ball work. But if you wanted more totems then this then I would not chase after Lioneye's. I personally would keep going for more totems.
Last edited by Kartikdon on Mar 18, 2016, 10:25:13 AM
"
Kartikdon wrote:
"
BeRse wrote:
@Kartikdon

if you were going non-crit it would be something to look at for sure. But it is a very heavy point investment to get those noteables, one that we can't do with crit. You could drop totemic mastery and get this going a little bit but I find that to good of a QoL cluster to pass on.

with the right gearing combo we ca drop dex points to work towards this. I think if you were fine with 800 dex (5 totems) you could definitely make wrecking ball work. But if you wanted more totems then this then I would not chase after Lioneye's. I personally would keep going for more totems.

thanks for your quick answer, starting a twink today with this build - hopefully next week i can report about my test with Lioneye's Fall :)
let me know how it goes! My current goal is to try and hit 1200 dex but there just isn't any upgrades I like currently that are on. Couple of options I wouldn't mind having but they never seem to be on when I am. Stuck at 6 totems :(
why do you get iron reflexes? with 1000 dex we would get 1000% increased evasion rating
preference for 1. and secondly with my gear being very budget I can have either 40% phys mit all the time or if i drop IR i can have 45% evasion. I chose to just have the constant mitigation. If I could get my gear with the right rolls on the right bases then its a different story.
Ran a grip of maps and this is what i have to say... though some of the theory is wrong the build is in its strongest state. At least when compared to what I have tested. Obviously there are some options that I have not seen or thought of but we will test those when they come up.

Point Blank is worth the node. For me I drop totems in the faces of bosses and when trash clearing the mobs run at you. By the time the totem drops they will be taking a nice fat damage bonus. As far as the knockback goes with as much placement speed as this build grabs its easy to just re-position a couple. Really the only time this ever happens is on very high HP bosses.

Abyssus 5 totem vs Black Sun 6 totem... Honestly here, unless you are running HC you should just stick with abyssus + 5 totem, or even a rats nest. The flat damage from abyssus is choice and I notice a decent difference between my damage per totem with and without it. Clear speed is about the same for both but 5 totems + abyssus do perform just a little better vs bosses.

1000dex is pretty over the top honest and only really should be needed for HC players that need a 6th totem to boost their dps. They probably would be fine with just 5 totems and rats nest and moving the points elsewhere.

whats the lvl of CWDT gems? :)
dis mah sig.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info