[2.2] Phys Crit Iron Commander Siege Ballista || Atziri Down || Budget

Just wanted to give a little push for people on the fence about trying this build:

Current gear:

Level 71
604 Dex (4 Sieges)
11.2k (x4) Tooltip with 4 Frenzy + 3 Power, 16.1k with Vaal Haste (running 2) and Atziri's Promise

I tried a dual Flame Totem build really early on after I started PoE, it was horrendously boring, so I never bothered with another. I've never played other boss cheese builds like Bladefall/Blade Vortex Totems or trap variants, so I've never experienced something like this.

I have never played a build so absolutely broken when dealing with single targets (crit Voltaxic aside: this one doesn't require you to stand still for longer than it takes to drop a new Siege). You put together an incredible build here.
Last edited by FocusedFelix on Mar 17, 2016, 6:45:44 AM
"
Jonmcdonald wrote:
Siege ballista has 100% Pierce chance already, so the Pierce gem would do literally nothing. Slower projectiles is brilliant, because Siege Ballista arrows already travel so fast.

for some reason I thought the damage bonus was less... well more clear speed for us. thanks :)
Last edited by Kartikdon on Mar 17, 2016, 10:51:43 AM
hi great build so far :D
Always wanted to try balistas and thnx to you now I can :)
this guy here https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1610454 says that ELE dmg is better than your setup (sige+firedmg+PPD+WED...) he also took a diferent tree aproach + took ENDLESS MUNITIONS instead powerful presicion in ascendancy.
What is your take on all this? is ele dmaage really better?
dis mah sig.
to each their own as far as damage types but here is my 2 cents.

Personally I feel most Ele builds are just tooltip warrior-ing and not considering in other factors. Ele damage falls off hard after tier 10+ maps. He has more damage nodes but a very very low amount of life. We have a lower tooltip but we also have very strong bleeds and lots of stacking poison damage. We also have point blank giving us a tremendous damage boost over his. With so much projectile speed the negative is irrelevant and far shot almost makes this non-existent. The damage loss doesnt even occur till about 2 screen lengths away. In the end when you calculate everything this build does we deal more damage, have more life, more totems, hardier totems, a lot more dex. If he was a templar rolling ele damage my opinion would be totally different but that is not the case.

Endless munitions gives us 1 extra projectile per totem. This is not even needed. It won't boost our single target even by the slightest. We have no area damage so that bonus doesn't help, and being a dex stacking class we really don't need accuracy. I noticed his set up is hard stuck at 4 totems, 600 dex. For his set up it may be worth it. When comparing to this set up running 5 to 7 totems we do not need the extra proj. We have more then enough coverage. I would rather put those points into extra crit chance or poison/bleed.

His idea is a good concept but he needs to move it to templar. Slap in some int or str to dex jewels. Getting the ignore resistances on crit is the biggest boon to his build possible. Making this variation work with more life I would say would be much stronger then mine but not in its current state.
i dont understand the abyssus. it says +(150 to 225)% to Melee Critical Strike Multiplier. AFAIK Siege Ballistas arent melee?
its just used as a cheap option for flat phys damage which provides quite a nice damage boost. Run a black sun crest or a rats nest if you are not the greatest dodger or tactician with your totem placement.
"
Kartikdon wrote:
to each their own as far as damage types but here is my 2 cents.

Personally I feel most Ele builds are just tooltip warrior-ing and not considering in other factors. Ele damage falls off hard after tier 10+ maps. He has more damage nodes but a very very low amount of life. We have a lower tooltip but we also have very strong bleeds and lots of stacking poison damage. We also have point blank giving us a tremendous damage boost over his. With so much projectile speed the negative is irrelevant and far shot almost makes this non-existent. The damage loss doesnt even occur till about 2 screen lengths away. In the end when you calculate everything this build does we deal more damage, have more life, more totems, hardier totems, a lot more dex. If he was a templar rolling ele damage my opinion would be totally different but that is not the case.

Endless munitions gives us 1 extra projectile per totem. This is not even needed. It won't boost our single target even by the slightest. We have no area damage so that bonus doesn't help, and being a dex stacking class we really don't need accuracy. I noticed his set up is hard stuck at 4 totems, 600 dex. For his set up it may be worth it. When comparing to this set up running 5 to 7 totems we do not need the extra proj. We have more then enough coverage. I would rather put those points into extra crit chance or poison/bleed.

His idea is a good concept but he needs to move it to templar. Slap in some int or str to dex jewels. Getting the ignore resistances on crit is the biggest boon to his build possible. Making this variation work with more life I would say would be much stronger then mine but not in its current state.

Thnx for the great explanation Kartikdon :D
dis mah sig.
"
Point Blank + Far Shot (Ascendancy)
You may have noticed Point Blank was taken in the passive tree. This is because when you pair it with Far Shot, from Deadeye, much of the negative is actually neglected. This means instead of -50% damage at max range we are only -20%. So as the projectile travels half its distance it will go from 150% to 115% and dropping to 100% at around 70% of its travel. But don't stress about this. Siege Ballista has a stupid long travel time, 3 screens or more, so the damage drop off is completely irrelevant. This is a monster boost for us.

Point Blank range is based off of a fixed distance (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Point_Blank), you say that "Siege Ballista has a stupid long travel time, 3 screens or more, so the damage drop off is completely irrelevant.", to my understanding you mean "SB has such a long range that the penalty will come very far away so it will be irrelevant" right? But that would be incorrect since Point Blank is based on a fixed distance, not on a % of the total projectile distance, thus making Point Blank + Far Shot far less powerful than what you say it would be for this build? Especially since we rely on the knock-back on critical hit.

I think it would still be worth to go for one of the two, maybe Far Shot + knock-back since you want to keep enemies away from you but from ballistas too? Point Blank and maybe no knock-back on critical might still be nice too, but will force you to spawn ballistas on enemies' face thus setting them up for fast death.

I really like the build anyways, and apart from this thing (which may also be me interpreting your words wrongly actually?) the rest of the theory is very well thought and I enjoy understanding the how and why of the strategies and eventually making my own build instead of just copy-pasting the skill tree.
i think you are right man... new baby, lack of sleep, and midterms I think caused me to remember my theory wrong. For some reason I was thinking with 2.2 GGG changed it to be based off of the projectiles distance itself. I am not sure if its better to drop it or leave it since on many boss fights I drop the totems right smack dab on their asses... Ill drop the node and see how it plays in a few maps.

great catch.
Thank you! And don't worry man, there are so many things to know in this game that making a mistake is very easy. Let us know how it goes!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info