SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS (or rework the lab) [New ascension methods/lab rework ideas]

"

Wait... Turtledove comes with "a gate can mean an entrance or exit blerggh" and you say I'm arguing semantics? That is literally actually what they started to do with me, and it's right there in the post you quoted.

This is so incredible I can't look away. I'm torn between thinking I'm wasting my life following this thread and thinking it's one of the most psychologically fascinating things I've witnessed in awhile.

Sorry, dickhole_mcghee, I didn't make that up. I copied it from an online dictionary.

GATE:a means of entrance or exit http://www.freedictionarydefinitions.com/search.htm?landing=2&no_ads=1&r=1&word=gate

EDIT: I'm sorry that I didn't provide the source originally. I had no clue it could possibly be controversial. It seemed like an obvious uncontroversial definition to me. I thought it would be plain that I'd copied the definition from somewhere and didn't bother.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Last edited by Turtledove on May 7, 2016, 1:34:59 AM
"
ShaUrley wrote:
"

Then 'gating' means absolutely nothing in this context.

'Gating' in this context means exactly what I said it does and what many others understand by it ("the labyrinth is a gate to ascendancy") --- and that is using the word in a completely standard sense when applied to video games. But if you're going to use words in the same way as Humpty Dumpty there's no point in us arguing about it.

So in your mind everything is a gate then? Playing PoE is 'gated' behind you wiping the drool from your chin, turning on your computer, and double clicking the PoE desktop icon?

WHOA WHOA WHOA THIS IS AN ARPG NOT COMP SCIENCE 101
"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch
"
Turtledove wrote:
"

Wait... Turtledove comes with "a gate can mean an entrance or exit blerggh" and you say I'm arguing semantics? That is literally actually what they started to do with me, and it's right there in the post you quoted.

This is so incredible I can't look away. I'm torn between thinking I'm wasting my life following this thread and thinking it's one of the most psychologically fascinating things I've witnessed in awhile.

Sorry, dickhole_mcghee, I didn't make that up. I copied it from an online dictionary.

GATE:a means of entrance or exit http://www.freedictionarydefinitions.com/search.htm?landing=2&no_ads=1&r=1&word=gate

EDIT: I'm sorry that I didn't provide the source originally. I had no clue it could possibly be controversial. It seemed like an obvious uncontroversial definition to me. I thought it would be plain that I'd copied the definition from somewhere and didn't bother.

At first I thought you were pulling my chain and was gonna give you two thumbs up, but I think you might be serious now.

So, that's the gate you think Regulator was referring to when he said in the OP:

"
Regulator wrote:

Even though gating is a dick move...

Means of entrance and exit are dick moves, that's what we're going with?

So like what dick was responsible for the dick move below:

Was it Nessa? It was probably Nessa. Fucking Nessa man.

"
^^^Scratch that. So I was trying to read through this thread on and off today, and came across this:

"
Turtledove wrote:
IMHO, the most fun in PoE is bringing a character up to level 50 or 60. So I'd start a character below that from scratch rather than spend a regret. Actually leveling to 50 or 60 goes really fast anyway.

Here's the thing, I don't find that fun at all. How should I proceed and/or what would you say to a person in my position?

We play games for fun. The most fundamental basic thing in a game is the game play. This has to do with the feeling that one experiences when playing that game. So the first thing that typically keeps a person interested in a game is the feeling of the game play. At least that is my view. That is the difference for me between Labyrinth game play and the rest of PoE.

Now there can be pieces in the game that one doesn't enjoy or doesn't enjoy as much as other parts of the game. For example, some PoE fans enjoy designing new builds and others would rather follow someone else's build. I don't think you mean to say that the game play makes it feel like a different game when bringing a character up to level 50 or 60? Assuming that this is the case then I would consider this a different issue from people feeling that Labyrinth game play is a different game.

However, the obvious answer to your question in any case would be to suggest that you just continue playing maps. Don't get into the leagues and just play on standard. That way you never have to bring a character up to level 50 or 60 again.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
"
Turtledove wrote:
"

At first I thought you were pulling my chain and was gonna give you two thumbs up, but I think you might be serious now.

So, that's the gate you think Regulator was referring to when he said in the OP:

"
Regulator wrote:

Even though gating is a dick move...

Means of entrance and exit are dick moves, that's what we're going with?

So like what dick was responsible for the dick move below:

Yes, I absolutely assume that is what is meant by the "dick move" comment. That is it was kind of a bad move to gate ascendancy behind labyrinth. I do admit though that when I first came across that "dick move" sentence that I stopped, backed up a sentence or two and re-read it a couple of times. My initial reaction was that it seemed to come across as too harsh. After re-reading it I decided that it was not the author's intent to be harsh. I think it was meant more as a kind of an off-hand comment said with a half-smirk on the face as it was being said.
Last edited by Turtledove on May 7, 2016, 2:20:00 AM
The most concise way I can think to explain it is that the lab is only a 'gate' if you basically just don't like it and don't think it fits. The description relies on a subjective opinion and even then it stretches the traditional definition of a 'gate' in a game. To players that don't have this dislike, it's just another part of the game, doing a thing to get a thing and do another thing.

In it's most negative context, which is obviously what Regulator intended with 'dick move', it is a fake and arbitrary way of stopping a player from advancing in the plot of the game, literally halting progress, usually to stretch out the play length. An example of the lab being a traditional gate would be something like, when a player logged on after ascendency was released, they were transported to the lab and had to complete before they could do anything else. Even this example is subjective and depends on how willing a player is to meet a game on its own terms. That's the problem with the OP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question The entire premise is flawed

Regardless, it's clearly pointless to give 'gate' such a wide definition as 'anything you have to do to get/do the next thing' as that leaves open the idea that, unless a player gets all ascendency points, plus passive points, and all gear upon starting, everything is a 'gate'. Literally everything. At some point the player has to acknowledge that the game IS the game (any game, not just PoE) and not some willful skinner-box immersion.

Last edited by dickhole_mcghee on May 7, 2016, 3:10:41 AM
"
Regulator wrote:
@EnjoyTheJourney

I really like constructive feedback. I dont know if i got it right but what you are suggesting is to make lab smaller while also removing completely or partially the traps? While also modifying a bit the enchant system and keeping AC gated there? Please clarify i think i lost you somewhere.
On reflection, Lab would be quite a bit better even if only traps were removed, and not Ascendancy. I'm still not certain how making the maze bigger is supposed to make Lab more fun, though, if running Lab isn't all about enchants (which it could be, as enchants are potentially very powerful).

Trial by combat makes sense to me as a litmus test for Ascendancy. That is easily the most common pattern for testing characters in ARPGs because it fits the genre so naturally and tends to also fit the lore you'll often find in ARPGs. Ancients in D2, Kaom versus Lionheart, and all that. But, running through a giant maze to do three parts of a single boss fight just seems like tedious busywork to me. If your goal is Ascendancy, then you still have every incentive to skip as much of the giant maze as possible, which was (accurately, I think) flagged as not a particularly good design choice.

If they kept Lab for enchants and moved Ascendancy to a true "trial by combat" setting or even to a series of battles over time (gotta beat all those competitors for the throne, after all), then I think that would be an excellent solution.

So, for example, an alternative to Labyrinth for Ascendancy (to add to the list in the OP) would be for Ascendancy to be a series of Trials by Combat, perhaps with random opponents drawn from a large pool of known combatants, before each fight with Izaro. So, for example, a stage one fight might be against a handful of exiles (doesn't have to be exiles, but just as a starter idea) in a fighting pit. In the first fight, exiles will be just as likely to target each other as to target you. In the second fight, exiles can be tougher and more likely to view you as particularly dangerous and to team up on you. In the third fight, before the final Izaro fight, the exiles have figured out that they need to work together to take you down and they gang up on you from the beginning, use flasks and even heal each other and share auras, that kind of thing.

An element of randomness about the design of the fighting pit, the mix of exiles, and about aggro (in the first two fights) would give some variability to how encounters might go.

Again, though, either removing traps or making traps destructible, so we could have the pleasure of nuking them back to the 1980s (where they belong) would still be highly welcome, even it did mean the tedium of running through a giant maze remained in place.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on May 7, 2016, 10:25:15 AM
Developers, what do you expect to change this content? Give us "free" points, thank you.

IGN: SeaLaser
Sea Builds, Characters, Shops, Links & Records:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/972683/
"

LOL

Personally I think the Fairgraves skill point quest is BS too. I mean, I shouldn't have to talk to a damn pirate then fight off an ambush of undead and raging spirits just to get a skill point. When I login to my character the first time I should have that skill point already. I'm not saying I want stuff for free and I'm not crying about Fairgraves, I'm just saying that FACTUALLY MY OPINION is that it's total crap so that's like 1/2 a fact right there. Furthermore, this is an action game so I shouldn't have to talk to anyone. I don't want to talk to NPC's. It is factually proven proof positive that talking to NPC's is boring. If I wanted to play King's Quest I would, how dumb is it that dialogue has creeped into this game. SET FREE FAIRGRAVES's SKILL POINT FROM THE GRAVEYARD! ;-)

What's next on the bitching block of the month? Maybe we should make some polls about how farming for currency is really lame and maps should rain down from the heavens on entry into the docks for the first time. It's all this DAMN GATING that ruins Wraeclast. That's why the Koalas there have gone insane.
I tried lab now for about 15+ times in Hardcore and got 2 points out of it :). Now my char got ripped by traps and that its for me again (after 6 months break). Maybe i come back, maybe not. Too many other good games out there.
The game evolved pretty good but the labyrinth is total garbage. Its should removed because as it is now, its no fun at all to play it over and over again. Bye guys.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info