SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS (or rework the lab) [New ascension methods/lab rework ideas]

Ok yeah,

"
Turtledove wrote:

Gating is defined in the first or second paragraph of the OP.

Unless it was edited, it's not.

"
It is a reasonable use of the word to mean that one must complete Labyrinth to get ascendancy points.

But that's not what 'gating' means. The labyrinth is almost the exact opposite of what 'gating' means.

"
The problem here is that GGG added a new game play piece of content in the labyrinth that is different from any other content in the game.

Regulator is probably out of reach but I hope you understand that this is not a fact. 'Fact' in the sense that it's not an objective concept to state unequivocally.

"
Significant numbers of people that love PoE in general do not like this new game play. That would be fine since many other people do enjoy trap game play. However, "gating" mainline character development behind this different game play that is not fun to many people is a problem.

At least in the last sentence it's clear where the confusion comes from, but this still isn't what 'gating' means.
"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch
"
Ok yeah,

"
Turtledove wrote:

Gating is defined in the first or second paragraph of the OP.

Unless it was edited, it's not.

Sorry, I didn't mean an explicit definition. I meant I thought that there was sufficient explanation to make the intended meaning clear.

"
"
It is a reasonable use of the word to mean that one must complete Labyrinth to get ascendancy points.

But that's not what 'gating' means. The labyrinth is almost the exact opposite of what 'gating' means.

"
The problem here is that GGG added a new game play piece of content in the labyrinth that is different from any other content in the game.

Regulator is probably out of reach but I hope you understand that this is not a fact. 'Fact' in the sense that it's not an objective concept to state unequivocally.

Yes, but it is a fact. It is a fact that in my opinion and in many other's opinions the game play in the labyrinth feels significantly different, like a different game. Since it is a simple opinion about one's own feelings, it is a fact that many share this view. It doesn't mean that everyone has to share this same feeling for it to be a fact. I consider you lucky. I wish that I didn't feel that way so that I could continue to enjoy playing PoE like I used to.

"
"
Significant numbers of people that love PoE in general do not like this new game play. That would be fine since many other people do enjoy trap game play. However, "gating" mainline character development behind this different game play that is not fun to many people is a problem.

At least in the last sentence it's clear where the confusion comes from, but this still isn't what 'gating' means.

Gate can mean, "a means of entrance or exit". So the labyrinth is a gate to ascendancy. That seems to be reasonable use of the English language to me?
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
The only thing i missed during Labyrinth were holes in the flor, which you need to leap over. And if you don't, you just fall into nowhere and die. Right before death you bounce from the darknes like on trampoline, and then fall down finaly. Like it were in old days, on Dendy.

But if seriously, i didn't like the number 3 in this expansion.

3 times you fight boss in one run.
3 times you do it on each difficulty.

Why it should be 3?

I personaly would like to complete 2 much, MUCH, dramaticly harder trials at each difficluty, for 6 in total. And then, at merciless, you get into big labirinth with 6 portals, where you hunt Izaro, fight him, three times if devs prefer, beat his ass and actually ascend. With all 6 points. That would make more scence, to my taste.
"
Regulator wrote:
"
Pyrokar wrote:
^https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyokZQD7_fw

1st minute and around 3:50 i am not gonna bother timestamping. You got to 4k and 2k es respectively, that's nearly dying in terms of trap damage and the trap setup wasn't even hard. You say, you know what you are doing, but you clearly don't.

Thx for that. Great skill. much WOW!. He casually walks over traps because it needs skill for that.

You know... Saying the traps have no need for skill kinda negates your entire argument, right?

"
Turtledove wrote:

Gate can mean, "a means of entrance or exit". So the labyrinth is a gate to ascendancy. That seems to be reasonable use of the English language to me?

Are you fucking kidding me?

^^^Scratch that. So I was trying to read through this thread on and off today, and came across this:

"
Turtledove wrote:
IMHO, the most fun in PoE is bringing a character up to level 50 or 60. So I'd start a character below that from scratch rather than spend a regret. Actually leveling to 50 or 60 goes really fast anyway.

Here's the thing, I don't find that fun at all. How should I proceed and/or what would you say to a person in my position?

"
"
Turtledove wrote:

Are you really reduced to arguing sematics to defend the labyrinth? It's quite clear what "gating" means in this context: a player has to complete the labyrinth to gain ascendancy points. Try googling gating + video games:

http://technicalgamedesign.blogspot.com/2011/04/gating.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2g49gm/i_am_starting_to_see_skill_gating_more_in_modern/
Proud member of the Vocal Minority
Last edited by ShaUrley on May 6, 2016, 9:51:30 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
SET FREE PASSIVE POINT FROM DWELLER OF THE DEEP

* watery cave tileset is horrible, easy to get lost
* completing quest is tedious
* crab battle isn't fun and the mechanics are obnoxious (seriously who wants to be slowed?)

Don't tell me "oh its not that hard," this ISN'T a difficulty thing, I know some people run Dweller of the Deep very fast, but to me it just isn't fun so you should just get the point as a reward for killing Merveil.

I want to play Path of Exile, not Spelunky.

It's silly we need to jump through this hoop to get a completely 100% mandatory quest reward, because it's literally impossible to run high maps or Utziri unless you have every last point.

If you disagree, I'll drag my request out for 30+ pages.

Olioliolio.

I'm actually surprised it took 30 pages to get one of these.

Also, don't get me started on that goddamn twilight strand.

"
ShaUrley wrote:
"
"
Turtledove wrote:

Are you really reduced to arguing sematics to defend the labyrinth?

Wait... Turtledove comes with "a gate can mean an entrance or exit blerggh" and you say I'm arguing semantics? That is literally actually what they started to do with me, and it's right there in the post you quoted.

This is so incredible I can't look away. I'm torn between thinking I'm wasting my life following this thread and thinking it's one of the most psychologically fascinating things I've witnessed in awhile.

"
It's quite clear what "gating" means in this context: a player has to complete the labyrinth to gain ascendancy points.

Then 'gating' means absolutely nothing in this context. In every game you have to do something for something else to happen.

Why do I have to talk to the dying exile before I get my weapon in the twilight strand act I? This is tyranny of the highest order, gating the getting of a weapon behind some conversation simulator! This is an arpg, not skype.

"

The cute thing is I actually did this before I posted, to check if 'gating' in this context still meant what it always has.

Last edited by dickhole_mcghee on May 6, 2016, 10:33:01 PM
"

Then 'gating' means absolutely nothing in this context.

'Gating' in this context means exactly what I said it does and what many others understand by it ("the labyrinth is a gate to ascendancy") --- and that is using the word in a completely standard sense when applied to video games. But if you're going to use words in the same way as Humpty Dumpty there's no point in us arguing about it.
Proud member of the Vocal Minority

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info