SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS (or rework the lab) [New ascension methods/lab rework ideas]

its a really weird marketing move they have havoc and etup zeno and phox and some others who promote the game on twich nonstop

those guys play hc thats how they attract their audience every death means viewer standard streamer can never pull the same numbers

the challenges and the lab resulted in hc temp player migrating to sc temp league which means they drain the playerbase force them out of their comfort zone

anyone who played the last 5 days of flashback hc could see trade/1 wasnt moving at all

if this continues it will have a bad influence on the game and twich promotion you cant promote a game with multiple league modes if they are ghosttowns

ps wtf itzaro isnt the problem here a naked bladefall miner can oneshot hi without him doing any action at all making it possible that a 85+ can die in a lvl 10 zone (lag dc whatever) is just plain bad design
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
"
Today announcement surely backfired, i bet they werent expecting so much negativity towards the abomination they call labyrinth.

They even had the idea of implementing more Indiana Jones in the already bastardized labyrinth part of the game, substituting the Action in ARPG with even more arcade (proof in the OP)

Backfired? Is this just your interpretation, the post on reddit aren't massively negative towards the situation and its really the only place where you can gauge the overall view of the community, because you can't upvote\downvote post here.

Whats interesting is that I would say reddit as a whole is "just as casual" as a lot of you people are in terms of difficulty and what they overall might view as acceptable for the game and in this particular case there is no indication that "the majority" or even a lot of players agree with you, at least specifically on this higher level lab. Which is why I question how your viewing this as something that "backfired"

"

Then they announced even more rewards for not completely skipping side areas in a attempt to sweeten the whole deal. But how many extra rewards are they going to put inside the labyrinth? At the moment we have keys + chests, ascendancy points, enchants, lab only uniques, side area chests, shrines and the unique jewels. When will they realise that people hate the labyrinth cause it sucks the fun out of them? Its a simple matter of having fun or not, and people (even those who like the different playstyle of the lab and the lab farmers) just find it annoyinh/boring/tedious/unfun/frustrating etc. Seriously GGG cant be so blind to all that critisism.

More rewards? I think its just more incentive, the only "new" reward is the ability to get maps from the chest at the end, but thats fitting considering its designed to be an endgame lab and without the ability to get some maps, its not really "endgame" content is it? Keys and chest are there to reward people that don't want to just rush thru the lab or to make it so people let the boss fight become more difficult, it means that players have a choice to make, that is good game design, something you seem to know very little about. The points, is of course the contention that you want to fight, it being the single largest reason why people would run the lab, because its the only thing that people simply cannot get outside the lab in any other way, which is why its likely that AC will never be removed from the lab. Enchantments are the encouragement to do the lab after you get the points, however they can be traded, which means that it enables an economic advantage to those that want to complete the lab multiple times, instead of just once. Side area chest aren't really that great most of the time, I think last league there were only a handful of times where it was worth seeking them out. Dark shrines are a risk\reward system, unfort. they are the same per day, which means if you read the reddit post you know weather or not it worth clicking on, but I don't really recall anyones that were that crazy, like a unique item thing is alright and the wisdom scroll thing is pretty damn funny.

The unique jewels are simply for the leaderboards and really nothing else, the only "useable" one really is the int one, but its likely beat by a great 3 property rare jewel, making it mediocre at best. We don't know the stats of the 4th jewel, but its likely all stats of some sort, with the same "demigod" like character increase (these are for show and nothing else)

How can you be blind to the comments that GGG made on the podcast, they simply don't really care that some people don't enjoy the lab, its an acceptable downside to them that the content isn't fully enjoyed by all. Again if all content in the game is "watered down" then it means the game becomes bland and not interesting, its something they don't want to happen, which is likely why they will never remove AC from the lab and while its highly unlikely that they will offer alternatives anytime "soon" (next year)

"
I understand that a 4th/endgame Labyrinth was in their original plans and was already designed and paid for, but all clues about how bad the labyrinth was received are out there. Look at feedback, on youtube videos, twitch chats, reddit, fuck even in today's annountment post people are hating the how lab works. They surely cant be SO thick and stubborn. There are many different solutions to the many different issues with the labyrinth, they should definately consider some of them.

Are you looking at the same reddit post I am, because there isn't really negative feedback that is upvoted, a lot of the comments are kinda smarky remarks about moving the trials from one place to another, but that I guess is more friendly banter then massive negative criticism and it really has nothing to do with your topic at all, because you shouldn't really care about the trials, you should really only care about AC points, which is why you commenting on any other part of the lab, just proves how shit of a point yours truly is, trying to bring factors into the discussion that are irrelevant to moving AC or adding alternative options.

I told you long ago they won't likely consider any system that moves AC from the lab, yet you seem to think just because you have a massive list of ideas that they all are equally as good, that simply isn't the case. I tried to help you focus on which direction to take your thread to achieve your goal, but here we are talking about irrelevant factors and a ton of ideas that simply aren't good. You have people posting that dislike the lab, that act like fools talking about being a fucking hot dog racist. Its like you are getting trolled by your own people.

"
Hypothesis : For a moment lets completely defy reality and assume that indeed there is only a very small part of the community that dislikes the labyrinth and we are just being vocal. Why there is literally NO DATA revealed on labyrinth numbers? You know like the one from the second week of ascendancy that was released a while ago and showed how little people actually cared about labyrinth. Or are they afraid it is a bad marketing move to show how bad their project is actually going and they are trying to save face? If they are indeed as proud as Chris claimed on the podcast about the labyrinth why are they not showing us the numbers that justify their stance?

There is far too many pages in this post or I would go and count each individual user thats posted in this thread and see how many it is, if I had to guess its no more then 20 that dislike the lab, given the fact that this thread has been bumped every single day, that really isn't a lot. But this is only a guess, if you find out there is more (by actually documenting the users, both pro and for the change) then I will accept that information.

They don't have to show you anything, they don't release numbers lightly, a lot of the information on numbers they release is detrimental to discussions and the playerbase in general most of the time. People still use the numbers that were released regarding the player ratio of standard, temp sc, temp hc and perm hc all the time, which was release back in nemesis I think.

Again you bashing the project or the devs don't help you achieve your goal, I'd suggest you stop doing it, but then again I've already done it and you've ignored that advice.

"
Btw something rather interesting that came in my mind the other day is the fact that at the poll that is linked in the OP at this time there are 1200+votes casted. In the official GGG vote a while ago regarding the 2week flashback there were nearly 10k+ votes. Makes the unofficial poll quite more representatitive of the actual situation.

No it doesn't. Just because the numbers are 1\10th of what the turnout was for the GGG poll doens't mean its an actual representation of the playerbase. Think about it, GGG made a post regarding the poll on the announcement forums along with a steam community post and likely on facebook as well (didnt check), people that voted in that poll, just like almost all polls are going to be ones that actually have interest in the topic. Second one is in a poll made in the feedback and suggestion forums, that are mostly negative or "constructive" feedback of players dissatisfied with some part of the game. So naturally that is going to attract players that feel negatively towards the game. We've discussed this before on how these polls mean nothing as they arent a representation of the playerbase, but a representation of a subset of players.

"
At this point im seriously considering forming a petition regarding the matter. Even better i suggest GGG makes one when they also realease some labyrinth data/info.

Yeah because we know petitions do shit, get real dude, your post is literally a QQ about many aspects of the lab, instead of focusing on what you really want your all over the place.

--------------------------------------

"
the challenges and the lab resulted in hc temp player migrating to sc temp league which means they drain the playerbase force them out of their comfort zone

Who migrated from HC to SC? Don't you think other factors play a part in this as well, such as the fact that the leagues are no longer different at all between HC\SC, its just perm death vs non perm death. This factor (not the lab) has me considering playing SC this next league, instead of HC. The thing pushing it over the edge is I have a IRL friend that likes the game, but I don't have the ability to play with him if I play in HC, as he won't play in HC.

As for the flashback, the event being held during the last weeks of the league really wasn't ideal. I would likely play in an event that didn't compete with a league, I know someone in my guild pushed to 100 in that time and another likely going to push as well, they simply divided the HC playerbase by having it during the league, even if the leagues do die down a lot. As for the chat not moving, that really has to do with a lot more then the lab, I would say this is largely do to the fact that in perandus you just went whatever 1 build you wanted and once you were set you no longer had to trade.

"
its a really weird marketing move they have havoc and etup zeno and phox and some others who promote the game on twich nonstop

Etup and phox play other games. Don't really watch zeno, except for podcast because I dont really have a choice if I want to hear Chris or any of the devs. But not sure what your point is here.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Last edited by goetzjam on May 25, 2016, 11:26:05 AM
"
Regulator wrote:
If they are indeed as proud as Chris claimed on the podcast about the labyrinth why are they not showing us the numbers that justify their stance?

It doesn't have to be popular for them to be proud of it. They've claimed many times that they're making their perfect game, not our perfect game. Chris said 'Divisive content is ok'. The better question is: Is he right?
he is wrong, I think he is not to able to understand what is good and what is bad for this game.
IGN: SeaLaser
Sea Builds, Characters, Shops, Links & Records:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/972683/
"
RoyalStar wrote:
he is wrong, I think he is not to able to understand what is good and what is bad for this game.

Yeah its not like the decisions he and his staff has made has lead them to be in this good financial postion and an ever increasing playerbase. Yeah that totally isn't happening /s

Sometimes I wonder how people can make such statements with literally nothing to back it up. Don't mistake your personal opinion for reality.

FeelsBadMan

"
innervation wrote:
"
Regulator wrote:
If they are indeed as proud as Chris claimed on the podcast about the labyrinth why are they not showing us the numbers that justify their stance?

It doesn't have to be popular for them to be proud of it. They've claimed many times that they're making their perfect game, not our perfect game. Chris said 'Divisive content is ok'. The better question is: Is he right?

There is indeed truth on your comment, but that was a long time ago, since then they have made many compromises to keep the playerbase happy too (nerfs to a4 monsters, loot filter, loot allocation, kaom/shavrones itemlevel drops, general monster nerfs, bloodline mods nerfs, HC player revivals etc). They have made a much easier game as time passes by from their initial design and ive been here long enough to witness those changes.

Though you pose a very good question. I cant know if he is right i dont have their data (wish i had though). To be honest it might be from a marketing point of view, negative advertising is still advertising no matter how you see it. But the other economics rule also apply : its easier to retain a customer than gaining a new one, because customer acquisition costs 2-3 times more money than customer retention. That is if those hating on the lamebyrinth and GGG's choices towards that direction stoped supporting/are beggining to quit the game.
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
"
Regulator wrote:
"
innervation wrote:
"
Regulator wrote:

There is indeed truth on your comment, but that was a long time ago, since then they have made many compromises to keep the playerbase happy too (nerfs to a4 monsters, loot filter, loot allocation, kaom/shavrones itemlevel drops, general monster nerfs, bloodline mods nerfs, HC player revivals etc). They have made a much easier game as time passes by from their initial design and ive been here long enough to witness those changes.

Though you pose a very good question. I cant know if he is right i dont have their data (wish i had though). To be honest it might be from a marketing point of view, negative advertising is still advertising no matter how you see it. But the other economics rule also apply : its easier to retain a customer than gaining a new one, because customer acquisition costs 2-3 times more money than customer retention. That is if those hating on the lamebyrinth and GGG's choices towards that direction stoped supporting/are beggining to quit the game.

Are you just ignoring my post now?

FeelsBadMan

I am actually all for making the game more difficult. When I was playing in the flashback event I thought that is how the baseline game should be. Lots of encounter variety and a decent amount of danger depending on your build etc. It felt more like what I expect from an aarpg, mobs with depth and needing to be aware of your surroundings.

That being said I am not a fan of the Labyrinth in as much as it saps the enjoyment out of the game for me. The boss fights are fine if a little skewed toward certain defenses but the slog of getting through the entirety of it is just boring as hell in my opinion. I just want to clarify that that is what I am expressing here, only my opinion, but I hope this is the correct forum for it.

The enchantments are great but I am not putting myself through the drudgery of the lab for it, nor will I run it over and over for a specific helm enchant, it's like trying to win the lottery. I would if the lab weren't such an unmitigated chore for me, but really I just run for the points and stop. Any time I set myself up to run a lab I have a moment of 'maybe I should just turn the game off and go some other time.' The opposite is true if I get a high level map I want to run that thing now... and still get disappointed when it bricks but hey I had fun on the way to disappointment. I've never stopped 1/3 of the way through a map and asked myself if it is worth it to me to continue because I am bored already. I'm not going to ask that you make it shorter because then it really isn't a labyrinth is it, but maybe make it a bit more fun.

I guess if I would give my input for making the lab better it would be, for me :

1 Make the lab more difficult in terms of mobs. Add a few of the flashback mechanics in there, spice it up.

2 Have keys to progress through the lab but have them drop from sub bosses along the way, like Argus. Add more if you like. I'd roll my eyes a lot less if I ran onto a golden door if I knew I had a fight on my hands instead of playing hopscotch over flaming vents etc until I get to the chest in about the same layout each time. Golden door with Argus in relief on it, or a wyvern sub boss etc... that means you find and kill that sub boss. Give the different bosses different damage types/mechanics like the harvest area.

3 Traps that when triggered add unique/rare mobs to the lab or to sub boss areas. Traps are bleh, way too binary an element, traps with consequences that add more potential loot/exp to the lab is what I would like to see. You have that in Darkshrines but you actually choose whether to click on them. Pop another unique or aura rare into that Argus or other sub boss fight and you have a party. Have the trap close the doors to the room you are in and release a difficult mob in there with you, you get the idea. I don't like traps for damage sake as much as I like them altering the game play of the aarpg, it makes them less platformer and more 'trap triggered, here is more madness in your face".

4 The ability to select a subset of enchantments to roll from. I would like Mine/trap enchants, click, oh well I didn't get the right one this time but I may actually some day.

Anyway that is my wall of text. Just a few thoughts from a non game developer that I am sure will read as silly to someone who knows what they are doing. I just wanted to try and get my cents out there. I really enjoy the game as a whole and if you feel like this is the price I have to pay for enjoying the rest than that's fine of course, it's your game. I'll just marginalize this part as much as I can. If the endgame lab turns out to be a rng disaster and I don't get all 6 in my time playing then It doesn't change my build or anything that was there before. I can still comfortably play the game and enjoy myself. The enchants aren't going to make the difference between me being able to clear high end maps and neither will the 2 ascendancy points really so whatever you do, I support you.
Last edited by jasonbgnh on May 25, 2016, 1:30:10 PM
"
ventiman wrote:

those guys play hc thats how they attract their audience every death means viewer standard streamer can never pull the same numbers

anyone who played the last 5 days of flashback hc could see trade/1 wasnt moving at all

if this continues it will have a bad influence on the game and twich promotion you cant promote a game with multiple league modes if they are ghosttowns

ps wtf itzaro isnt the problem here a naked bladefall miner can oneshot hi without him doing any action at all making it possible that a 85+ can die in a lvl 10 zone (lag dc whatever) is just plain bad design

This is very interesting input. I mean, I've seen some of the most upset posts coming from HC players. It would be extremely interesting to see a comparison of HC vs SC percentages now versus pre-labyrinth. I'm sure that GGG has those numbers. If it's as bad as you indicate then the crisis may be bigger than I thought.

"
goetzjam wrote:
"
RoyalStar wrote:

Yeah its not like the decisions he and his staff has made has lead them to be in this good financial postion and an ever increasing playerbase. Yeah that totally isn't happening /s

Sometimes I wonder how people can make such statements with literally nothing to back it up. Don't mistake your personal opinion for reality.

The epitome of irony!
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
They had a spike for one season because they practically gave power full uniques away this season. People got to play builds they never will again and played longer.

Based on comments and what they are saying this will not happen again (which I agree with) but that is why people played longer. The numbers at the end of the season were the same.

One side effect was that since damage was insane and people were in OP gear, the Labs were more tolerable for the casual player.

That will not be the case next season when the drop rate is closer to what it should be. Something has to give. It seems dumb to make a harder gate and nerf overall player power.

If dieing in the Lab was fun, I could see it. But most of the people here QQing arent even failing at it, they just hate it anyway.

If you fail at it you have to do it more and if you hate it when you succeed .......

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info