why is the tcp timeout still 6 sec after all these times?

I hated d3's 10 second rule of not logging out because if my ISP has a hiccups, my char will surely be dead on HC. But why is there a 6 sec timeout rule for disconnect for PoE when there is no logout restriction? I can understand a timeout is needed from a technical perspective, but why 6 second? Nobody, even in SC, would play PoE with more than 1k ping, don't even mention 6k ping. the 6 sec rule basically dictates that to survive on HC, it doesn't matter how skillful you are or how good your build is, if you can't survive a 6 sec facetank, or have a perfect internet, you might as well be dead.

Please GGG, enlighten me on the decision of 6 sec tcp timeout rule.

and yes I'm salty that out of the 10 deaths I have had on HC for the past year, only 1 is a legitimate death where I made a mistake.
/forum/view-thread/869543 all my builds' compilation
Please PM me on forum to inform me if I won an auction. Thank you.
Last edited by abcnever on Feb 15, 2016, 11:07:25 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Agree, if it wasn´t 6 sec but like 1, I could have 1 100 on hardcore more and couple other high level characters at least :-) Even that 1 second could be dangerous at some times especially on content like Atziri/Uber Atziri and couple bosses like crematorium, torture chamber etc..
"
Agree, if it wasn´t 6 sec but like 1, I could have 1 100 on hardcore more and couple other high level characters at least :-) Even that 1 second could be dangerous at some times especially on content like Atziri/Uber Atziri and couple bosses like crematorium, torture chamber etc..

No you wouldn't if it was one second all it would do is provide you with dozens if not hundreds more DC's and ultimately death, plus there IS stuff the game needs to do before you are logged out fully which takes time
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"

No you wouldn't if it was one second all it would do is provide you with dozens if not hundreds more DC's and ultimately death, plus there IS stuff the game needs to do before you are logged out fully which takes time

Excuse me, mr Lagwin, but I will have you know that I play A LOT of Battlefield and LOL, and stream 4k youtube videos.

I'm not entirely sure how that factors into this conversation, but I just thought I better let you know.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"

Excuse me, mr Lagwin, but I will have you know that I play A LOT of Battlefield and LOL, and stream 4k youtube videos.

I'm not entirely sure how that factors into this conversation, but I just thought I better let you know.

Don't bother lol
R.I.P 4.B.
"
abcnever wrote:
why is there a 6 sec timeout rule for disconnect for PoE when there is no logout restriction?

it has nothing to do with your normal ping, it has to do with the unreliability of internet connections on some parts of the world.

in the context of "logout restrictions", "logging out" means, your game client's logout-packet reaches the server and the server takes your char out of the instance immediately. there could be a timeout until the server takes your char out for gameplay reasons but poe doesn't do so.

the logout timer in question is the time span, the server waits for the next keep-alive packet or a packet which contains some command after he received one.

if there is none, either the client got disconnected and couldn't close the connection properly or some router between you and the server just had a hiccup.

there is no way the server can find out if either of those actions happened. tcp/ip is a stateless connection which means both ends can only find out the other end is still connected by receiving packets from them.

if the server would close connections faster, it would cause alot of more disconnections for those players who have a bad internet connection from time to time because they live in unforunate areas or play over wireless but would leave their chars in the instance for the (shorter) duration, causing annoying gameplay interruptions.

ggg said, the 6 seconds timeout is a compromise they formed over watching timeouts from their experience to not disconnect too many players too often.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Feb 16, 2016, 10:26:39 AM
"
vio wrote:
if the server would close connections faster, it would cause alot of more disconnections for those players who have a bad internet connection from time to time because they live in unforunate areas or play over wireless but would leave their chars in the instance for the (shorter) duration, causing gameplay annoying gameplay interruptions.

ggg said, the 6 seconds timeout is a compromise they formed over watching timeouts from their experience to not disconnect too many players too often.

not having much problems, but still... I don't get why there is no option to set up the timer to users choice. if someone values fast logout higher than a stable game uptime... that's his concern. I hate infantilizing in such cases...
Have a problem with something I said? PM goetzjam don't derail a thread.
'There's plenty that needs to change. And back in my day we had real game devs.' - TheAnuhart
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on February 30, 2016 0:61 PM

Help Charan color the board - use [u color] to make your posts shine.
"
vio wrote:
if the server would close connections faster, it would cause alot of more disconnections for those players who have a bad internet connection from time to time because they live in unforunate areas or play over wireless but would leave their chars in the instance for the (shorter) duration, causing gameplay annoying gameplay interruptions.

Living in a region that does have mediocre internet, I would MUCH prefer to be disconnected a few more times over an excessively long 6 second logout timer.

Better yet would be if it was configurable.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
kcstar wrote:

I don't get why there is no option to set up the timer to users choice. if someone values fast logout higher than a stable game uptime...

could surely be implemented.

the client itself could set the default 6 seconds after a fresh install and optimize the value down to 2 if there are no server disconnections for a longer period of time.

the value could be reset to 6 after a disconnect.
the problem i see is not of a technical nature, it's more a moral one: "why giving players with good connections a higher chance to survive ingame?".

from the individual point of view, players naturally want to get the most out of it and take every advantage they can get over others.

from the game pov it's quite different: "how to motivate as much players as possible to play the game".

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info