Let me dispel some of your illusions about auction houses.

"
To be clear, my argument is for no AH at all.
If an AH appeared, suddenly each greedy RMTer would have dozens, hundreds or thousands of snipe bot accounts running non stop. The game would suffer a WORSE problem of 'haves' and 'have-nots' than it does already. The game would need to be adjusted (gear check/less drops) to account for what the 'haves' can do in terms of breaking it.

Eventually, only bots would remain actually 'playing' the game.

AH = RIP PoE

Well just discussing out my experiences and generally all the things you need to look out for when designing any in-game trading system period.
I just wish people that list their items with procurement and stuff would actually check their PMs or get in game every once in a while. I currently have 10 or so people who I have PMd to bin their items and have added them in game, yet I haven't seen a single one of them in game in over a week. Even with that being said I would NEVER want to see an automated system put in place in PoE.
"
Hackusations wrote:
So it is unlikely to reduce the need for 3rd party programs and while it might make listing items for sale easier this in turn will increase competition making it harder to make a sale thus driving the market towards more and more active undercutting. Prices for everything but the most scarce items will plummet devaluing the average wealth generation from drops.

So items will be readily available to purchase at a very affordable price?
So you think that I won't be able to sell any items, just like I currently cant???

Wow, thanks for explaining how AH will improve everything in standard league geatly for me and my friends that I just invited to play with me!!!

SHIT, even I don't know if I'll still be playing this game after i try out wanders, when my items are usually worth about 1ex or lower and I'll have to grind for days in order to be even close to purchasing a very minor upgrade...
"
Tactical wrote:
I just wish people that list their items with procurement and stuff would actually check their PMs or get in game every once in a while. I currently have 10 or so people who I have PMd to bin their items and have added them in game, yet I haven't seen a single one of them in game in over a week. Even with that being said I would NEVER want to see an automated system put in place in PoE.

This is one of the most retarded features of the current system. I have about 4-5 actual friends in my in-game "friend" list and about 30-40 people added for trade purposes. I have to log in every night of the week after work TO NOT PLAY THE GAME and just see if any of them fuckers happen to be online at the time. Maybe in 1-2 weeks time I'll have bought that wand I need an a few jewels for the wand build that I'm planning, but I sure as hell won't have sold ANY of the items I have in my stash...
I love OP for being a classic AH basher while not taking into account these things:

A) orb currency is consumable with a built in bonus "lottery ticket" mechanic.

B) uniquely rolled multimod rares exist which can't be given a general price tag, but are sold on demand, based on builds (almost infinite variation thus unpredictable market value)

C) items aren't static but consumable and corruptable

D) countless technical ways and methods to regulate users that try to buy bulk and flip a profit.

To mention a few, for example track the amounts of orbs bought/sold compared to real use.
Then give users metascores based on their total amount of chars, clvl average, playtime, monsterkills, etc., granting them a "human vs AH-bot" rating, apply transparency to the platform and let nature take its course.
The community will sort itself out, because if bots take over and the inflation hits the AH for some reason, they can only blame themself, and since they see who is trading for profit, they will simply stop doing business with them to fix the market.

But nice "AH is bad" bait effort 5/7

"Im smartest. Your stoped. Dael wiht it."
Last edited by Quantume on Feb 4, 2016, 9:00:37 AM
"
ivkoto77777 wrote:
Tactical
This is one of the most retarded features of the current system. I have about 4-5 actual friends in my in-game "friend" list and about 30-40 people added for trade purposes. I have to log in every night of the week after work TO NOT PLAY THE GAME and just see if any of them fuckers happen to be online at the time. Maybe in 1-2 weeks time I'll have bought that wand I need an a few jewels for the wand build that I'm planning, but I sure as hell won't have sold ANY of the items I have in my stash...
Well, one feature GGG has already promised for Ascendancy is accurate online/offline status through web API (which means: poe.trade actually says offline people are offline).

I think the next thing GGG should work on is forum PM forwarding to email or text. I think forwarding to email should be on by default, with an option to turn if off; SMS would obviously need to be set up before use. This would give that guy with the "wand you need" a heads-up that maybe someone wants him to log back in again, although if he's done with the league no one can force him to return.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 4, 2016, 9:07:38 AM
i remember d3 auction house was great for getting good cheap gear as an buyer but ah was such a big factor in the game to suck since d3 adjusted droprates on a daily basis to manipulate sales to make a profit for them self . blizzard really are a greaady company putting their greed as nr 1 priority instead of making a great game. d3 is great now though.

i also remember in particular gem flipping was really disguisting to thee economy. good legendaries was supercheap and it was not really any point playing the game once you reached max level atr the time it was level 60 before paragon was implemented. eventhough the current trading system we have now is not the best it doesn't destroy the game in such way a ah would do if it was ingame. to be honest i dont even bother with having a shop because i rather play the game instead more fun imo. droprates could perhaps be slightly better though because i feel i have to buy stuff at poetrade to progress in the game.
"
ivkoto77777 wrote:
"
Hackusations wrote:
So it is unlikely to reduce the need for 3rd party programs and while it might make listing items for sale easier this in turn will increase competition making it harder to make a sale thus driving the market towards more and more active undercutting. Prices for everything but the most scarce items will plummet devaluing the average wealth generation from drops.

So you think that I won't be able to sell any items, just like I currently cant???

Wow, thanks for explaining how AH will improve everything in standard league geatly for me and my friends that I just invited to play with me!!!

SHIT, even I don't know if I'll still be playing this game after i try out wanders, when my items are usually worth about 1ex or lower and I'll have to grind for days in order to be even close to purchasing a very minor upgrade...

Sigh... this is why I made this thread.

Standard is the way it is precisely because what you grind and farm for has to compete against years and years of stockpiled gear and currency. An AH will only make this more extreme because it will further increase item competition via accessible listing and asynchronous trade.

Think of it this way. If an AH were to drop the value of items you might want for upgrade then it would also drop the value of items you farm for to generate that same wealth. So your stuck trying to generate the same portion of wealth only as the items become more scarce their prices won't fall making your wealth generation disproportionately smaller and the items less affordable.
"
ivkoto77777 wrote:
"
Hackusations wrote:

You'll never have that problem if you use the filter for online only. You just have to be fine with getting something currently available instead of getting something better that's not currently available.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
All those problems are preventable, though, Hackusations.

If you want the simplest, brute force example imaginable then they can just use a condition in the style of the "corrupted flag" for items that make it so that once an item has been traded, it can never be traded again. You'd have to figure out how the flag would need to affect various transformations or vendor recipes (disqualify, persist, vanish, etc.), but this just a crude, off the top of my head example to show that designers can impose whatever limits they feel are necessary in order to meet their goals.

GGG seem to have a really strong sense of what they don't want to do with trade, and that's great, but I sure wish they'd decide what they are happy to allow and build it into the game already. Even if they're entirely happy with the limited, ad hoc, poor man's AH that results from using acquisition in combination with poe trade, and cannot imagine any way in which it could possibly be improved (and I doubt that), then it'd save a lot of people a lot of hassle if they'd just build those functionalities into the client.
I'm Chimerical Jim. Softcore. Hardcore. Manticore.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info