Let me dispel some of your illusions about auction houses.

it would be pretty easy to implement a trade system that is useful for players, but not for traders/flippers etc. It seems thats not the developers goal. oh well...
Smh @ the original post.

Im not even going to.. Because its just not worth it.

Note, if you needed 3rd party apps just to monitor undercutting (which you should have foreseen anyway) you aren't as savvy a trader as you think you are.

I seriously wonder about some of you.
I'm just so glad Chris said there would never be an auction house in POE
"
diablofdb wrote:
I'm just so glad Chris said there would never be an auction house in POE

Yup, Developing and maintaining an AH would take man hours away from techs who maintain the game and develop new content. Smart move by GGG to avoid one. A trade system rework would be good because it could be self sustaining after initiation, but an AH would be a terrible mistake.
"
Boem wrote:
What people actually want/request is a no-interaction buy-out platform.

Which already exist's.

And it's already warping the game as is, for the worse in my opinion but that's subjective.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : @entropic i am talking about people playing the game GGG designed. Which actively participate in both fields.

Not talking about people who play under their own rule-sets and sub-sequentially are not having an optimized PoE experience.

...GGG hasn't designed any trade though. I mean, unless you count "you can trade" as design. Which, considering it's the staple for ARPG, I don't.

AHAHAHA! HA! You think that.

HAHA! That trading is fun!

HAHAHA!

HA! AND THAT PEOPLE ARE MISSING OUT FOR NOT LIKING TO DO IT!
People think the more conveniance the better. But thats not always the case.
Just look at Vanilla D3, when thousands of people of people filled the AH with items. It was so easy to get something instantly for a decent price. When you have acess to so much gear, the odds of you finding just as good items is very very low.
D3 basically became a trading sim.

Yes its a bit of a hassel to trade, but that means people trade less often then they would if there was a AH.
Which also mean less fucked up prices.
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 5:30:13 PM
"
Smh @ the original post.

Im not even going to.. Because its just not worth it.

Note, if you needed 3rd party apps just to monitor undercutting (which you should have foreseen anyway) you aren't as savvy a trader as you think you are.

I seriously wonder about some of you.

It is a good thing you didn't because you would have looked extremely foolish given you obviously have no idea what I was talking about as it literally has nothing to do with foresight.

Let me describe to you what I was doing during busy times. I would stand at the AH doing TSM scans for re-listing and canceled auctions. I'd posts a few hundred things at new prices, cancel the old auctions that had been undercut, replace items I had sold, and then run to the mailbox to pickup what I had canceled. About 5mins later I would do this again. If I didn't then within 10-15mins everything would stop selling because it would all be undercut.

In other words if I wasn't actively canceling/re-listing auctions every few minutes nothing would sell. The only way to do this with hundreds and thousands of listings is with add-ons otherwise it would take hours to do manually. An auction house is a buyer's market, which means that sellers have to be extra competitive.
"
Entropic_Fire wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

edit : @entropic i am talking about people playing the game GGG designed. Which actively participate in both fields.

Not talking about people who play under their own rule-sets and sub-sequentially are not having an optimized PoE experience.

I think you're talking about people that use 3rd party tools like acquisition or procurement. I think you know that the majority of the player base doesn't use tools like that, and an auction house could only benefit that segment of the player base.

And xyz obviously.

I use xyz for example, but i don't use procurement, acquisition or any of those shop indexing tools.

As a result i am perfectly aware that i am penalizing my own experience of PoE.

If your playing the game as "intended" by the developers, then your participating both in the selling and buying of items.

I agree though, that if we go from this premise, the designers/developers have seriously failed in their intent to make this the norm play-style, mostly because of obscuring the trade system as a whole and
out-sourcing it.

The fact that they are unable to regulate trade to a certain extent by implementing rules on automation is a detriment to the game as a whole and precisely establishes the sort of trade the OP is referring to.

Fully automated by bot programs that fulfill the tasks of 20+ people doing non-automated searches.

This is most likely the biggest blunder of GGG. Allowing botting on the trade-centric part of the game, while disallowing it on the gameplay-centric part of the game.

You either disallow both, or allow both, since both are equally impact full on the end-user experience.

Now we have a situation where people that are willing to invest time in the trade-centric part of the game cannot compete with other users, because they lack the technical skills to do so. Technical skills that hold absolutely no relevance to the in-game environment.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
The opening post describes the current situation. The auction house, poe.trade, is already widely used, normally in conjunction with a third-party program for automatic shop thread formatting. Serious traders currently use more third-party programs than that, such as whisper-to-SMS programs or the mysterious third-party indexers.

So it's silly to pretend we're not in an auction house environment, because we really are, and it's only because it's entirely third party that some people can put the blinders on and ignore the facts.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 3, 2016, 6:05:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info