[2.1.0] - Bear trap bino's proliferation

Hello everyone, and welcome to my build guide.

This build is made around the concept of the unique dagger Bino's, and the double scaling of the trap nodes and gem. So, here are the pros and cons off the top of my head.

Pros/cons

Spoiler

Pros:
Reasonable damage output
Huge amount of regeneration on kill (immune to anything but one shots)
Can spread multiple poison stacks to bosses
Moderate amount of life (160-170%)
Powerful blasphemy'd curses (makes you decent in parties)
Bear trap scales from trap throwing speed/trap damage, so very simple to gear
Completely reflect immune

Cons:
Bino's proliferation range is rather small
Besides curses, no other major defenses
Curse immune maps and mobs
Still get affected by corrupted bloodline mobs

My gear (some is very very bad)

Spoiler

The next option for the build would be to drop the unique shield (when bear trap hits 20), replacing it with a 5 link chestpiece and possibly run hidden potential if I am running out of damage

My passive tree

Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYABAcHHgj0DR8OSA-rES8Rlha_GGoZihqPIvQkiyaVJ6kqTSsKNZI2PTpYOuE8KD1fPydBh0lRSshMs03jTm1RTFJTVUtVxlgHXEBd8l-wYeJirGSqajZqQ2qMbAtsjG0ZbqpwUXC7df12b3gvfOV9W36wf8aD24RvhMWP-pMnlS6XlZf0m4aboZu1nDKcvp2qotmlxKZXrEesmLDYtMW1SLXytz63dbzqwFTDOsgUykrUQtUu1r7YVNi92-fo1etj7BjuFfDV8kX1b_ba99f7Cf4K?accountName=theshadedone&characterName=manbearpigtrap

The way the build works

Spoiler

Whenever you throw a bear trap, that trap hits a mob and inflicts a high strength poison effect (scaling from physical, trap damage and vulnerability). Because Bino's kitchen knife only proliferates the poison on enemies YOU kill, Southbounds prevent the initial hit from killing a mob. The poison then kills the mob (that usually has 1 life remaining). Since (for some reason) damage over time inflicted by traps, totems, and mines is attributed to the player instead of the trap, totem or mine Bino's then proliferates the poison. This is the reason why players using Flame Totem will sometimes activate their herald of thunder (which is a buff that requires the player to kill an enemy). Bino's then proliferates that poison in a small radius around the dead mob, causing a chain reaction.

Some quirks with the build

Spoiler

Vulnerability: vulnerability double scales both the hit and the dot, making it extraordinarily powerful with significant curse effect.
Temporal chains: In addition to be a powerful defensive option, temporal chains also significantly increases the duration of the dot (other effects expire 61.6% slower) thanks to the curse effectiveness
Bear trap: Bear trap doesn't scale with spell, attack or elemental damage making gear requirements easier and making the skill have ludicrous base damage.

Gem Setup:

Spoiler

Temporal chains - Vulnerability - Enhance - Blasphemy
This, in combination with your 44% curse effect, is your bread and butter defensively and offensively. put this in a +1 all item if you can. It's worth noting that a catarina shield with a +1 to all gems corruption increases the level of your enhance by 2 (who the hell needs atziri's disfavour!). If you get very lucky, that'd be a better choice than Geoffrey's or the Vertex.

Bear Trap - Poison - Trap and Mine damage
This 3 link is the core damage setup. There are a number of supports you can add, listed with their strengths below

Increased duration - Increases overall damage and pin duration by alot, but requires time to work
Hypothermia - Multiplies both the hit and the dot, making this an exceptionally powerful damage support. Requires chilled ground (arctic breath gmp chain and arctic Armour would make this very easy).
Void Manipulation - Multiplies the dot. Reasonably strong, and what I'm using atm.
Rapid Decay - Similar to Void manipulation, but reduces the poison and pin duration. I'd use void Manipulation first.
Added fire - Increases our hit, but as fire damage. The fire damage cannot poison, making this solely a single target option (and a terrible one at that). Not worth it at all.

Abbysal cry/Rallying cry - Rallying cry gives significant damage and mana regen (something that is very nice to have) while Abbysal cry gives very good AOE damage (especially with increased AOE, void manipulation, and poison supporting it). Abyssal with reverse knockback would be very interesting, but the build needs the southbound gloves.

Golem - I personally chose flame golem, as the damage bonus double dips. it's worth noting that the bino's regen will heal him too!

Fill in he rest of your links and sockets with whatever you think is appropriate. Maybe a cwdt setup or something?

UPDATE!

Hey guys, I've actually stopped playing the build. Not because it doesn't work (it very much does) but because I'm a prolific theorycrafter rather than a map grinder (map drop solo suck man). This is the tree and gear the character has at the time of completion:

Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYABx4NHw5ID6sRDxEvEZYUsBa_GGoZihqPJIsmlSpNKwoxnjIYNZI2PTpYOuE7DTwoPydBh0lRSshMLU3jTm1RTFVLVcZYB1ltXEBd8l-YX7Bh4mKsZKpqNmqMbAhsjG6qb55wUXC7df12b3gvfOV9W36wgh6DCYPbhG-ExYhCj_qVLpuGm6GbtZwynL6dqqLZpcSmV6xHrJiw2LMDtMW1SLXytz63dcHFwzrIFMpKzzLUQtUu1r7YVNi92wvb5-jV62PsGO4V7-vw1fGK8kX1b_ba99f7Cf4K_o8=?accountName=theshadedone&characterName=manbearpigtrap

You can see the gems I'm using in the gear linked. I'm currently running enfeeble, temp chains, and vulnerability, all on generosity which makes the build quite the team player.
It's worth noting that the temp chains slows by 47% * 1.54 = 72.38%.
Enfeeble'd do pretty much the same thing to accuracy if I went the mile.

Video:
Short demonstration with no sound (couldn't capture my mic)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpBp6tJw9ak&feature=youtu.be

Video of a strand map (probably not much better quality, my cpu doesn't handle recording well)
Edit: connection failed. trying again :(
Edit: apparently the video has already been uploaded. wtf.
Last edited by theshadedone on Dec 31, 2015, 8:32:42 PM
Last bumped on Jun 10, 2018, 12:13:41 PM
You cleared the dried lake map so fast, you almost got me to try out your build!
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
Thanks man, I've tried to get another video up but my internet isn't great on weekends. It clears the same way up to about 75 maps, then slows down a fair bit.

Using more than a 4 link would probably help with that though :P
using your build right now, it's fking op i gotta say..

clears so freaking fast!

kudos to you for coming up with this, really great

__
instead of using bear trap in the shield i used it in a 6L instead linked with added chaos damage, it's working really good too
Last edited by jackyan on Dec 20, 2015, 8:01:55 PM
First I don't even know bear trap can trigger on hit effect.

Second bear trap hits is your hits like Southbound works, but bear trap kills aren't your kills.

I'm so confused.

Last edited by greenhand on Dec 22, 2015, 4:40:04 AM
This build has a good concept, very simple to use and powerfull, can be improved with Abyssal Cry. The combo can seems cool: Abyssal Cry + Bear Trap = massive damage and go to next pack. The problem is the Bino. :(
Guides made by me:
Unnamed's CoC CI Discharge Trickster, Tankster BV MoM Poison, Saboquisitor MoM Pure Cold damage with Hrimburn, Trickster Critical Flameblast
What do you recommend doing for the bandits?
For bandits it depends on where you go with the build.

My approach stacked curse effectiveness for the hit damage, dot damage, duration, and defense from temporal chains and vulnerability, but that really isn't necessary to make use of the bear trap southbound interaction.

If you weren't going for the curse effectiveness, and therefore had more passives free, I would definitely get the frenzy charge at shadow and ranger.

In that case, the build would get oak, passive, kraityn for the 6th charge and a little more life.

It's worth noting that since frenzy charges double dip, those six charges would take a 20k dot to a 30k dot (mine is about 20k per second atm).

I went for a more defensive approach, so I went oak, passive, passive.

The reason I didn't take the physical damage in cruel is because I tried very hard to spec only into things that would double dip my damage, but it is also an option.

Abyssal cry is something I used an awful lot of to level, and would love to use in combination with the reverse knockback gloves for a psuedo aoe increase to the bino's effect, but unfortunately I'm stuck with southbounds. It does do very good damage however, and if I find myself needing more aoe clear (I haven't) I would go back to using it.

With regards to the Southbounds Vs Bino's discussion:

It appears as though on hit effects are transferred to your traps, while on kill effects are not.

This is because of on hit effects such as culling strike, which thematically need to work with totems and traps, while on kill effects such as life gain on kill need to be attributed to the totem/trap for the life gain to occur. Basically, traps inherit my hits, but I don't inherit their kills.

Edit: replaced the word minions with traps
Last edited by theshadedone on Dec 25, 2015, 6:43:32 PM
bump cuz this build is awesome
"
theshadedone wrote:
I would definitely get the frenzy charge at shadow and ranger.

Frenzy charges with traps? Please elaborate. Last time I check the only way you get frenzy charges with traps is by using Doedre's Elixir and that's too much micromanagement imo.
Last edited by gtrans on Dec 25, 2015, 3:43:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info