[2.4 essence league] Poison Vortex (Blade Vortex)

Change Log:

Spoiler

12/16 - Added a test video

12/17 - added bandits

12/18 - Added new video w/ commentary.

12/19 - added new gear and Flasks, added acro and crit variant trees and flask explanations.

12/30 - Added bino's/proliferation

01/05 - removed Bino's Prolif (doesn't work anymore due to poison stack bug fix)

01/05 - added controlled destruction over faster casting.

09/17/2016 - added 2.4 tree - crit based - rebuild the leveling area of the guide.

So, originally my talisman character was going to be a chaos build. Around level 30, because of how much more i was using blade vortex and because of how much more fun it felt then the chaos skills i decided to respec part of my tree so that I was physical instead of chaos. Around level 50 I started experimenting with different support gem setups with one particular support gem really blowing me away in terms of damage and utility and that would be the poison gem.

The concept behind this build is rather simple, using the duration nodes in the scion tree, some decent cast speed on the tree and gear, you are able to achieve 40-50 blades in a very short period of time while standing still and are able to sustain 35-40 while running around a zone. Also because of the shadow phys/chaos starting nodes you are able to double dip your damage on both the poison and main hit part of the spell. With the way that poison works, you turn the first 10% of those 40-50 per sec physical hits (and chaos damage hits which come from the passive nodes) into a damage over time component which stacks indefinitely. This makes it so that your character can easily deal with single target minions as well as just pass through normal minions and keep running with out having to worry about finishing them off.

Edit: So I took quite a bit of time off of this character recently because I found a voltaxic and wanted to play a bow character (Blast Rain is crazy strong). I came back, swapped my Faster casting for Controlled destruction and was able to down Atziri at level 83. I will try to get a video of an atziri run up at some point, I want to get better gear before then.

Edit for 2.4: Forget Bino's for this build and consuming dark as well, both don't really do much for you. Divinarius is probably the best choice for a unique weapon for this build simply because it gives you the bonuses that Carcass jack would without having to get a carcass jack. I'm not sure how viable leveling this build is anymore but BV is very strong as a leveling tool overall. The new tree is less than optimized and could certainly have a few tweaks on it.

Pros/Cons

Spoiler

Pros:
- Lots of Natural damage
- Uses chaos and Physical so you don't have to worry about reflect so much
- Is a ton of fun to play
- The poison stacking allows you to dip in and out of crowds of monsters at will while sustaining your damage
- Double dips and fully utilizes the shadow phys/chaos starting nodes
- extremely cheap to get running (can be self found/budget as hell and still get 40k dps)
- get to be a flying saucer of doom
-(doesn't work anymore) a bino's in the offhand can make you a monster// Bino's no longer passes multiple stacks to enemies.
- Is Atziri viable with the right gear.

Cons:
- Plays like a melee character so a decent amount of defense is needed
- Thorns absolutely wreck you
- can lag your screen on a lower end computer
- blade vortex takes some getting used to
- can not play curse immune maps
- has trouble on Phys reflect maps (not a problem once you acquire IR and have enough armor though)
- Cant be a tool-tip warrior (tool tip doesn't show the real damage)

Current gear @ 84
Spoiler

Bandits:
Spoiler

Normal: Oak
Cruel: Kill all
Merc: Kill All; (power charge if going for crit)

new 2.4 passive tree - assassin crit based

Spoiler

My current gem setups are as follows:
Spoiler

Blade Vortex -> Spell echo -> controlled Destruction -> poison -> added chaos -> added fire/increased duration

Blasphemy -> warlords mark, Hatred

Whirling blades -> fortify -> faster attacks

Flame Golem -> minion life

tempest shield -> vaal haste -> Increased Duration

CWDT -> Immortal call -> increased duration, rallying cry

bloodrage (optional)

Because I chose not to run EB/ZO/MoM, Immortal call, rallying cry and warlords mark are great for defensive reasons with warlords mark giving you a nice amount of leech for both mana and life.

Leveling Guide:

Spoiler

Note on gems to level with:

You can find efficient leveling guides elsewhere for general choices in skills and clear speed. Personally, i leveled with Firetrap + Contagion until I got blade vortex. Once I obtained blade vortex i linked it to faster casting and started mowing down mobs with it and fire trap. At 38 I got echo and found a poison support gem and made a 4l (you can clear pretty fast as a 3l with just faster casting and echo). You can also use bladefall + Conc effect + echo (the aoe is huge on that skill even with out any aoe and with conc effect) for fast pack clearing until you get some duration and AoE nodes to support your blade vortex.

The first 20 points are just finishing out the shadow tree

20 points
https://goo.gl/Pw60RL

Fourty points in you start to move down towards the scion area

40 points
https://goo.gl/P529uE

60 points in grab duration and go up the scion life tree

60 points
https://goo.gl/qk6V6o

At 80 points go get templar and the aoe nodes.

80 points
https://goo.gl/RD4jhG

At 102 points you should have most of the witch and grab acrobatics.

102 points
https://goo.gl/yZZZIi

From here you can pick up vaal pact and start grabbing crit damage nodes. You become rather tanky once you get Acro and phase acro and you should be mowing things down rather easily.

Videos:
Spoiler

Tropic Island (test) Run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFBZIr7_4zE&feature=youtu.be No commentary

Wharf run - with Commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1rC3H_WCZo&feature=youtu.be

Sorry, my commentary is pretty quiet. I'm using a pretty banged up microphone to record all of this. Ill try to get the levels more even for the next video.

2.4 guide
https://goo.gl/tgHqnl

Last edited by draakisback on Sep 17, 2016, 3:12:33 PM
Last edited by Lewwer on Dec 13, 2015, 11:30:20 AM
i was also thinking of something like this , tho i feel going crit is not necessarily because of the so many ways you can increase the damage , im currently playing around with the passive tree i will see what i come up with ,waiting for your progress and notes , keep it up .
so you running armor then?

also do you use spell dmg increase weapons or something else?
I'm using vortex and poison too, I took the fatal toxins node for 125% poison damage is that a good choice? i also got phase acrobatics.
"
ceasar23 wrote:
i was also thinking of something like this , tho i feel going crit is not necessarily because of the so many ways you can increase the damage , im currently playing around with the passive tree i will see what i come up with ,waiting for your progress and notes , keep it up .

Yeah you're right, crit is not necessary, i specced out of the little i had and basically went over to Templar for the AoE nodes and its much more efficient.

"
Rufus66 wrote:
I'm using vortex and poison too, I took the fatal toxins node for 125% poison damage is that a good choice? i also got phase acrobatics.

I'm not using acro but yeah if you used acro and pathed near fatal toxins i don't see why you wouldn't take it. I dont really think you need it however when using the poison support because of how strong it is anyhow but it would be a nice way to scale some of the damage.

"
ravensshade wrote:
so you running armor then?

also do you use spell dmg increase weapons or something else?

I'm not running Armour, I'm running evasion/es and will get iron reflexes which converts the evasion into armour. I still have yet to pick up the iron reflexes node, but i plan to to see how much more tanky it makes me. Spell damage increases the damage of the vortex blades which in turn increases the damage of the poison effect. I'm running calculations on how much damage each component does with my current setup and will add it to the main post when i'm finished so that people will know what stat priorities there are for this build.
Last edited by draakisback on Dec 13, 2015, 9:01:05 PM
You can calculate the poison as a factor of the damage done by the attack.

If we assume 200% increased damage to Chaos/DoT/Poison(just the poison gem and starting shadow nodes) then the poison ticks for 30% of the damage dealt by the hit every second for a base of 2 seconds that appears to get affected by increased duration nodes on the tree. so with 90% on your tree it makes the poison 3.8 seconds for a total of 114% increased damage assuming the DOTs tick their full duration.

But we can take this a step further and show how much of an increase it is based on how long the enemy is alive. Without getting too deep in the math, If an enemy is alive for:
1 second you are getting 15% more damage from poison
2 seconds you are getting 30% more damage
3 seconds you are getting 45% more damage
3.8 seconds you are getting 57% more damage

Any time above 3.8 follows a complex function resulting in a limit that approaches 114% more damage as you go longer time.

In regards to your 5th link, I'd chose either Controlled Destruction, Increased Duration, or Added Chaos much before I would Added Fire damage.

Controlled Destruction is possibly much stronger than intended for non crit spell builds because of the 5% crit floor. Using controlled destruction is almost as strong on tooltip dps as Spell Echo but factors into 100% of the damage it's doing rather than just the initial.

Increased Duration if you want to keep up higher stacks for longer while going between packs.

Added chaos damage makes +chaos damage on the tree double dip for the chaos and poison parts along, but I haven't tested the damage gains and whether it's worth it at 15% damage effectiveness
snip

Level 20 Blade Vortex average damage: 67.5
Physical damage and AoE damage increase passives: 265%
Chaos damage increase from passives 86%
Poison damage increase from gem 120%

Edit: saw the post above me who took into account the increased duration, going from 2 to 3.8 seconds is going to easily double your initial damage. insane.

Double edit: just saw OP edited his post with the same info i just posted here... so yeah
Last edited by XxXMemeloverxXx on Dec 14, 2015, 2:28:23 AM
"
I thought about doing a build like this, but according to https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1490389 its only 10% of the damage dealt per second for 2 seconds. It doesn't actually seem like all that much so I decided to crunch some numbers and heres what I got.

Level 20 Blade Vortex average damage: 67.5
Physical damage and AoE damage increase passives: 265%

67.5 x (1.0 + 2.65) = 246.375 average damage per hit of blade vortex

Linked to a Level 20 Poison support gem

246.375 x .2 = 49.275 is your base poison damage (technically half of this number but it is two ticks over two seconds so whatever)

Chaos damage increase from passives 86%
Poison damage increase from gem 120%

49.275 x (1.0 + 1.2 + .86) = 150.752 chaos damage

If you dropped some points from somewhere else put them into fatal toxin instead...

49.275 x (1.0 + 1.2 + .86 + 1.25) = 212.375 chaos damage

That is 86.2% extra damage(didn't include the 5% extra chaos from force shaper) without any items. Sounds pretty good. However I'm not so sure how effective the build will since you're really all over the tree and using up all but 6 points. This means you will probably lack hp/defense at some point. Aiming for levels 70-80 and seeing how the build will work from there is a good starting point for a skilltree from what I've learned from other people's builds.

Of course, this is all coming from a person who has not made a successful build to date(whether it was bad rng or otherwise is up in the air), so take it for what its worth. But it looks like it could be very powerful and I hope you can make it work out.

also pledge of hands might be mega good with this build

you know that poison stacks right ?
that the main idea , that all these blades running and hitting , inflicting poison each time .
"
ceasar23 wrote:

you know that poison stacks right ?
that the main idea , that all these blades running and hitting , inflicting poison each time .

I'm quite aware. I'm just gauging the effectiveness of this over a crit focused build or say this one http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1491163

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info