Standard is a trash!

Having a dumpster league where all the league derps get to work and play with their chars after leagues is something that should exists; however I don't think it should be standard. I'd like to have two "standard" leagues around, one where league/hc trash gets dropped (I guess current standard) and another standard, one that is in no way related to hc or monthly leagues nor gets affected by them, but functions just like the current standard.

Well, it's good to have dreams right? That solution would "divide the player base", "force those who're rich in standard to quit the game" and probably get hundreds of other similar excuses as to why it's not happening.
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...
I would play Standard, maybe, if I didn't have to remember my build and respec each time I log in to check out an old character. Would be nice if legacy leagues had legacy passives or something to help respec to what it used to be.
"
ionface wrote:
Would be nice if legacy leagues had legacy passives or something to help respec to what it used to be.

If GGG were serious about making a league that cares about permanence, that would be essential tech. They have legacy items (sometimes), but they don't have legacy trees. They would also need to support legacy gems.

The legacy leagues were an alternative to deleting everything at the end of a league. They're not a target of balance and any residual goodies that come out of it are entirely collateral.

Until GGG changes their view, writes up a bunch of fancy tech, and tries to balance the legacy leagues, I certainly don't recommend trying to play in them. If you're here because you want something that is going to last forever, look again.

I'd much rather they put that much effort into making leveling up a better experience, which is really a bigger problem given the percentage of people that play when new leagues come out and how many characters each player makes on average.
"
ionface wrote:
I would play Standard, maybe, if I didn't have to remember my build and respec each time I log in to check out an old character. Would be nice if legacy leagues had legacy passives or something to help respec to what it used to be.

The downside of free respec I agree. There are many builds I like and do not want to respec. I have several toons I have spent a lot of time trying to perfect, even though still far from perfect, but they will always remain with the same build even if the build one day sucks. I made those toons just for the builds and designed everything around them, they will never change builds and will be the only toons I use for those builds cause I specialized them and dedicated time into them, they are my babies that I've watched grow up. :P

Now I do like free respec for my high level toons who I never liked their builds and therefore was unwilling to try to perfect. I like being able to use those toons as a tabula rasa for testing new ideas or builds.

Of course with every skill tree change, some builds become broken cause the tree doesn't match before, so free respec isn't something that GGG does to be nice, but repec is natural and necessary after skill tree changes.
"Come along fool, a direct hit to the senses will leave you disconnected."
Last edited by KimchiGirlx3 on Dec 1, 2015, 12:19:54 PM
"
viperesque wrote:

For me, Standard is boring and pointless (except to test stuff), because there is no progression. Levelling characters is trivial because I have an infinite supply of twinking uniques. Respeccing existing characters feels hollow because I haven't stuck with the build and grown it from scratch. Farming holds no satisfaction because I have nothing to buy that doesn't cost triple-digit exalts. Mapping is empty too because I already have a supply of high level maps to pick from rather than having to work my way up the tiers and fight for them.

In a fresh league, all this is different. I get to play a new build from scratch. Levelling is actually fun and vaguely challenging to optimise. I start my character from absolutely nothing and build it up to a killing machine. When a valuable item drops, my feeling is not "Oh boy, maybe with another couple of hundred of those I can afford the mirror service for this dagger", it's "Sweet! Now I can buy that unique I needed/get 50% more DPS on my weapon/save up for my 6L!" And I love mapping because slowly working my way up the tiers brings new levels of challenge and reward.

I don't really have interest in slowly accumulating permanent wealth at this point. I did that for a while, and it was fun, but now I have enough gear and currency on standard that getting more is simply barely noticeable. Temp leagues may be repeating the same thing over and over again, but I want to try out lots of different builds, and they provide a way to do that while progressing meaningfully.

Very well said. I don't care about accumulating wealth/power/prestige in standard. My enjoyment of the game is maximized when a new league starts, for all the reasons you stated.

There is an extra dimension to it for me because I exclusively play hardcore. I have never even logged into standard softcore except to retrieve MTX. Playing new leagues in hardcore adds additional enjoyment in forcing me to collect backup leveling gear for when I eventually die and have to reroll, which also adds impact to build choice and good early-game RNG.

Seriously, if you have never tried playing POE on the first day of a hardcore league, you haven't really played POE IMO. It's much more difficult xD
Last edited by Trentemoller on Dec 1, 2015, 12:15:00 PM
I too can agree with the above, but these reasons do not arrive at the same conclusions that OP was making that Standard is trash and therefore has no use.
I actually feel like there is too long of a break between challenge leagues. There was an almost 45 day break between Tempest and Talisman. As a player who doesn't play permanent leagues, I hope in the future the break between leagues could be shortened to maybe 2 weeks or less.
"
eXecut1on wrote:

At this point the only solution is to add new stuff that has some value and doesn't drop that often.

That is already ingame. It is called "league specific uniques".
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
I tend to agree with something I saw Anuhart say last week. If GGG had only made a Standard SC league and a Standard HC league, and then slowly made patches to add additional content, many problems would've been solved. Currently we have a huge divide between players that only play new leagues and players who enjoy playing all leagues. If there was only a Standard SC and Standard HC league all those issues would not exist. But it is too late to turn back now, GGG has made their bed.
"
I play temp leagues because it is much easier for me to acquire items than in standard.

My classic example. Back in Torment League before 4x0=0 Soul Takers sould for 7 exalt in standard. They sold for 3 exalt in Torment. Elron gives 20 Jews a day. In at most three days you get 20 fuse. On doing dalies alone I farmmed a Soul Taker in three weeks playing 10-20 min a day. It would have taken twice that long in standard.

Decent jewelry is cheaper in temp league, weapons are cheaper in temp league, linked items are cheaper in temp league....

...Do you how much time and money you have wasted not playing temp leagues?

I believe you do not have a full understanding off the difference between temp and standard.
Yes it is far easier to acquire items in the temp league but not because they are cheaper they are far more expensive then in standard.
If you take a decent ring in standard it is worth trash, why? there are millions exactly the same, you sell yours at a lower price to get it picked before all the others. In temp league a decent ring is quite expensive since there are a lot fewer options for you. This means that in temp league most items you find are sellable but in standard you need those really good items to drop to get anything for it, this is the reason i really enjoy standard you need to work for your items you need to have RNGesus on your side, i do still enjoy the challenge leagues.

Uniques are more expensive in exalts but in reality they are about the same if not cheaper then in temp.
As for an example the soul taker you use for an example. it was 7 exalts in standard and 3 exalts in torment, if my memory serves me correct a exalts in torment first half were about 65-70 chaos orbs. (correct me if i'm wrong i played torment as pure self found)
temp about 200-210 chaos for weapon
Standard 190-210 chaos for weapon. at around 28-30 chaos to an exalt

Thats just about exact same price. Currency in this game change value aswell in standard exalts are worthless there are to many of them while in a temp league there is not enough of them.

Only problem i have with everything being dumped into standard is that temp shops also gets dumped into standard and most of all temp players only play temp and they do not remove their standard shop after league merge (Not sure if this is still a thing have been on a break since torment end, need new skills to play with so 2.1 is AWSOME)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info