Standard is a trash!

"
eXecut1on wrote:
That feeling of success, that kept people motivated to play, when a 10-30ex unique dropped is completely nonexistent now because there are none...

If some players' sole motivation was finding a 10-30ex unique and then cashing it in, I suspect they would have left PoE a long time ago out of frustration. I would counter there are far more players who have been grinding out 10ex plus in vendoring/low trade items with the motivation so that they can get these hitherto extremely rare items that never seem to drop for them.

GGG didn't increase the drop rate of these items by 25%, 50%, or even double. 400% is a huge change, and to me, it indicates that GGG has showing far more players want those items than players want the currency from selling those items.

There are players who don't really care about an item's trade value. Some value items just for their utility in making a build. There are players who would be happy to see trade completely eliminated.

Whether the 4x uniques buff was put in place or not, the prices would eventually drop. All items in standard will devalue over time as more and more accumulate.

I would be interested in seeing GGG's perspective on how much trading occurs in the permanent leagues vs the temporary leagues, and how much of that is done in the immediate aftermath of a challenge league merging with the permanents.

"
eXecut1on wrote:

At this point the only solution is to add new stuff that has some value and doesn't drop that often.

The challenge leagues definitely do this. The problem there is that the price related to using Zana mods on maps to try and gain those items compared to the drop rates is ridiculous.

If GGG added took the concept of randomly spawned areas (like corrupted zones) and used that in maps to generate a small previous league area (Ambush,Tempest,etc) than it would be far more appealing.

"
eXecut1on wrote:

My point is: you need to give Std players a goal, something to play for. Before the 4x patch, I was an active player. When the patch hit, I farmed like mad for a couple of days and stopped as soon as prices hit rock bottom. Since then all I do is idle in town and check for trade messages. I have absolutely no incentive to play any more.

If your only incentive to play was to trade, than I would think PoE would become boring rather quickly. If you are trading to get better items to make even better characters, than it would take longer, but after 2-3 years (or less with a dedicated effort) you would likely hit the cap on gear and level, at which point you would be bored again.

I don't think a small or medium sized company can deliver new content with growing challenge levels fast enough to keep pace with players pushing the envelope. They might be able to keep the players busy for a couple weeks or maybe a month plus.

Look at it this way - could a single movie company make movies faster than a single movie consumer could watch the movies?

That is ultimately what any original content producer is up against, whether it is J.K. Rowling, Disney, GGG or some random blogger. That is why Youtube, facebook etc have exploded - there's a nearly unlimited source of new content.

There is a way to potentially accelerate more new content and challenges from GGG:

Support. The more resources GGG has, the more they can do to try and satisfy both the players that want continual progression and those who want the most extreme challenges GGG can come up with. The best way to do that is have gaming content for both and let the players go after what they want.

The talismans might be a good start on having new items that are potentially very good and worth a lot in trade, but still extremely rare. It will be difficult to balance them so that the chances of finding talismans that are functionally very good (and worth using over a rare or unique of the same drop rarity) vs making the very best of them just obtainable enough that people will actually farm for them. It will be interesting to see how this works out, but I think the idea of letting players choose a challenge and then grind that challenge is a good one.

The people who just like trading can probably sit on the side and skim from the top of all the temporary trading and amass enough wealth so that they can get the ultra expensive talismans - so they could be happy too.

In any case, although my reason for enjoyment of PoE is vastly different from yours, I do think GGG's decisions will work out well in the long run. GGG's usage of MTG psychographic profiles means they are ultimately trying to put a little of something for everyone in the game.

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr11b

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Dec 1, 2015, 12:20:00 AM
"
deathflower wrote:
"
I'm not sure if you actually identified a problem with the standard league - what exactly is your gripe? The only thing I can really identify is, you want them to force others to play Standard - that doesn't really seem right at all.

"To developers, why is there no break between leagues? What is your purpose? What does standard mean to you? Should not be new leagues shorter and with breaks?"

After feeling compelled to participate in temp leagues and making very little progress I decided to start playing Standard for much the same reasons as yourself. It has been a very good experience. There have been plenty of people playing, and I don't mind trading off whatever wackiness is happening in the temp league for the stability of actually making some consistent progress on my characters with the little bit of time I have.

I expect that once I get my feet wet with a fully developed end-game character I'll probably want to move between league and standard on a whim.

I think you are missing the point. Standard is a trash because it is treated like trash. Why does everything get dumped into standard if it is important? It doesn't make sense that items you earn in another league can be move to another league. Let's dump everything from standard to hardcore. Do that make sense? It is OK because hey it is standard. You earn items in another Temp league that you get to keep in standard. It is OK because it is standard. Other league get cool races, ladders, events and stuff, standard just don't. It is OK because it is standard. GGG don't care much about standard. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Your items get transferred to standard so that you can continue playing your character once the league ends. Why would standard items be transferrable to hardcore?

[Edited by support]
Last edited by Eben_GGG on Dec 1, 2015, 1:03:07 AM
Hey everyone, I've had to delete and edit some posts in this thread. I appreciate that you're passionate about the discussion but please try to keep it civil!

Contact us at support@grindinggear.com if you need any help!
"
Eben_GGG wrote:
Hey everyone, I've had to delete and edit some posts in this thread. I appreciate that you're passionate about the discussion but please try to keep it civil!

More censorship from our overlords who know better than us on how to express our opinions. All hail our enlightened saviors.
"
"
Eben_GGG wrote:

More censorship from our overlords who know better than us on how to express our opinions. All hail our enlightened saviors.

Don't worry champ, I'm sure you've got more gear in standard than Eben does.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
It's not the increased drop rates that ruined standard, it's the league-playing trash that gets moved into standard that ruined it :) This is something that should be kept in mind!
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...
EDIT: Removed - no longer relevant.

It was just a little bit of bitchy back and forth, guys - do we need to probate anyone for it? :(
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Dec 1, 2015, 2:27:18 AM
"
[Removed by support]

They buy the pointless supporter packs to support the game. Duh.
Last edited by Eben_GGG on Dec 1, 2015, 2:12:33 AM
"
eXecut1on wrote:
WHen will people finally realize that the 4x Unique buff introduced the decay of Standard? You can't compare the player trend from the last two years with what is going to follow in the future after this detrimental patch which has destroyed the whole economy in Standard. I really don't know whether it's the blatant fanboyism or people are really that blind. Anyway, if there isn't going to be any change, this game will slowly lose the majority of Standard players, which is a pretty big part of the player base.

Wait, what? They buffed the drop rates of Uniques by 4x? When'd they do that?! I haven't been on since June!
Hail Thor-show thy might, Let thunder roar and lightning strike! Hurl thy hammer into the fray, And let thine enemies know fear this day!
"
Pokopensuke wrote:
"
eXecut1on wrote:
WHen will people finally realize that the 4x Unique buff introduced the decay of Standard? You can't compare the player trend from the last two years with what is going to follow in the future after this detrimental patch which has destroyed the whole economy in Standard. I really don't know whether it's the blatant fanboyism or people are really that blind. Anyway, if there isn't going to be any change, this game will slowly lose the majority of Standard players, which is a pretty big part of the player base.

Yeah I realized it too. My friend who started POE about a year ago in standard has pretty much all good uniques, especially he found or bought them cheap after the 4x unique buff. He is getting bored of this game unfortunately.

The 4x buff was excellent for temp leagues, but I think it was too much for standard.

GGG should have balanced game and economy for permanent leagues and temp leagues separately.

I said this a while ago in feedback, unfortunately we are in the very small and dying minority, it's obvious our opinions and feedback do not matter AT ALL, or we'd see some change by now. Instead, perm has been on a steady decline for almost a year.

Temp leaguers don't have a clue what perm leaguers complain about, they are so narrow minded all they care about is running a new hamster wheel every 3 months forever, and not care about the general growth and good of the game, which is why you see moronic statements like STD = dumpster league that no-one cares about. While the STD players bring up good points, like the drop rate buff and all the temp league trash getting swept into STD, one thing you all are missing is: When was the last great, awesome and truly powerful unique that was created by GGG, that you would be thrilled to find in loot piles - an original shavs or kaoms heart-like, on that level?? Where are the new acuity's, the headhunter's of today? Where are these brilliant and awesome items that only came to existence a while ago but no more, which once made farming a joy but now a burden??

Dark_Chicken - lvl 100 Marauder
Divine_Chicken - lvl 100 Duelist

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info