100% block spell perk on Gladiator lol

end game builds are killed by spell damage, not physical. we have physical mitigation coming out our asses in this game. lightning coil, fortify, endurance charges, armour, MoM, taste of hate, immortal call, etc etc.

spell damage is only mitigated by a few things.

#1-kinda. resistances. everybody in their right mind has these capped and even overcapped for maps. its very beneficial to carry pots to further raise your maximum resistances, but majority builds stick with 75%. not to mention the games spell damage is based around the ASSUMPTION everybody has 75% resistances. so unless you have resistances heavily overcapped (85-90%) at all times, i don't even consider this a type of mitigation.

#2 spell dodge. not many ways to get this stat. definitely not many used by every day builds. atziri step, phase acrobatics, vaal grace, and the buffed Hyrri's Ire. which one do you use? thats what i thought.

#3 health pool. whether ES or HP our main defense against spells majority time is having enough life to soak up a hit.

#4 spell block. right now you can't get spell block unless you have block, except a couple of underpowered passives and Rearguard.
uniques give it. Stone of lazhwar amulet (50%), Rathpith globe (40-60%), Rainbowstride boots (20-25%) and Saffell's frame (70-80%) are really the only ones i've seen used in builds. I guess Daresso's courage could work.

#5 the most reliable way to avoid spell damage is....movement.

in order to get 100% block to spell block just for a couple of passives...well...its very strong. im not saying its OP anymore because i've now seen other ascendancy trees. you need to pick duelist/gladiator so i guess thats the ONLY downfall of this node.

to pick this or perma fortify?? well i think i'd rather pick this. perma fortify you can have with any movement skill you want anyway. this is essentially a free massive boost which takes place of TWO equipment slots
Last edited by xMustard on Feb 1, 2016, 10:28:57 PM
"
xMustard wrote:
end game builds are killed by spell damage, not physical. we have physical mitigation coming out our asses in this game. lightning coil, fortify, endurance charges, armour, MoM, taste of hate, immortal call, etc etc.

spell damage is only mitigated by a few things.

#1-kinda. resistances. everybody in their right mind has these capped and even overcapped for maps. its very beneficial to carry pots to further raise your maximum resistances, but majority builds stick with 75%. not to mention the games spell damage is based around the ASSUMPTION everybody has 75% resistances. so unless you have resistances heavily overcapped (85-90%) at all times, i don't even consider this a type of mitigation.

#2 spell dodge. not many ways to get this stat. definitely not many used by every day builds. atziri step, phase acrobatics, vaal grace, and the buffed Hyrri's Ire. which one do you use? thats what i thought.

#3 health pool. whether ES or HP our main defense against spells majority time is having enough life to soak up a hit.

#4 spell block. right now you can't get spell block unless you have block, except a couple of underpowered passives and Rearguard.
uniques give it. Stone of lazhwar amulet (50%), Rathpith globe (40-60%), Rainbowstride boots (20-25%) and Saffell's frame (70-80%) are really the only ones i've seen used in builds. I guess Daresso's courage could work.

#5 the most reliable way to avoid spell damage is....movement.

in order to get 100% block to spell block just for a couple of passives...well...its very strong. im not saying its OP anymore because i've now seen other ascendancy trees. you need to pick duelist/gladiator so i guess thats the ONLY downfall of this node.

to pick this or perma fortify?? well i think i'd rather pick this. perma fortify you can have with any movement skill you want anyway. this is essentially a free massive boost which takes place of TWO equipment slots

Can you name a few sources of spell damage that kill end game builds?
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
So why not both? Flat dmg reduction & block!

Using both is fine in general but your char usually has to pay a high price for that (low dps).
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
first of all i am quite excited about gladiator %100 spell block thing. then i insta log on poe and started testing my op build which i played in warbands(didnt play last 2 leauges bored). well people who dontt experiment high end game maps and content shouldnt talk about it and stop making assumptions imo.

the reality is if you have medicore block chance %+40 and +%10k armor with combining coil or not, only thing that drops your hp bar is SPELL DMG in this game. and i always find migitating spell dmg is pain in the ass. i am the guy who carry %+10 15 flasks in inventory always. still some situations are so painfull to face. even i have %100 perf rolled flask in every fucking situation in game, and even i play crit claw char with old gg crit flasks its not something permanent line of defence like armor block evasion and such. the sad part is flask can RUN OUT(consumable) :D even you have gg flask oriented belt, druidic rite + primal spirit on tree(i assume you stick right side of tree cant go top for witch flask node).
so what you have to do is capped your resists and rely on flasks and pumping your hp pool. for my builds i hate going over 5, 5.5k hp in my builds (even for hc). it means you lack dmg -> as long as killing time rises you get closer to fail. so aiming balance is quiet key for me in poe.

2nd line of defence you can go is spell dodge, i skip this thing cause we are talking about block chance which is meh with acro(less block).

3rd is spell block, which is way to go if you are heavily invested in block nodes. and people who never play block/spell block builds have zero idea how strong this is.

4th manually dodging spells. well whirl away leap away quicksilver away.. not bad if you have fast reflexes but sometimes you cant manually dodge shit.

people who talk bullshit about going block armor build lacks dmg, here is my items and tree for next league i tested all contests in game in standart...

GEAR
Spoiler

TREE
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwQAAQkEsQUtBbUHHgkzDPcN0Q5IEZYS4RUgFewV_Ra_GbQblxutG8gj9iT9JpUqCyzpLYMuUy_MMHwyTjY9N9Q6rT3iQKBF9Ed-SO5JUU1GTZJRR1VLXfJh4mKsYuxjQ2SvZU1sjG1sb1dvhHBSdO11_XgZeK5673sUfXWEb4TZhO-Gs4nTijiK8IwLjDaNfY2_lS6dqqLqo4qplayvsbO0xbjZuR25fL02vqfAv8GCwaDC7MqQz93RNtNv037WB9rB3UjiLOLV44TnVOlG7LDtP-1B73rw1fGK9qP-uv8c_94=?accountName=feelgod&characterName=PartyIsFullNOThnx

with 5-6 end charges, fortify up, granite volls smash in 80 map deals 300 400 dmg at all(maybe less).. 5.1k hp,build abusing shield nodes to reach 12k flat armor(+25k with granite), 5-6 perma end charges(%20 gg true dmg reduction), some %25 30 evasion(+%55with jade), %51 block with tempest, for new leauge just using lazhwar %75 spell block, 10 20 perf flask and getting 4 flask nodes to lvl 95, 5.1k hp, 75 77k reave aeo dmg.. true all in one char. tanky and dealing shitton of dmg, next less fear from spell dmg too..

i tested all hard bosses and shitty map mods in game last 4 days. 2 thing you need to worry for end game content. high spell dmg and degen effects(sadly dont have chaos res on gear, not hard to obtain anyway, just used items that i have from warbands)

dont wanna mention GRATUITOUS VIOLENCE node on gladiator. %20 xplode dmg for more clear speed. ohh boy.. dont wanna mention you can craft bleed on claws too or simply use dragon sword and remake tree.(skill has %10 bleed anyway)

for fortify thingy, well its cool but i never see 1 situation that i lost my fortify charges. its not bad gem for melee heroes, it still gives dmg on link tho cant beat spell block for most situations.

final test note, i tried crema boss with this build in really hard map mod, used lvl 21 pof + rotp shield, lvl 20 AA, and enfeeble 20 20 on boss. couldnt tank boss dmg even with life leech gem and my ruby up..

then i log my other block char in same map which has 75 spell block, again used 20 AA + 21 Pof + saffels but didnt use enfeeble.. boss was ez as fuck. sit there and melted her.

so people who underestimate spell block always make me laugh. still a lot to come, maybe they will nerf spell block items or changes on tree. we will wait and see but i am %100 ready for next leauge with tons of new build ideas
"
Nephalim wrote:

Can you name a few sources of spell damage that kill end game builds?

You really ask this?

First of all we can sort them into 2 type, elemental and phys spells.

Phys spells fuck over ES builds, while they have the upper hand vs ele dmg with their significantly higher life pool.

For example:
The arbitter of knowledge in academy.
Maligaro in core.

Elemental spells, I had a great problem with this thing in talisman with an armor/life build.

For example:
Witch of cauldron in springs if you do a twinned one and get one of the bosses corpse exploded in your face then it is game over.
Megaera in crematorium, can kill you easily even if you are prepotted and has no dmg mods.
Shrine Piety.
Atziri.
Palace Dominus.
Even Volcano can be dangerous with some mods, for ex double boss increased area/cast speed added dmg is prett rippy.

And on top of theese, most the time you have -maxresist and even multiple curses on maps.

Well except if end game builds for you mean cock dischargers, who just oneshot anything they cyclone into.
Piety with 2 of them...and extra projectiles...bluh...
100% of block chance applied to spells. Do I have any block attacks after this ?
"
SirSly wrote:
100% of block chance applied to spells. Do I have any block attacks after this ?

Yes. It does not remove block.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info