POE for casual gamers

I am personally really happy to see this change, I think it is about time the drop of these items are boosted as there are plenty of other goals to achieve in POE.

In about 3000 hours I never saw a Shav, a Mjol or even on of the top unique bows, with this patch I might see one but I am far to believe they will rain on every single noob player starting the game.

I play maps 99% of the time, all boosted and 99% of the time my drops go straight to the vendor.

It has been over a month playing maps without getting a single upgrade for my toons without ressorting in trade, most of the items I kept are not even great items but more 1 - 5 chaos medium rare and uniques.

These drop rates are enough to make even the most hardcore players considering quiting IMHO and that patch is finally heading into the right direction.
oh boy.

The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
Don't worry, you will still be a special and unique snowflake despite slightly more people having shavs.
Last edited by ladish on Sep 2, 2015, 9:08:23 PM
I have made maybe 50 characters from mid 70's to low 90's. I have never found a Shav in the thousands of hours I have played. I have manually leveled empowers to level four. I have farmed dozens of unique occultist vestments and they are ALWAYS the Mantle. If I had found a Shav in those last few years I would have died with it at some point so its not like it would ruin the economy. I always wanted to try the low life builds though in end game. I did it a dozen times or so with the weaker Solaris Lorica version but that always got too risky in late cruel with the lack or e-shield while wielding the leaf+lorica. I grinded for a few thousand hours I am certain although I did lose track a few dozen characters and several leagues ago. The best drop I ever got was a Koams heart and that was not even on GGG. I found it on Garena server during a short break from GGG, I was a little upset about that. I have pretty much left Poe but I still return to see whats new.
Last edited by rob16437 on Sep 2, 2015, 9:55:22 PM
"

I refuse to believe anyone with a job, ongoing financial commitments, family, something resembling a social life and a penchant for oldschool ARPGs would look at PoE and see anything but good value worth supporting. And that right there is your 'casual gamer'.

That's your Diaternals.

Thank you Charan, as a Dad of 2, a Husband, and a very busy at Work Boss, I support PoE because it is a great game.

@ the OP - Yes I am a CASUAL gamer b/c I have a f--kin life mate.

And, for the record, I don't have a Shav's or a Moljiner, and I could give two flying f--ks about it.

Nor do I care if you do have said Uniques or whatever other pixels turn your crank.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Last edited by DoubleU on Sep 2, 2015, 10:02:58 PM
"
"
HighTime wrote:

Keep making updates for casual gamers who don't give a damn (and by the way don't give you dime) while your real supporters stop buying supporter packs.

You really stepped in it with that one, youngun.

Logic. You're about to get a faceful of it. Get the tissues ready -- whether for said logic or the tears, I don't really care.

Casual gamers don't play as much or as intensely as hardcore gamers. Why? USUALLY because they have other things going on in their life. Let's assume one of those things is this little thing we call 'work'. When people 'work', they make 'money'. They then use this 'money' to support themselves and their loved ones if need be. This can come in the form of necessities, like food and domicile upkeep, but it can also come in the form of entertainment and pleasure. People who 'work' are very happy to put 'money' into things they enjoy. They know it's going to a good cause for them and it makes them feel like their money is not being wasted. The caual gamer supports Path of Exile not because the game does this or that, but simply because they enjoy what it does, what it is, and how it's done.

Hardcore gamers play a lot more than casual gamers. We can assume that this PROBABLY means they don't 'work' as much and, by law of averages, probably don't have as much 'money'. There are, of course, spikes, such as myself, but everyone knows I'm the exception to just about every rule, even the smart ones. So hardcore gamers who care about things like drop rates and trading for hours on end, who take this shit very seriously because let's face it, they don't have much else in their lives to take seriously, especially not 'work', are definitely harder to please and have less 'money'. This means that they're far less apt to support because, well, they have to eat too. On the other hand, they're also far more likely to threaten not to support UNLESS the developers do this or that because, being hardcore gamers with less 'money' because they don't 'work', they have an inflated sense of their own financial clout. What might be a pittance to a casual gamer who 'works' could be a week's food money to a hardcore gamer who doesn't.

Simply put, casual gamers are far more likely to support for superficial/moral reasons and to support more because they HAVE MORE MONEY TO CONTRIBUTE BECAUSE THEY HAVE LIVES THAT INCLUDE WORK WHICH GIVES THEM MONEY. Hardcore gamers, on the other hand, are usually fucking pennypinchers because it's typically impossible to be a hardcore gamer *and* make good money on a regular basis. They're the ones who think their fucking ten or twenty dollars is somehow going to sway GGG into doing what they want. L O fucking L.

Now I'm not saying you don't have a job or a life. Hell, I'm not even saying you're a hardcore gamer. That's all on you. I am saying, however, that to be a 'hardcore gamer' of this game, given the game is already way fucking hardcore from the get-go, you really do need to be in a position where full-time employment isn't very likely...unless all you do is work an 8 hour stint then come home and play PoE for 8 hours a day, in which case I'd think you'd support anyway simply because you'd realise you're getting a pretty sweet deal as far as hours of entertainment vs financial commitment.

I refuse to believe anyone with a job, ongoing financial commitments, family, something resembling a social life and a penchant for oldschool ARPGs would look at PoE and see anything but good value worth supporting. And that right there is your 'casual gamer'.

That's your Diaternals.

I like this post :D
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
"
Jerle wrote:
"
"
HighTime wrote:

Keep making updates for casual gamers who don't give a damn (and by the way don't give you dime) while your real supporters stop buying supporter packs.

You really stepped in it with that one, youngun.

Logic. You're about to get a faceful of it. Get the tissues ready -- whether for said logic or the tears, I don't really care.

Casual gamers don't play as much or as intensely as hardcore gamers. Why? USUALLY because they have other things going on in their life. Let's assume one of those things is this little thing we call 'work'. When people 'work', they make 'money'. They then use this 'money' to support themselves and their loved ones if need be. This can come in the form of necessities, like food and domicile upkeep, but it can also come in the form of entertainment and pleasure. People who 'work' are very happy to put 'money' into things they enjoy. They know it's going to a good cause for them and it makes them feel like their money is not being wasted. The caual gamer supports Path of Exile not because the game does this or that, but simply because they enjoy what it does, what it is, and how it's done.

Hardcore gamers play a lot more than casual gamers. We can assume that this PROBABLY means they don't 'work' as much and, by law of averages, probably don't have as much 'money'. There are, of course, spikes, such as myself, but everyone knows I'm the exception to just about every rule, even the smart ones. So hardcore gamers who care about things like drop rates and trading for hours on end, who take this shit very seriously because let's face it, they don't have much else in their lives to take seriously, especially not 'work', are definitely harder to please and have less 'money'. This means that they're far less apt to support because, well, they have to eat too. On the other hand, they're also far more likely to threaten not to support UNLESS the developers do this or that because, being hardcore gamers with less 'money' because they don't 'work', they have an inflated sense of their own financial clout. What might be a pittance to a casual gamer who 'works' could be a week's food money to a hardcore gamer who doesn't.

Simply put, casual gamers are far more likely to support for superficial/moral reasons and to support more because they HAVE MORE MONEY TO CONTRIBUTE BECAUSE THEY HAVE LIVES THAT INCLUDE WORK WHICH GIVES THEM MONEY. Hardcore gamers, on the other hand, are usually fucking pennypinchers because it's typically impossible to be a hardcore gamer *and* make good money on a regular basis. They're the ones who think their fucking ten or twenty dollars is somehow going to sway GGG into doing what they want. L O fucking L.

Now I'm not saying you don't have a job or a life. Hell, I'm not even saying you're a hardcore gamer. That's all on you. I am saying, however, that to be a 'hardcore gamer' of this game, given the game is already way fucking hardcore from the get-go, you really do need to be in a position where full-time employment isn't very likely...unless all you do is work an 8 hour stint then come home and play PoE for 8 hours a day, in which case I'd think you'd support anyway simply because you'd realise you're getting a pretty sweet deal as far as hours of entertainment vs financial commitment.

That's your Diaternals.

I like this post :D

Yeah, it is even better if you read it out loud with a kevin spacey voice.
I play every league since open beta and I had my first shav drop thus league.

I applaud these changes because even though I do trade I never got rich in any league to be able to buy a shav. More than 3000 hrs does not make me a casual.

Not sure where this envy comes from that only a select amount of people can have niche builds that others may not enjoy.

Silly post. Mr op and very selfish
This thread DELIVERS for full value :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info