POE for casual gamers

I knew I would see the rats crawl out of the sewers and comment on here after the new patch. I have been waiting for you OP!!

The real heroes in this game are the guys who make the game guides and figure out what builds are really fun and efficient to play. However when you have such dismal drop rates and it is so hard to attain build enabling uniques a lot of people do not even bother and I am sure there are probably so many cool builds out there just waiting to be discovered that unfortunately will never be because of people like you.

"
DoubleU wrote:
"

I refuse to believe anyone with a job, ongoing financial commitments, family, something resembling a social life and a penchant for oldschool ARPGs would look at PoE and see anything but good value worth supporting. And that right there is your 'casual gamer'.

That's your Diaternals.

Thank you Charan, as a Dad of 2, a Husband, and a very busy at Work Boss, I support PoE because it is a great game.

@ the OP - Yes I am a CASUAL gamer b/c I have a f--kin life mate.

And, for the record, I don't have a Shav's or a Moljiner, and I could give two flying f--ks about it.

Nor do I care if you do have said Uniques or whatever other pixels turn your crank.

I fall under that catagory aswell. Father of 3 kids 5 year old and younger and have a full-time job.

I don't think I have spent more on any game and I will spend more in the future.

I kinda feel sorry for OP, I was him 15 years ago. I remember how cool I felt back then but know I know better.
3.3 RF Trickster SSF HC guide :

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2147256
"
Rusherboy wrote:

I fall under that catagory aswell. Father of 3 kids 5 year old and younger and have a full-time job.
I don't think I have spent more on any game and I will spend more in the future.
I kinda feel sorry for OP, I was him 15 years ago. I remember how cool I felt back then but know I know better.

This ^^^

There are much better things to do in life instead of endless grind fiesta 8 hours a day.
In my opinion game fun/content is spoiled by efforts to support artificial economy, which is abused by flippers, scammers and game mechanic exploiters.

It would be much more fun, if you could actually craft gear by yourself with reasonable amount of currency instead of collecting orbs, selling for ex and after that going to poe.trade to buy something what you need.
Last edited by _kerber_ on Sep 3, 2015, 8:48:41 AM
Seems like most of the people on this thread are missing the main point of the original post. This has degenerated into an assault on economically depressed hard core gamers and as you can see from the lack of shiny supporter accolades next to this post, I am obviously one of them. :D

Here is the point for all the people that missed it, and thought this thread was about which gamer sub-group contributes the most money to this game:

The faster you progress players from a state of "wow this game is complicated and difficult" to "wow I am just steamrolling content" the shorter the longevity of the community.

Increasing drop rates contributes to this obviously.

Many recent enemy nerfs also contribute to this. Specifically, devourer nerf, reflect nerf,enemy shotgunning nerf, etc.

The broader issue here though is an issue every online gaming community I have ever been a part of faces sooner or later. Will the game remain true to roots or will it become bland in flavor as it seeks to encompass a wider and wider audience.
"
Temper wrote:
"
Heli0nix wrote:
"
I believe this is how hardcore players see this game

Novadays many people consider beeing HC cause they spent more time on a game than others wich is not the original definition.

HC players in good old times was the one able to beat a game faster than others and in a brilliant way.

Things changed game industry leaded these two letters to create an army of fashion victims proud to claim they were spending time and then were HC players.

The gap is big between generations.

Indeed,

I can spend 24/7 watching the grass grow ... not very hardcore in my opinion.Add an ants nest,nudity and a sweet sticky substance into the equation and things start to get a little more interesting.

=P

Please don't do this. But if you have to: film it.

@AttackDingo: So with a shav, mjolner or windripper you steamroll the game automatically? No. Therefore, the point of the OP was not missed. It is just plain wrong. Put aside that i don't think a difficulty-level should be determined by "how hard is it to find gear that enables 2-3 builds". And it definitely is not determined by that in this game. Good or godly rares (especially weapons) let you steamroll. A simple shav or mjolner? Nah, there is a lot more to do.
POE can remain true but still become smoother. And again: i don't think the increased drop rates of shav and Co. change the "trueness" of this game in any kind. IF they would make t1-affixes as accessible as magic items, THEN we would have a serious discussion.

It is a terrible mistake to think that opening a product to a wider audience automatically means less difficulty. You still have layers of difficulty in this game. As for example in WoW. Mythic Archimonde is for the methods, not for the lfg-ers. Everyone gets his epic some day. And that's okay.

And by the way, after thinking about it: The hardcore gamers (whatever that means) are not punished by the slightly higher droprates and the casuals (whatever the FUCK this means) are not massively rewarded. Even with increased droprates, finding a shavs with 1 hour opf gaming every two days is still impossible. I think that it is the mid-tier of gamers (wtf that means, yeah yeah) that get a reward by it. So it is not about widening the audience. It is about satisfying the main audience. If hardcores just get a bonus with it: fine.
So what was the fuzz about again? ;)
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
Last edited by ghamadvar on Sep 3, 2015, 9:08:46 AM
"
AttackDingo wrote:
Seems like most of the people on this thread are missing the main point of the original post. This has degenerated into an assault on economically depressed hard core gamers and as you can see from the lack of shiny supporter accolades next to this post, I am obviously one of them. :D

Here is the point for all the people that missed it, and thought this thread was about which gamer sub-group contributes the most money to this game:

The faster you progress players from a state of "wow this game is complicated and difficult" to "wow I am just steamrolling content" the shorter the longevity of the community.

Many recent enemy nerfs also contribute to this. Specifically, devourer nerf, reflect nerf,enemy shotgunning nerf, etc.

The broader issue here though is an issue every online gaming community I have ever been a part of faces sooner or later. Will the game remain true to roots or will it become bland in flavor as it seeks to encompass a wider and wider audience.

After 2.0 patch game became even harder in my opinion:
Increased monster damage
Nerfed reduced mana gem (less aura)
Nerfed life leech
Some build nerfed to the ground
No shotgun mechanic
New bosses are skippable for most not high end builds.
Uber is doable only for top 1% now

Overall balance of content is fine, but whole game diversity is blocked by huge wall of required wealth. Casual gamer will never be able to craft gear for end game and try all potential of certain builds.
"

Regarding the number of players who left the game recently including me after 94 in warbands and nearly no reward because of decreased map drops i would tend to think this is absolutely wrong.

Uniques arn't leading to endgame progression most of them are just opening some more choices for different builds. You will still need to gear your char to progress with good rares items.

Also it has been confirmed GGG were wrong about player leaving after reaching level 100 most of them keep rerolling new char and play the game.

The only part where i'm agree is it should be Harder to progress trought endgame but not fully gated by RnG or trading. The game itself should be harder specialy bosses at each map level and of course making them more rewarding.

For now it has nothing Hardcore as long you can skip all hard map to play the easy one at each levels.
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Sep 3, 2015, 9:25:40 AM
I have seen unid shavs today flowing on trade chat. The change is substantial.
i've played a bit of Beyond (around lvl 78) then found a unique siege axe, and had lot of fun. Though the real end game roof was absolutely unreachable for my time limits; id love to face uber atziri once in my life, to get those insanely good items she drops, but hey, i can't play 24/7, i have a life. By giving casual players more loot, you'll just see a wider player base, which is just good for PoE. The challenging feeling will surely be balanced and new features, new content, will make this game challenging as always. If GGG thinks it's right to do so, it must be.
♦▲◄▼►▲♦ @Kadush ♦▲◄▼►▲♦
OP: 0/10.

Most posters in this thread: 10/10.

I can't agree with the whole 4 x 0 = 0 thing flying around (obvious exaggeration, but still), but this definitely doesn't destroy the game. Tired of people claiming PoE is turning into D3. A coworker of mine started the new D3 season and in ONE WEEKEND had a 96 paragon level with full set of legendaries and face tanks everything with no challenge (while helping about 10 other people hit level cap). Show me one example of someone starting a new league in PoE where in the same timeframe they have the most GG rares/uniques, hit level 100 and facetank everything in the game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info