Developer Questions and Answers

Regarding the Rightous Fire skill; it's pretty weak on its own (pure RF) especially comparing to other DOT skills like Poison Arrow. Did you never intend for RF to be run as a fully sustained main skill and instead as an occasional dmg boost for the more spell dmg?
The Deterministic Lockstep mode in 2.0 is magnificent, and I feel like it's already taken for granted a bit.

Was there a break-through "ah-ha" moment when you and your team thought, "You know, we can make this actually work!"? What made it possible, and what unexpected challenges did you face?

I am really curious to know more about how this all happened. Honestly, never thought I'd see the day that I'd play without desynch.
Considering the current difficulty progressions, connecting the end of Normal directly to the beginning of Merciless with - 60% resi would be just fine without any additional balancing.

Any comment from ggg?
_________________________________________________________________________________
Hi,

1) are you considering somehow promote gameplay over trading? For example with account bound items. What is eventually wrong with that?

2) There is basically no reward for beating merciless Malachai. Are you considering to add something as reward for beating the game? Now when we have divination cards, warbands and other things to hunt (specters) I think it will be cool to have all merciless areas scaled up to level 68 after beating Malachai.

3) Now when Act 4 is finally released will you invest something into game upgrades you were last time classified as too much expensive? I would love to see new or revamped skills with new animations or shapeshifting!
_________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading and apologies for my english.
Last edited by Langhun on Aug 25, 2015, 11:28:01 AM
Aspiring game developer here.

What's some learning material on Game Design you would recommend? Books, blogs, guides, video series (I know of the wonderful Extra Credits, but any else?), presentations, whatever else you have, I'd love to learn.
Last edited by Kiloku on Aug 25, 2015, 9:43:56 AM
What is the maximum latency you will be balancing this game around?

Or it it going to be around lockstep, from now on? (Which is to say, about 50max, right?)

On a good day, my latency is 250+. Then there are the spikes, the cute little square-waves, the occasional city-scape, and the like. The faster the mobs move, of course, the more 'mysterious' the game becomes.

The effects of this vary: e.g. you stand there and shoot, you do very little damage ("Hey! WTF?!"), while the thing in your face keeps hitting... after mashing ALL your pots, you type /oos... and the thing re-appears (somewhere) BEHIND you.

This scenario, and all sorts of variations, happen OFTEN. As in several times PER MAP. ON A GOOD DAY!

Now that you have taken away the ability to semi-face-tank (leech+pact), the only thing you can do is... use your pots... and then you die.

I can say this with certainty: given how often these things happen, given how much more brittle ALL my chars now are (well, 70% of them are now dead/ unplayable), there is no way I will ever level up beyond maybe 93, as the upper limit. Higher level maps? Ha ha!! Bosses, with their death-by-a-thousand=invisible=one-shots? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

What is the point of this game, for those like me, now? Before, desync was annoying, or sometimes very annoying - now, it is consistently LETHAL. (Desync is now something I actually have to play around all the time - e.g. running away in such as manner as to try and allow fewer placement options for the 'magically-displaced' mobs.)

By increasing the consequence(s) of desync, you've gone and made it VERY MUCH WORSE!!!

So I want to know what your intentions are. And please, no more BS-ing. I'm really tired of all the spin-doctoring. Take a stand, state your position. If I am not to even try and play this game, then TELL ME SO.
IGN: AngelicWitchy - CET+2
Last edited by CoronaBunny on Aug 25, 2015, 10:02:11 AM
Why is it always raining in Wraeclast?

I can't even see arrows, lightning arrows, rain of arrows because it's always raining.

Will we ever get an umbrella MTX which could turn off rain ?

I know rain is your baby but it's ruining immersion into the game when you can't see objects hitting you because of the torential downpour.
echo "The world is full of smart people" |sed -e 's/smart people/sheep/'
Game Related:

1. ACT 4 - Side Quests
Will there be some more side quests/areas added to Act 4? Compared to the other acts it feels a bit stressful, running from a hard boss fight to the next even harder one, without some time to relax and do a fun side quest in between.

2. Multimod - Price Reduction
The post that announced the removal of Eternal Orbs hinted that you were discussing to decrease the cost of Elreon's multimod craft. Is that off the table? Would love to see a price reduction for non-weapon multimods at least.

3. Game Clarity
Are you satisfied with the state of game clarity? At the moment the inofficial wiki is a absolutely necessary source of information to be able to understand how skills interact with support gems and many other parts of the game. Are planning to add a tutorial to the game maybe?

4. Master Mod Hierarchy
What happens when you vaal orb a Prefixes cannot be changed item? Can only the suffixes reroll then? I really would like to know that one. If the master craft is higher in Hierarchy than a Scouring Orb than I would assume the protected mods would survive a Vaal Orb reroll?

5. Localization
A friend of mine who got interested on what I was playing asked me if PoE was availlable in other languages than english. Are there or will there ever be localized versions? Or a way for the community to create custom localization files.

6. The original "Path" of Exile?
In Act 1 you have to travel through Merveil's Lair because Piety blocks the Emperor's Road with Spikes. But what would have been the standard way people would take to Sarn from the forest encampment on? Cross Kraitlyn's bridge to the other side of Lake Constance and travel on to the northwest? If that's the case it would be really really cool if a 'Lake Constance' zone would be added with an entrace to City of Sarn in the north and the other half of the broken bridge on the south.

Not Game Related:

7. 10 Years of GGG
In November 2016 you are going to have your 10th anniversary as a company. Are you already making plans for a company event and are you looking forward to it? What is your favorite kind of cake?

8. Horror Reef, Unique Shirt
At what vendor did Chris get his Horror Reef shirt? That shirt is amazing.

9. Fishing
This sure has been asked before: Do you guys enjoy RL fishing?
Last edited by Bratzekatze on Aug 25, 2015, 11:09:38 AM
"
MagpieMcGraw wrote:
Are you thinking about a Linux port? Have you considered running some limited time sale on special cosmetic items to help fund it? Have you considered hiring Ryan Gordon to do it? I hear he's ported quite a lot of games to Linux.

The reason I'm asking this is because I ditched windows entirely with the arrival of Windows10, but I really want to play PoE :p

Also planning on ditching Win10.
Please list what needs to happen to create a Linux client.
I'm sure the fanbase can provide for it.

regards
B
I have lots of questions:

About the history of the game:

How did this Path of Exile proyect started? When? by whom?

Was it a carefuly planned proyect or was it like "I'm bored, let's make a game"?

What where the first trubles the GGG team had to deal with? Money? Coding? Food? Government?

Why the name Grinding Gear Games?

Who came with the idea of that Passive Tree?

Who came up with the idea of the corrupted continent?

About GGG people:

How is it working on the development of GGG?

Can I ask to the forum people, how is it to work checking the threads? Have you had moments like "LOL, that was a good come back, on probation anyways"?

How many persons are checking the behavior of the players in the forums or in the Global channels?

What does a human need to work with GGG? Does one need to be a pure blood Kiwi?

Thank you and have a nice day GGG.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info