Master Crafting Metamods

"
millsz wrote:
Dear GGG,

Your acceptance and endorsement of players misleading other players leads to a Hobbesian, laisse-faire system. I might want to kill monsters in such a fantasy world, but I do not want to interact or trade with other people in one.

This is very well said.
"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch
i always thought this "let players find out secrets themselves" strategy is a nice one as it rewards players who invest in "science".

i still think it serves it's purpose, there is just one thing missing: ggg should reveal disclosed techniques some time after they are found by a player and he got his profit.

i would give it 3 weeks until i would reveal things.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
nothing but more LIE
"
grepman wrote:
"
kreca73 wrote:
why do you people fail to see and talk about the most important part in all of this?.
it's not the recipe itself but the way those 1% had access to what people want, to the demand; the scanning of people inventories and character sheets.
that should be forbidden by GGG 'cause its like everyone getting a cavity search from TSA every few minutes or so.
I agree that this is bad, however I want to see the receipts first. There is no proof inventory and stash of every private profile can be scanned. I work as a software engineer, and i work with databases among other things. Db calls are expensive. Do you know why procurement takes a while to load stash tabs if you have like 100 ? Because poe limits the amount of api calls you can make to limit db load / avoid ddos. And that's when you're LOGGED in in your own account.

I believe VOC with most of his story besides this tidbit. Simply because you'd need a server farm with computing power to reliably mine bitcoins to scan thousands of peoples inventory in real time with timeout limit on Api calls. And you somehow need to access their stash. Poe.trade crawls forum posts, ie items that people made public and linked to stash. We are talking about a tool that can crawl databases in real time, making calls it should never have access to.

What's the last time a noon received a whisper who knew what the noob just picked up?

Now I'm not saying its impossible. maybe there's a hack on item id in a way that you can access others stash. Maybe there's a way to bypass api limit.maybe these guy have a farm to do these things. I'll need some proof first tho

i found 2ex in 1 day(on different chars) and minutes after i traded to have them both on the same char, someone asked me if i'd sell them.
i'm not/was not on any chat nor do i advertised the EX'es. so, tinfoily or not, i found it weird to say the least.

still, based on the specific items they'd craft and put up for sale, in a fresh league(meaning the OP metas are not that well known, hence what the demand will be) i chose to infer that they had more than assumptions(based on their experience, game nohow and whatnot).
Last edited by kreca73 on Aug 21, 2015, 4:24:17 AM
"
Chris wrote:
Why was this behaviour not clearly documented?

A large part of crafting and trading in Path of Exile is access to information. The value of items relative to the current metagame is constantly shifting. The value of mods rolled on items changes over time also. For example, +3 bow skills is great at the moment, but has been terrible in the past. There are secret recipes - one that generates a Regal Orb was only added to the wiki today, despite being in the game for years and also known by many people.

When we introduce new orbs, mods, items or crafting systems, we don't explain how to use them. The intention is that players try them out and find out what works. We feel that's a lot more fun than us just handing you an optimal crafting guide. Path of Exile is all about being rewarded for being clever.
this doesnt' answer the question "why", this only describes what you usually do, not your reasons.

"
Chris wrote:
Why did Carl quickly delete a reddit comment last year clarifying how this works?

He didn't want to accidentally reveal what was, at the time, not commonly known by the community. In the same way to how we don't reveal vendor recipes, we don't want to accidentally affect the natural progression of how players work out crafting tricks.
no it wasn't revealing but pointing out false information. that's (clarifying what is true or not and how things work in this game) is almost only reason dev post should exist (outside of announcments and other similar things)

"
Chris wrote:
Orb of Scouring says "Removes all properties from an item"! Why doesn't it remove mods that are locked?

The purpose of Mods is to override the regular game rules.
can we have tooltip near every mod that overrides other rules about it's behaviour? for a long time it was common idea "wording in poe is very accurate" and now it seems that actually sometimes it's not true

"
Chris wrote:
Is the behaviour going to stay like this?

It's very likely, unless some surprising problems are found. It has been used by people for quite some time, and while it's a powerful crafting method, it's an intentional feature that just happens to be hitting public adoption a bit later than we expected.
combined with
"
Chris wrote:
Please note that there is incentive for people to mislead others if they find a secret recipe or crafting trick.
looks like misleading others for profit is intentional

yeah, i know people will do this anyway, but for me it's important to know if devs encourage this behavior* or not

* - by making game the way that situations when you can be an asshole are common. misleading is only one example, there are quite many posts about dirty trading trick - hey, there are plenty 0c b/o items for sale that nobody will give you for free (0c is free, right?)
People shouldn't be so hard on Qarl. Anyone can make a mistake.
P.D: Triplicate the drop ratio of Exalted Orbs, problem "solved"
Laughable.

Many known PoE players, including popular streamers, were all lying publicly about the scouring and shit, fooling the playerbase and their own fans. They've spread misinformation, lies, and GGG decided to defend it, support it. What the fuck were they thinking when they deleted Qarl's post though. "Haha Qarl, let the playerbase be fooled. Let the misinformation be spread." lol

I don't give a shit if someone finds a secret recipe or whatever, keeps it a secret and make a ton of mirrors with it. What's laughable is that the elites are allowed to publicly spread misinformation and screw 99.99% of the playerbase. I know I'm repeting myself, but it's just gay.

Nonetheless, the brainless fanboys will keep supporting those elites who lied in their faces. They'll keep seeing them as gods and be at their feet even though they got screwed and got laughed at.

Oh well. GGG being at popular streamers' feet and at the 0.01% elites playing Path of Economy's feet. What's new.

I don't think any of this really affects me though. And all this drama kept me entertained so thanks!

A question though. Why do you allow popular players to publicly spread lies with the intention of screwing the entire playerbase (99.99%) without interfering?
First of all I'd like to express my appreciation for the devs & Chris that came out with this post in the manifesto with a swift air-clarifying-response.

My concern towards @ devs/Chris is:
Scourings DID remove metamods pre 2.0.
Scourings DO NOT remove metamods post 2.0.

It is one thing not to reveal a recipe, but the described above is a change in the game.
Obviously one should not test every game mechanic after each patch, that's what patch notes are for.
Why wasn't a change in the game never mentioned in 2.0 patch notes? (or any other patch notes for that matter).

That's the real discouraging question around here, I believe, that must be answered by a dev.
"
StriderHiryu wrote:
P.D: Triplicate the drop ratio of Exalted Orbs, problem "solved"

Why would they do that now ? The economy will stabilize, give it some time. Players are reacting crazily right now, exactly like in real life, but it doesn't make sense and it will fix itself.
The lvl 20 gem + gcp = 20%gem was exactly the same situation, minus the qarl incident. Some players knew about it for months before it became public knowledge, when the news broke, a lot of ppl said "rip gcp" and thought gcp's value would drop to nothing. 2 years later, the gcp still trades at around the same price...
And in a few weeks, if the situation is not satisfying, GGG can just release a vendor recipe for like 50 chaos = 1 ex to fix the market if needs be.

"
A question though. Why do you allow popular players to publicly spread lies with the intention of screwing the entire playerbase (99.99%) without interfering?

Because we're not in kindergarten and GGG is not your mommy. We, players, decided to trust some people, and we misplaced our trust. Lesson learned. GGG's philosophy is to let the game, the economy, to be player driven for as most as possible.

"
Scourings DO NOT remove metamods post 2.0.

Developpers say it's false and code hasn't been changed at all. Already, some of the people who pretends that they did test it and it didn't work, are now saying that they may be wrong, and may remember badly something. The reality is that it always worked, a few people spreaded false information pretending it didn't work, and a lot more people trusted them and pretended it didn't work but it did all the time.
Last edited by Dawmz on Aug 21, 2015, 4:46:29 AM
This doesn't matter. Learn to play the game efficiently.

I'm a below average player, but I've made at least 15 ex in Warbands so far,
and it was done PURELY through farming. Not even crafting. Sell more stuff.

I'm literally doing better in this league than any previously. This whole "mirrorgate" shit will correct itself over time, anyways. Quit whining and play the game. Or don't. Good riddance.
Last edited by dasfilth on Aug 21, 2015, 4:45:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info