[Petition] PoE Needs an in game Auction House.

"
Dawmz wrote:
It's a feature that fundamentally impacts the economy, and would definitely accentuate the gap between the top 0.1% items and the 99.99% (now worthless).

"now worthless", the situation would not be changed by an AH.

And again,a preconceived idea idea of how an 'auction' would work, completely wrong. it does not need to be in real time, and bids can be completely hidden. There are many ways to design and conduct a marketplace (don't call it an AH, it's a loaded term). the current design is comepletely lazy to save resources. You guys lack imagination (or experience).

They no longer have an excuse (is just an other issue like not having an excuse for poor graphic performance), now that desync is gone optimization and trading are the two next major issues.
Last edited by knac84 on Aug 22, 2015, 8:51:14 PM
Diablo 3's AH didn't work because of how Diablo 3 was striucte4ed as a strictly limited linear power progression. Path of Exile is not structured that way.

A Trading Post similar in design to that of Guild Wars 2 would bring a huge amount of egalitarian wealth distribution. Rather than the exploitation system of trading Path of Exile features currently.

The actual block to a fair and elegant trading system is that GGG have no strong aversion (from a design point of view) to players capitalizing or exploiting the market or behaving in a cutthroat manner where game systems are concerned (see: the previous free-for-all looting GGG defended for months).

GGG do not mind players being 'jerks'/'dicks', they mind players being offensive, rude, insulting, etc. But they are totally cool and enjoy when a player figures out a 'secret' recipe to corner a market or when a player outruns their party mates to the exalt drop.

I personally do not enjoy any game system that allows gross exploitation or greatly benefits engaging in behavior I deem to be lowly.

Path of Exile's 'economy' is the worst among any video game I have played in 20+ years.
Every man's conscience is vile and depraved. You can not rely on it to be your guide when it's you who must keep it satisfied.
Last edited by Fencers on Aug 22, 2015, 9:02:26 PM
"
knac84 wrote:
"
Dawmz wrote:
It's a feature that fundamentally impacts the economy, and would definitely accentuate the gap between the top 0.1% items and the 99.99% (now worthless).

"now worthless", the situation would not be changed by an AH.

Off course it would. Right now you have a huge "middle" market in PoE, all those rares that you can sell for 1-20c. With illimited offline automatic transactions, you would see a huge deflation on this market, and a huge inflation on the top market. 0.01% of items will cost a ton of exalts, then all the stuff that is sold for like 10-30 chaos right now will quickly drop to 1-3c, and the current "bad stuff" like items with 60 life / 30 res or whatever that you can sell today for 1-2c will never sale anymore.
It always ends up like this when you have an economy with super easy and fast transactions. The only case where an AH works well, is the WoW case. Because it's an economy very closed, a lot of stuff is soulbound and not tradable, the rest is all generic stuff like reagents with pseudo fixed prices and a few fixed items tradable.
Then casual players will even more quit the game because they will feel that their playtime is useless after a few weeks. 20c in the AH and you will be full equipped with good rares, and the next upgrade will cost 10ex or so. Might as well quit.
It's just the nature of these games. Trading has to be "hard", or at the very least not automatic and not instant, to keep players engaged with the actual game.

"

And again,a preconceived idea idea of how an 'auction' would work, completely wrong. it does not need to be in real time, and bids can be completely hidden. There are many ways to design and conduct a marketplace (don't call it an AH, it's a loaded term). the current design is comepletely lazy to save resources. You guys lack imagination (or experience).

They no longer have an excuse (is just an other issue like not having an excuse for poor graphic performance), now that desync is gone optimization and trading are the two next major issues.

Well, if your idea is that GGG should make a poe.trade like, I don't see why they would waste their time and resources. If poe.trade disappear tomorrow, another site will take its place.
When players such as the op here are asking for en AH, we know exactly what they want : offline trading with no social interaction between the buyer and the seller. This would kill the game, very very fast.
"
knac84 wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
PoE doesn't need one. Third parties filled in the gaps.
Relaying on third parties to cover a necessity of your product is STUPID (with caps, yes) from business and operations PoV. There is so much wrong with this that I don't even know where to start...

The fact is if poe.trade went away tomorrow a large part of the player base would be gone with it.
1. GGG didn't need to develop it themselves. That saves a lot of money. I thought that, in general, maneuvering yourself such that someone does your job, doesn't charge you, and you still get paid for it, would qualify as smart.
2. Kind of. If poe.trade fell a clone would arise to replace it within 72 hours. Many would "quit" and there would be epic forum drama, but by the following weekend most (not all) of those quitters would be back. To put it in perspective: how many people are quitting over the mastercrafting metamods drama? Well, about that many.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 22, 2015, 9:47:54 PM
Here we go,again....

Keep your auction house far way as there is nothing wrong with the current system. I get any item I want and on top of that I interact with total strangers and have a blast communicating with them.

If you can not understand the current system, which is piss easy as it is than it says more about you than the need for an auction house. Poe is based on the trade interaction and always has been, why would you want to take that away... Unless your serious anti social, casual or cba to figer the current trade system.

The spam in the trade channels is meh, but I never join them or even read them. You do not need any of those channels. Using poe.trade, your forum shop and procurement you can sell or buy anything. Ofcourse of cba to set it up than obvious the current system is non existent.

No need for ah, adjust instead
It's probably pointless to pitch in, but I'm all for AH myself. I love AH's in games. It does not detract from player interaction from my view point... It's either that or nonstop spamming in the trade channel. I'll take AH any day of the week.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
1. GGG didn't need to develop it themselves. That saves a lot of money. I thought that, in general, maneuvering yourself such that someone does your job, doesn't charge you, and you still get paid for it, would qualify as smart.

Well ofc, if your users don't care about QoL, moral hazards or the extra features that could come with an integrated system. That says more about PoE playerbase than anything else though. The fact that the current system works (through forum posts) to enable third parties can already (and is being) abused.

"
2. Kind of. If poe.trade fell a clone would arise to replace it within 72 hours. Many would "quit" and there would be epic forum drama, but by the following weekend most (not all) of those quitters would be back. To put it in perspective: how many people are quitting over the mastercrafting metamods drama? Well, about that many.

If poe.trade is taken down it will probably because it cannot sustain traffic reliably (which kind of it's happening already due to constant outages of service and addition of ads), a new site won't change that.

"
Off course it would. Right now you have a huge "middle" market in PoE, all those rares that you can sell for 1-20c. With illimited offline automatic transactions, you would see a huge deflation ...

Virtually anybody buying those items already knows of poe.trade, the price discovery wouldn't change significantly. The only way it would hurt the average player is if you design an AH (or a marketplace) so that bot undercutting it's possible, thanks god there are many ways around that, just if game designers took them in mind instead of mindlessly cloning the AH of your FOTM MMO...

Anyway, I refuse to call it an AH, what we need is a proper in-game integrated proper marketplace, how it's designed is open to discussion, but making excuses for it to not happen does not work.
"
Hilldrake wrote:
OP and everyone else, PLEASE, PLEASE...

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1392101

Stop ignoring my post X_X

Not bad, yet my suggestion for a new Trade System is simpler to implement and more effective.

Publicly displayed Trade Boxes in Trade Tab (images inside)
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/742150

However, no matter the Trade System suggestion anyone posts, the least that can be done is for GGG to implement a Trade tab in the Social Panel so players can post their trades there instead of spamming the Party tab.

However, for players who try to type in trade-related posts with the keywords WTB, WTS (among other) in the Party tab, their trade post would be blocked upon making their trade post public, whereupon a message in red would come up just under the search bar saying, "You cannot use trade-related keywords in Party tab"
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Aug 23, 2015, 5:43:34 AM
"
Poe is based on the trade interaction and always has been, why would you want to take that away...

Definition of trade interaction in PoE:

Copy paste preload sentence on poetrade.
Send it to seller.
Seller will send you a paste of a sentence like " Hi ok my hideout please "
Buyer will say t4t
Seller will say t4t

Yup ... 2015 interactions between people on internet tend to use a lot the ctrl + C ctrl + V
Hf :)
GGG may improve trading via the forum but they have said repeatedly that they will NEVER have an AH in the game. Some type of trade improvement will eventually make it into the game, if they can get the coding right but a standard AH style will never happen.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info