[2.1] Crit Tri Curse Perma Freeze Over a 100k tooltip not counting curses 6k+ehp (no longer updated)

I DON'T PLAN ON UPDATING THIS GUIDE

To preface this build, you need to understand that in my Guild, we try to make builds that helps the other party members. While we make them for solo as well, the main aim is to make mapping easier for the whole team. To this end we got to work creating a bunch of team friendly builds, this build is one of them.

Before you go "support build! ewwww!" I have some disclaimers. This build can do high level maps with ease, oneshotting pretty much everything solo. In fact it does so much damage, that I try to limit the DPS of the build in some cases, to make the guild culler able to actually cull stuff in parties. Otherwise i will be oneshotting stuff even in a full party.

Second the survivability of the build is high, it's a hybrid build so you can have 6k ehp easy without major investment into gear. You will also have at least 3 endurance charges always up for phys mitigation, as well as an immortal call linked with cast-when-damage-taken and increased duration. But the main defense is the freeze ability. Darresso can't kill you when he can't move. You can just hit him with impunity and laugh. (As well as any boss in the game)

So with that out of the way, lets get down to the meat and potatoes of the build. The concept is rather simple, use Freeze Pulse for its base high damage, and then get max projectile speed to counteract the damage loss at range as well as make the freeze pulse cover the screen.

The Freeze is accomplished by grabbing some freeze duration nodes in the tree, and then by lots of jewels. I currently have 5. I have 114% increased freeze duration, not counting frostbite.

Pros And Cons

Some Pros
1)Fast clear speed
2)Good survivability
3)Watching tough bosses like Merveil and Vaal go down without a single attack(even on twinned maps)
4)Help out your party members with tri curses and a frozen map

Some Cons
1)Some chaos damage bosses like Maligaro are tough since they like to desecrate the ground even while frozen (this can be avoided by getting better Chaos res on gear, have none atm)
2)Can't do elemental reflect maps(although can handle the occasional rare that comes along)
3)Can't do blood magic maps
4)The new immune to status effect mod is annoying but still more then doable
5)Curse Immune Maps are annoying, and very hard post t12

Character Sheets

Tooltip
Taken with only 3 Frenzy Charges

Offense In hideout (non buffed) I expect dps to get even higher though with controlled destruction leveled.

Defense Page

Gear

As you can see it corrupted with our first curse elemental weakness, while a maligaro is BIS, you can use it with the curse on hit or opt for a clean one if its too expensive for you, or just use a different glove with the curse on hit corruption.
Note this curse is global, so it curses any spell or attack that's socketed in any item, not just those socketed in the maligaro gloves.

The Pledge is probably one of the better items you can use as a weapon, while you can use dual wands/daggers, or opt for a +3 cold gems with spell damage and cast speed, a six linked pledge of hands gives us comparable stats and double mana, as well as lots of cast speed granted by the level thirty echo, so without any cast speed in the tree we are casting five times per second.

For our third curse, the second curse is given by the tree, if you can get a additional curse amulet, you can then drop this item for a rare ring or a berek's grip for 1% life leech. Or just get quad curses.

A rare ring, not much to about it other then it covers our resistances and provides us with crit, life and es. Not the best ring, but not the worst. Don't really see a need to replace it.

A typical crit spell damage amulet. Not much more needed to say, just make sure you have a good one, it adds an easy 10k to your tooltip.

My helmet is certainly not the best, but it does the job. It help cover resistances and provides life and energy shield.

A decent hybrid belt. Life energy shield and tri res. A good foundation.

Resistances, life and movement speed. These boots are on top of my upgrade list, but they do the job.

I like this chest mainly for the life on kill. This negates one of the problems hybrid has which is chaos damage, as i don't have to life pot, on every pack that has a little chaos damage.

Gems

(listed in order Importance)

Pledge of Hands:Freeze Pulse - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Faster Projectiles - Faster Casting - Added Cold - Controlled Destruction (Yes I know i'm using 3 off colors, if you can't get the needed colors other good gems to consider is Increased Critical Damage, Empower, and Life Leech.

3 or 4 link: Cast when damage taken level 8 - immortal call level 10 - increased duration - (Flame Golem If your chest is a six link, otherwise molten shell level 14)

4 Link:Herald of Ice - Ice Bite-Curse On hit - Warlords Mark

4 Link:Herald of Thunder - Curse on hit - Frostbite - Warlords Mark

Chest: 5 or 6 link Arc - Curse on hit - warlords mark - faster casting - frostbite - Chain (Put flame golem here if you have a five link chest)

We use no auras, only two heralds, herald of ice and herald of thunder. Herald of ice is linked with curse on hit, warlords mark, and ice bite. The Ice Bite is nice as it gives us free frenzy charges.

Herald of thunder is linked with curse on hit, warlords mark, and frostbite. Combined with the curse we get from the gloves, we are tri cursing.

Build

Witch Shadow Ranger
Doesn't make a difference which tree you pick.
Bandits are Oak - Kill All - Kill All

FAQ

(Q)Why don't you use hypothermia?
(A) Firstly hypothermia doesn't add any damage against non frozen enemies, adding hypothermia, would mean less damage to bosses, which then translates to no freeze to high level bosses. And our dps is certainly high enough against everything else that you don't need it. Besides I'm not convinced I can even see the difference.

(Q) Why Controlled Destruction in a crit build?
(A) For some reason the 100% reduced crit, not 100% less. This means we only lose 5% crit, but gain a huge boost in damage, which translates to more freeze.

(Q) Do I really have to recolor my pledge all over again?
(A) Yes

(Q) Why no blasphemy?
(A) I tried very hard to make blasphemy work, but after taking most of my mana, and stealing my heralds, the radius was way too small. I'm just going to pretend it doesn't exist.

(Q) Why do you take Vaal Pact, with no life leech gem?
(A) Since we are cursing with warlords mark. It gives us 2% life leech and 2% mana leech. This is the same amount of leech that the life leech gem gives, besides letting us sustain our mana.

(Q) Why do you not use a shavs, and go low life?
(A) Going low life means we lose ehp thus becoming much less tanky. (We are losing 3k life) Additionally, I feel it might be wasted, since this build is so starved on gem slots. That said, if I can make it work I would, since gaining even more damage will help with the freeze.

Change Log

1/16/2016
  • Changed description of maligaro slightly to help with confusion over how the curse works
  • Added to FAQ section

• Changed Links in pledge (swapped Cold Pen for Controlled Destruction
  • Added a sixth link to the curse on hit just because
  • New tree
  • Tooltip pic updated
  • Defense pic updated
  • Added FAQ
  • Reworked the guide slightly

IGN SuperGaco
Last edited by Supergaco on Mar 2, 2016, 1:24:24 PM
Last bumped on Mar 10, 2016, 11:52:11 AM
I've seen the build in action. The dps is legit and every monsters in the screen gets frozen.
I like it. Was trying a totem freezing pulse build but I like the looks of this build better. Maybe a leveling section could be added.
A few questions:

Why not use Hypothermia instead of Added Cold? It provides a 39% more damage modifier at level 20 against chilled enemies and an additional 10% chance to freeze them which seems too good to pass up here.

Why not use an Ice Golem instead of a Flame Golem? Wouldn't critical chance be preferable to increased damage?

Would Temporal Chains be a viable alternative to Frostbite?

Up until which map level can you consistently permafreeze map bosses? Do you need single or dual curse for that?

Lastly, do you think the build is viable with a +2 cold staff if one cannot afford a 5L Pledge of Hands? If so, what would be your 5L gem setup?
Honestly this was a remake of an old toon. (When 2.0 hit we got that free respec)
But the build doesn't seem hard to level at all. So I can probably add one. :)
IGN SuperGaco
"
Rockstopper wrote:
A few questions:

Why not use Hypothermia instead of Added Cold? It provides a 39% more damage modifier at level 20 against chilled enemies and an additional 10% chance to freeze them which seems too good to pass up here.

Why not use an Ice Golem instead of a Flame Golem? Wouldn't critical chance be preferable to increased damage?

Would Temporal Chains be a viable alternative to Frostbite?

Up until which map level can you consistently permafreeze map bosses? Do you need single or dual curse for that?

Lastly, do you think the build is viable with a +2 cold staff if one cannot afford a 5L Pledge of Hands? If so, what would be your 5L gem setup?

Well I can start with hypothermia. I used it before in a different build, (also perma freeze) and it didnt seem to work. I saw no faster clear speed. And with a increase that hypothermia claims to give I think I would see it. Providing it worked like it says it does, I would use it over added cold.

The build crit chance is 40.02. While an ice golem would increase it, I dont think it really needs it, seeing how it casts at 5 times per sec. Plus the way freeze works, it has to roll a chance to freeze then the hit from cold damage has to take enough life. (so bigger hits = better freeze as opposed to lots of small ones) to that end i got crit multi in tree, and the flame golem to increase the overall damage. Now freeze duration is the thing that helps the less damage, since the more freeze the less damage you have to do. But you need heaps of both.

Yes temp chains is amazing for freeze, only reason i like frostbite is for the pen, i have a scary amount of cold pen including curses ele weakness lvl 10 gives 29% frostbite lvl 20 gives 44% plus cold pen gives 37%, and tree gives 3%. So 113% cold pen. Not included is the buff given by curse on hit and the 10% buff from tree.

And i can perma freeze so far at least anyboss. didnt try core yet, but darresso, kaom, dom, piety, all down, and perma frozen. And dont know about the curses, I only tried it with three, at least at that level. I imagine you would. A single target spell might lessen the need for the curses though, have to test.
+2 cold 5 link would work, but no where comparable to a pledge of hands. I can imagine you can do early maps with it though. My links would be FP-Echo-Faster Projectiles-GMP/LMP-Cold Pen. Sorry for the wall of text but I hope i answered all your questions!
IGN SuperGaco
Last edited by Supergaco on Aug 18, 2015, 10:14:35 AM
Thanks for the reply. The part about Hypothermia not working as intended sounds a bit weird to me, and I believe it requires further testing because the more modifier looks really good on paper.

Another question I forgot to ask: How would you sustain mana cost without Atziri's Splendour? A single cast of your 7L Freezing Pulse costs around 100 mana if I'm not mistaken, and you cast them at a rate of 5 per second. I'm assuming the chest covers the mana sustain against packs, and you only need the duration of Vaal Clarity for prolonged casting against bosses, but the chest is nearly unobtainable in a (hardcore) challenge league. Is Warlord's Mark sufficient here?
Last edited by Rockstopper on Aug 18, 2015, 11:01:29 AM
"
Rockstopper wrote:
Thanks for the reply. The part about Hypothermia not working as intended sounds a bit weird to me, and I believe it requires further testing because the more modifier looks really good on paper.

Another question I forgot to ask: How would you sustain mana cost without Atziri's Splendour? A single cast of your 7L Freezing Pulse costs around 100 mana if I'm not mistaken, and you cast them at a rate of 5 per second. I'm assuming the chest covers the mana sustain against packs, and you only need the duration of Vaal Clarity for prolonged casting against bosses, but the chest is nearly unobtainable in a (hardcore) challenge league. Is Warlord's Mark sufficient here?

The splendor actually does nothing for our mana, it sustains perfectly off warlords mark. And i recently five linked my chest, put a curse on hit arc in there. And i could sustain perfectly on bosses now. No need for vaal clarity. And no need for the chest, i just like it for the life on kill. You can use a decent carnal armour, or anything else really.
IGN SuperGaco
I've played a lot with Gaco, mostly as a culler. It's been fun seeing this build evolve to be even stronger than his previous versions in PoE 2.0. It's so much fun being able to stack crazy high magic find, run hard maps with a 6 person party, and cull every single rare and unique mob to get GG drops. This kind of thing requires dedicated freeze builds like this and/or high end permastun ones.

As Gaco said, this build has excellent clear speed. I recently ran some maps with him using my legacy Mjolner discharger. He was clearing so fast that when I used Molten Strike as my trigger, it was actually rare for me to even trigger a discharge. Packs would be dead before my Molten Strike balls ever had a chance to hit the ground. I could hit bosses and rares, but not the trash mobs.

I look forward to further evolutions of this build. I can't wait to start culling Core map bosses with a 6 man team and a culler after Warbands ends. I don't think the build is quite that strong yet, but it's getting there.

BTW, I suggest adding a pair of pro and con bullet lists. When I read build guides I find them very helpful.
2.6 BLS Berserker budget shaper farmer build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1882710
Thanks Lumpy added it!
IGN SuperGaco

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info