Map drops - assessment of 2.0.0, and changes coming in 2.0.2

Biggest issue with GGG's mapping system is:
I have to farm many maps to find a few maps of which i only like a few map's layout of which only a even less fewer maps give a ridiculously small ammount of xp.

Fix that by making maps more common and limiting their drop level to not only max. 2 levels higher than the current, but also max -2 levels below current maplevel.

In addition to that, remember:
High level maps should be hard to run, not hard to sustain.

Warbands is the first league i find where there are absolutely ZERO "Free XY maps" parties.
I remember other temp leagues beeing full of mapping groups available, just hop into one of the groups, have fun, run maps with some random guys and enjoy leveling.
Right now, it seems everyone is only trading since sustaining maps is too anoying.
Last edited by RedStreakyCat on Aug 12, 2015, 4:14:30 AM
"
Dawmz wrote:
Well, it's the second time in the history of this game that you are clearly giving up your "vision" because of forum whining. Last time was ffa loot, it didn't turn out very badly ; I hope this time it won't either but I guess everyone will be sustaining 79 maps in a week; and jungle valley/torture chamber bosses will have their dmg divided by 4 or something.
The argument about the "dominant version of the game" is also very sad to hear ; GGG used to not care about what the majority wants, they did the game they wanted themselves ; not the game the masses in softcore want. Hope you won't lose your soul too much on this path.

So? If a player can run 82s whats the problem of him sustaining them? He worked hard to be able to do that content, let him. You think its cool to have players doing content too easy for them? I don't thats that why no other game does it. Like game making 101 steady progression to the next hardest level... doh? Like when you boot tetris and beat a 34 map they dont buck you back to 30. Naw you go to 35.

This is the only game in I've ever seen in my life that does that. Hence I think it has worst end game ever.

Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Aug 12, 2015, 4:22:28 AM
I Just imagine a lvl 78+ Zana Daily in Dried Lake --> Kill the corrupted boss...

I hate this shitty boss so much i wouldnt even start attacking him...
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

So? If a player can run 82s whats the problem of him sustaining them?

I suppose because map level alone says little about the difficulty of a map. That's already true when you look at late Normal vs. early Cruel and is magnified at high levels when players (usually) have well-rounded builds. A gray 82 map is only marginally harder than a gray 79, the difficulty comes from the mods you roll and so GGG try to force you to roll hard mods by tying map drops to map IIQ. That would be fair enough except a) map crashes being increasingly likely the more mods you roll (fracture, beyond, packsize, sea witches) b) the RNG factor doesn't guarantee useful map drops no matter how high the IIQ.

Now they can, hopefully, fix A but I'm not sure what they can do about B barring a whole redesign of the system.
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
make high level maps hard, not hard to find..
"
Ismaell wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:
"
db183 wrote:
Building a base of lower maps and working your way up slowly in no way 'reduces variance' of the map drops. Map drops are the same in a 74+ maps whether you have 1 or 1000 of them.

Sure, slowly building that base and working up will help you sustain the map level you built up to for a longer period of time. However, you still had to run hundreds of maps that were low level to get to that point. This is statistically no different than running your highest level map and resetting to the lower maps to get to that level again repeatedly. You end up with the same exact amount in the end.

The common hardcore method of using low level maps and working their way up is just a direct effect of out-leveling and out-gearing the content to stay safe-- The same thing HC players do throughout the entire game. HC players don't mind this because the play style of trivializing content to stay alive is the norm for them.

While when running a map doesn't matter (and "building a map base" provides psychological benefit, rather than statistical benefit), the hardcore players run lower level maps run that wouldn't be run on a standard league.

That the leagues had a very different shape was odd to us, and something we had to examine and see why. The "wall" was much more pronounced on Standard and Warbands than Tempest.

Because nobody on softcore at level 90+ wants to run fucking level 70 maps chief. Softcore is the yolo league, you do the hardest shit you can find to get to good maps then you hang out there for a bit. Hardcore, you slowly get your shit together.

Look at the amount of player deaths between SC and HC leagues, I'm sure you'll find there are interesting figures there too. It's a different game.

Exactly I do uber. OFC I had to buy every single mortal set due to shit RNG gating. But the fun is the challenge sometimes I used all 6 portals and got nothing because I'm yolo as hell - 4400 life 46% spell dodge and 40% dodge. Hope to kill them before they kill me with half million DPS. Even blue one shot me with one wrong move. Thats fun as hell. Steamrolling 78s is not let alone 76s. Until they fix maps game sucks.
Some of latest runs
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Aug 12, 2015, 4:43:29 AM
Dangerous... there's that word again.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"
Dawmz wrote:
Well, it's the second time in the history of this game that you are clearly giving up your "vision" because of forum whining. Last time was ffa loot, it didn't turn out very badly ; I hope this time it won't either but I guess everyone will be sustaining 79 maps in a week; and jungle valley/torture chamber bosses will have their dmg divided by 4 or something.
The argument about the "dominant version of the game" is also very sad to hear ; GGG used to not care about what the majority wants, they did the game they wanted themselves ; not the game the masses in softcore want. Hope you won't lose your soul too much on this path.

So? If a player can run 82s whats the problem of him sustaining them? He worked hard to be able to do that content, let him. You think its cool to have players doing content too easy for them? I don't thats that why no other game does it. Like game making 101 steady progression to the next hardest level... doh? Like when you boot tetris and beat a 34 map they dont buck you back to 30. Naw you go to 35.

This is the only game in I've ever seen in my life that does that. Hence I think it has worst end game ever.

Wether I think maps should be sustainable at 82, 79, 75 or not at all is irrelevant : I'm not a game designer of Path of Exile.
What matters is that I have a profound respect for GGG because of one thing : they are one of the last game companies who usually doesn't compromise with their visions of the game because of whiny feedbacks and/or players satisfaction level. They do the game that they want, the game that they like, and if a lot of people are liking it also, it's nice, if not, it's not the end of the world, other games exist. And this is great. So many of the games I liked have been ruined because their designers listened to the players (and when I say players, I should say consumers instead) who want everything, everytime, immediately and without any efforts whatsoever.
So I'm always sad when GGG does give up on their design. They always intended to have maps not sustainable, or hardly sustainable, after a certain level. They had the guts to recognize that this design goal was a bit lost during 1.3 because of a lot of things (specifically because of the addition of boxes + exiles + beyond mobs + shrines + ...), and to fix it. Now players are not happy, and they will fold.
But maybe I'm wrong, and they'll just minor adjustements to improve a bit the players life while not giving up on the idea of hard to sustain end game, we'll see how it goes.
Last edited by Dawmz on Aug 12, 2015, 4:57:30 AM
I can respect that if they gave a reason. I learned like when I was 15 you cant please everyone and when you try you piss off everyone. But I'd like to knwo reason is all
Git R Dun!
I really want to buy more suporter pack (i already think about this before act4 release),please make it hapend,give us "game" to play.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info